Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't find it homophobic in the slightest. If you don't agree with same-sex marriage then don't marry somebody of the same-sex (to quote Wanda Sykes ).

You acknowledged yourself that your opinion shouldn't be forced on others, so I am not sure what else that guy would expect you to do without conforming to his deluded ideology that the world isn't full of discrimination and prejudice. I disagree with your view, but we both have the right to have our own opinions. Neither of us are forcing that view on anybody else so nobody has the right to accuse us of discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't 'believe' in gay marriage then you don't believe in equality between homos and heteros.

I think it's quite a simple concept. If you truley believe homosexuality is natural and should be implemented into society with as much regard as straight partnerships then I think believing in gay marraige is intrinsic, otherwise you do believe in segregation. Surely that is mild homophobia - it is in my opinion anyway.

The notion that 'marriage' is a religious ceremony is surely only adhered to be the 8% of christians in this country and so is no longer as much as a vast belief to the country as it is a cultural thing. And of course, the church is often instinctively homophobic.

It depends entirely on what you regard as homophobic, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    I've been disciplined at uni for being homophobic. Now that's a first :afraid:
    :adore: :adore:

I have an ambition to go on one of these gay awareness days. The closest I have got is being acused of being homophobic by a rather foolish straight person. :sadnod:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JudiciousJermaine)
    I think it's quite a simple concept. If you truley believe homosexuality is natural and should be implemented into society with as much regard as straight partnerships then I think believing in gay marraige is intrinsic, otherwise you do believe in segregation. Surely that is mild homophobia - it is in my opinion anyway.
    Couldn't agree more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...lies/adore.gif http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...lies/adore.gif

I have an ambition to go on one of these gay awareness days. The closest I have got is being acused of being homophobic by a rather foolish straight person. http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...ies/sadnod.gif
    HAHA It's really difficult to do but so worth it - but I was done by one of the dreaded LGBT lot, so it became really socially-political. Hilarity ensued when they found out they'd just found a "homophobic homosexual"

We should both go heckle something gay-aware

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    is this statement I made homophobic:

"I may not agree with gay marrage but its not my place to stop someone doing it"

at which point this man comes over and starts calling me a homophobe

I didnt think this was homophobic am I wrong?
    By any chance were you beating up a gay guy at the time as well?

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a **** what some random noob said to you.
    Stick by your convictions and **** the rest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)
    I really don't care what they call the civil ceremony between couples (straight or gay) and I believe that anyone who is willing to commit (legally) to their partner ought to receive the same tax/pension/inheritance rights. What I don't agree with is trying to push the Church to accept it and allow a religious ceremony - homosexuality is wrong under every major religious doctrine and I think it's wrong to try and force them to countenance it.
    this is what I ment
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by DOA)
    this is what I ment
    I think you just need to be more careful about how you express yourself. People will disagree with me but we do live in a multicultural society and if everybody was a little more sensitive about what they said, and toned down on the whole free speech thing then I really don't think homophobia or racism would be such a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    god made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jim clancy)
    god made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve....
    Did God make Cain do his mum?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.