Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done this higher before? What is it like? I have no experience of ever doing psychology before but have to take it this year. Is it similar to any other subjects in the skills needed for doing well in it and is it very scientific or more of a humanity type subject?

ReputationRep:
    Use the search function, all the information is there.

ReputationRep:
    I did it last year as an addittional subject and I ahve to say it was pretty hard. The course contains a lot of information that you hae to remember. I would say a good level of english was required and a lot of time has to be put in. Although it was difficult it was really interesting and rarely boring. Our teacher wasn't the best which added to the difficulty, despite putting in a lot of effort and revision I'm looking towards a B/C grade. I suggest you do it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StuartMill)
    I did it last year as an addittional subject and I ahve to say it was pretty hard. The course contains a lot of information that you hae to remember. I would say a good level of english was required and a lot of time has to be put in. Although it was difficult it was really interesting and rarely boring. Our teacher wasn't the best which added to the difficulty, despite putting in a lot of effort and revision I'm looking towards a B/C grade. I suggest you do it though.
    Thanks for the advice. I am pretty good at writing essays and remembering things so it should be fine. Is there much science involved in the subject?

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you don't do it. Its not a very interesting subject. I think I've failed. Most of the people in my class ended up dropping it. Very little science is involved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    I suggest you don't do it. Its not a very interesting subject. I think I've failed. Most of the people in my class ended up dropping it. Very little science is involved
    What about the investigation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Investigation? You have to do a ******* investigation?! ****!!
    I have to take the subject as I need to do two highers for uni and that is the only one I can do from the list they gave me of possible choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    Investigation? You have to do a ******* investigation?! ****!!
    I have to take the subject as I need to do two highers for uni and that is the only one I can do from the list they gave me of possible choices.
    It's supposed to be really easy apparently, but I guess we'll find out soon lol

ReputationRep:
    That's quite easy.

ReputationRep:
    That's quite easy.
    Well that's good, what did you do for your investigation?

I really hope college has the past papers lol

ReputationRep:
    Well that's good, what did you do for your investigation?

I really hope college has the past papers lol
    Images as an aid to memory (i.e dual coding theory by paivio)

ReputationRep:
    The research investigation is time consuming but not tricky. Theres little science in the course as a whole but there is a lot of dates/names to remember. It is difficult, and theres a chance I might have failed, but its worth trying. For my research investigation I did research into images as an aid to recall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StuartMill)
    The research investigation is time consuming but not tricky. Theres little science in the course as a whole but there is a lot of dates/names to remember. It is difficult, and theres a chance I might have failed, but its worth trying. For my research investigation I did research into images as an aid to recall.
    Kewl. Do you learn about stuff like anxiety disorders, scitzophernia and stress? CBT?

ReputationRep:
    Kewl. Do you learn about stuff like anxiety disorders, scitzophernia and stress? CBT?
    Yes.. Why don't you just read the course outline? Lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes.. Why don't you just read the course outline? Lol
    Too much effort :p:

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher can choose what topics to cover, whether they choose to do them all or leave some out is up to them. We had to self teach Anxiety, the teacher taught Schizophrenia and we left out Stress.

ReputationRep:
    And now, After pulling off a miracle and getting an A () I suggest you do it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to do this next year. It's the only subject I'm doing that I've never done before, and it looks really interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I got a B. I think it was because of my coursework though. I just wrote crap in the exam. Still wouldn't recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmyVermicelli)
    I can't wait to do this next year. It's the only subject I'm doing that I've never done before, and it looks really interesting.
    Same

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.