Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I bought this yesterday which has a belt around the waist. The problem is the belt seems too long as there are only 2 belt loops, one on either side of my waist. It is so long that it could go round to the loop on the other side, but it won't stay there (will fall out if I move). It is this kind of design (but better):

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...373_1088741_-1

The long bit is so that if I put the belt through the loop on the left, it actually hangs to the bottom of the coat. Is it supposed to be like this because the only way to get it shorter would be to have it loose and I don't think anybody of that size would have a waist that big.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes have this problem with belts too... tends to happen if you have a small waist.

Why don't you try knotting the belt. It looks much better then buckling it imo.

Kinda like this but messier: http://adn.is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluef...340&height=408

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz)
    I sometimes have this problem with belts too... tends to happen if you have a small waist.

Why don't you try knotting the belt. It looks much better then buckling it imo.

Kinda like this but messier: http://adn.is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluef...340&height=408
    I tried knotting it and it didn't look right plus I'm a bit of a saddo and like wearing things neatly lol.

ReputationRep:
    ok well why don't you safety pin it to the belt loop so it doesn't fall out? Obviously will be a pain taking the jacket off and putting it on but at least it will look neat?

ReputationRep:
    You could cut the belt at one edge, make 2 new belt holes and then put eyelets on (easier than it sounds), then sew up the edge that you cut, again. Or, you could get someone to do it for you at a dressmakers where they do alterations. That's if you want it really neat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    You could cut the belt at one edge, make 2 new belt holes and then put eyelets on (easier than it sounds), then sew up the edge that you cut, again. Or, you could get someone to do it for you at a dressmakers where they do alterations. That's if you want it really neat.
    I thought altering might be the only answer. I don't think I would need to do that, just shorten the long side and make it like the "V" shape that it is. The belt is just a fabric one matching the coat.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.