Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thank you. Yeah I did come across that and I did honestly think it was PC gone mad. I think the difference between praying for somebody who might not share your religious beliefs and actually having racist/ homophobic views is worlds apart though. On the one hand you have somebody who has caused offence purely accidentally and then you have other people who go out of their way to persecute minority groups and are motivated solely by ill-founded prejudice and hate. I don't disagree that people shouldn't be able to have their opinions but it's wrong to then suggest they're not homophobic when, rightly or wrongly, they can clearly and easily be construed that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    Just to finish off your sentence: You should be allowed to say what you want and when you want, as long as it isn't offensive to other people and as long as you're not trying to enforce your views on others. That isn't unreasonable, you know. We have to learn to respect each other. What kind of world would we live in if people were insulting each other all the time?
    Anything is offensive, tomorrow the word apple would be offensive to transsexuals

Even if it does offend you should be allowed to say it to be honest depending on the tone it is used in, and depending upon the situation involved.

Welcome to today and yesterday's world, where we did and do say offensive things...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    You should be allowed to say what you want and when you want, as long as it isn't offensive to other people [...] That isn't unreasonable, you know.
    Why shouldn't we be allowed to offend other people?

We have to learn to respect each other. What kind of world would we live in if people were insulting each other all the time?
    The REAL world. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Exactly, just cos you think a view is racist or homophoibc or sexist etc...does need to be censored...cos there is right to challenge. You should be allowed to say what you want, and when you want...
    As long as there's the right to challenge, then yes, people should be allowed to say what they want.

The gay civil rights movement has made great leaps forward over the past four decades but we didn't achieve that by force - it was done be reasoned persuasion. Most people realised that it's neither moral nor sensible to criminalise consensual sex between fully consenting adults. Now that gay people have achieved most of their rights, it would be wrong to turn around and say that those who oppose homosexuality must be silenced. They should have the right to express their opinions and we should be ready to constantly refute their bigoted claims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    You should be allowed to say what you want and when you want, as long as it isn't offensive to other people and as long as you're not trying to enforce your views on others.
    If we are to follow that logic, we would have to literally ban Islam because it's offensive to almost everyone in this country - gays, women, Christians, Jews, atheists, Hindus, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    yeaa cuz your basically saying gay people dont deserve the same rights as straight people which is homophobic
    errrr no

Marriage was basically forever a religious construct then permitting childbirth as a result of it, as sodomy is a sin and a gay couple cant have sex to reproduce religious marriage shouldnt be for homosexuals in the old school sense of marriage. It was only under the role of Bismarck in Germany in the late 19th century that it started to become a civil procedure which was all to do with him trying to separate the state and religion a bit more to appease all the commies and radicals, it was a political move. Therefore i think it is not a question of rights at all. It would be like saying you are discriminative if you say someone cant be a christian if they are possessed by lust, or steal a lot. Its nothing to do with rights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newsweek)
    It may be crude or simplistic, but I still don't think it's racist.

Alright. I think the misogyny, homophobia, lack of respect for free speech and general intolerance in the Muslim community ought to improve.

I don't think there's anything particularly positive. I mean, it's condemnation of such things as racism is commendable but such an attitude isn't exclusive to Islam.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/pe...im-homophobia/

I think it does make sense. Firstly, a person is born with his or her skin colour and cannot change it - this is not the same with culture. Secondly, a person's skin colour doesn't say anything about that person, so it's nonsensical to make a judgement about that person on the basis of skin colour. However, a person's cultural heritage does say a lot about a person because you're able to make predictions about that persons views.
    1. Why don't you think it's racist? Don't you think you're a tad prejudiced for thinking that all aspects of Mulsim culture are bad? Maybe there are postitive aspects, such as the fact that muslim teenagers tend not to drink and have sex so much due to religious beliefs and values.
    2. Yes, that could all be improved. Also, in muslim countries, women tend to be regarded as second-class citizens. I recently heard news that a woman from Sudan (im not sure if this relates to muslim culture or not) was going to be tortured because she wore trousers to work one day. But are we really in a position to do anything about it or get our troops involved?
    3. See point 1.
    4. Sentence in bolt again suggests that muslims should change their culture. I think you should take a look at some of the negative aspects of our culture before coming to such a crude and irrational conclusion. And if we all started to make predictions about people based on the norms and values on their culture, our society would be even more prejudiced than it already is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Why shouldn't we be allowed to offend other people?

The REAL world. :awesome:
    :eek: That question was totally crude. I think you already know the answer to that one: we all have the right to be respected. Would you like it if everybody started offending you for your comments? I dont think you'd be very happy about that, tbh.

Plus, if living in the real world means that we all have to insult each other, I would much rather live in a fantasy world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    :eek: That question was totally crude.
    No it wasn't. You're simply being naïve.

I think you already know the answer to that one: we all have the right to be respected.
    That doesn't mean we can't offend people, though.

Would you like it if everybody started offending you for your comments? I dont think you'd be very happy about that, tbh.
    How would people offend me for my comments?

Plus, if living in the real world means that we all have to insult each other, I would much rather live in a fantasy world.
    Um... right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Anything is offensive, tomorrow the word apple would be offensive to transsexuals

Even if it does offend you should be allowed to say it to be honest depending on the tone it is used in, and depending upon the situation involved.

Welcome to today and yesterday's world, where we did and do say offensive things...
    ANYTHING is offensive? That's a bit illogical.

If something that might offend someone has to be said, either because you want to be honest or because that person is getting on your nerves, all measures must be taken to ensure that it causes as little offensiveness as possible e.g. being polite.
    And just because in today's world people offend one another continuously doesn't mean that it's right or justified in any way.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by clintDISryl)
    errrr no

Marriage was basically forever a religious construct then permitting childbirth as a result of it, as sodomy is a sin and a gay couple cant have sex to reproduce religious marriage shouldnt be for homosexuals in the old school sense of marriage. It was only under the role of Bismarck in Germany in the late 19th century that it started to become a civil procedure which was all to do with him trying to separate the state and religion a bit more to appease all the commies and radicals, it was a political move. Therefore i think it is not a question of rights at all. It would be like saying you are discriminative if you say someone cant be a christian if they are possessed by lust, or steal a lot. Its nothing to do with rights
    Errrr yes...

I think you've missed the whole point of the thread. The OP asked if his comment was homophobic and a lot of people who have since posted, yourself included, seem to have taken a very lax approach to what actually constitutes homophobia.

Homophobia, like racism, is simply the belief that one type of person is more superior than another and therefore entitled to more far-reaching rights than the minority group. This is simply "prejudice." To say that gay people do not have the right to form a legally valid union is to deny them rights which have long existed for heterosexual couples. Nobody has argued that such a union should transpire in the form of a marriage - most gay men and women would not opt for this even if it was a choice.

Segregation was racism simply because white people had rights and privileges which did not extend to the black community. Denying a gay person the right to form a civil partnership is homophobic simply because you're denying them the same privileges which extend to the straight community.

So, if the OP does not accept that gay men and women should have the same rights as straight men and women, can you not accept that this is discrimination and can thereofore be logically construed as homophobia?

EDIT: I'll take your having signed out as a yes then. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    No it wasn't. You're simply being naïve.

That doesn't mean we can't offend people, though.

How would people offend me for my comments?

Um... right.
    1. I'm not being naive, and I think you're being rather crude. Your arguments follow no logic whatsoever.
    2. Yes it does mean that it's wrong to offend people, because it reduces the amount of respect that we have for one another.
    3. Easy, by insulting you because they think that you're being irrational.

ReputationRep:
    But... you said you didn't agree with it? Why would you say that if you were comfortable with gay relationships?...

Religious reasons? But then, how can you be cofortable with them but not marriage, aren't you against both?

ReputationRep:
    nothing wrong with it. i think everybody is so crazzzzzyyyyy pro-homosexuality these days, you cant say anything if you dont agree or approve! i dont mind it being legal, whatever, go ahead. i just don't wanna be forced to think its normal. And I REALLLLY dont appreciate my gay friends having this thing where they try to 'turn' straight people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazija)
    nothing wrong with it. i think everybody is so crazzzzzyyyyy pro-homosexuality these days, you cant say anything if you dont agree or approve! i dont mind it being legal, whatever, go ahead. i just don't wanna be forced to think its normal. And I REALLLLY dont appreciate my gay friends having this thing where they try to 'turn' straight people.
    :eek: my god. what on earth makes you believe your friends would do that?

just shows how prejudiced you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    is this statement I made homophobic:

"I may not agree with gay marrage but its not my place to stop someone doing it"

at which point this man comes over and starts calling me a homophobe

I didnt think this was homophobic am I wrong?
    Well you sound as though you didn't mean to cause any offence, so you weren't being deliberately homophobic and your comment that it isn't your place to stop gay marriage furthers this.

It could though be construed as homophobic - ultimately what is and isn't homophobia is down to interpretation - because in having this belief you don't agree that gay couples should be entitled to the same rights as straight couples.

But we are allowed to have our own opinions. I am gay and i personally think that the Bible is just a collection of stories based very loosely on events that happened thousands of years ago. I believe Christianity simply started as a small religious sect (just like Scientology founded in 1952) that grew and grew to the extent that people had forgotten its origins. I basically see the Bible in similar terms to the collection of fairytales published by the Grimm Brothers in the early nineteenth century, which also seemingly use miraculous and incredible stories to convey values and morals.

Now, my opinion is blasphemous but because Christianity's influence has dwindled to the extent that only seven and a half per cent of Britons regularly attend Church, most people won't bat an eyelid to my thoughts. The credibility of homosexuality is on the rise however, so your comment can be seen as more insightful. So i suppose my point is that it is fine for you to have your views but you have to accept that some people will interpret them as homophobic, just as you probably see my views on Christianity as blasphemous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    yeaa cuz your basically saying gay people dont deserve the same rights as straight people which is homophobic
    Marriage is a right, now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    :eek: my god. what on earth makes you believe your friends would do that?

just shows how prejudiced you are.
    they TELL me woman!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Separate but equal does not exist. If they are equal there would be no need for them to be separate. Personally I don't see the point of gay marriage. If your not religious then you are asking the state to ratify your love. If you are religious and your gay then your an idiot for believing in something which clearly forbids homosexuality and thinks it an abomination assuming your in one of the religions that does believes this, which is all the Judaic ones and many many more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazija)
    they TELL me woman!!!!
    right.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.