Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused and the staff at Student finance are about as helpful as a chocolate teapot :confused:

Basically I know I'm not entitled to any grants - I have received my notification this morning and I have been given the minimum loan award.

Does anyone know the criteria for means testing the other portion of the loan. I.e how much your parents have to earn before you become ineligible for this means tested part

Student Finance wont tell me!!!!! and as they have already lost my parents financial info ( sent in Feb) they are reluctant to go to the trouble of obtaining duplicates if I am ineligible for the means tested bit.

Hope somebody can understand this and help me - as I don't fancy ringing student finance again!:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Student finance NI says over £39,305 = no grant.
    http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/po...chema=PORTAL#2
    I'm sure this would be univeral? If not check your student finance site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    Student finance NI says over £39,305 = no grant.
    http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/po...chema=PORTAL#2
    I'm sure this would be univeral? If not check your student finance site.
    Thanks for your quick reply- I think I may not have explained myself properly - Re the maintenance loan-( not grant) the final 28% is means tested, I would like to know how this is calculated, i.e how much do you have to earn before you are ineligible for this part??

ReputationRep:
    I see, I thought the only means tested part was if you wanted the grant. You could try playing about with this

ReputationRep:
    if your parents earn over £50,020 you get no grant

ReputationRep:
    I see, I thought the only means tested part was if you wanted the grant. You could try playing about with this
    Thanks again for your help. On the maintenance loan 72% of the loan is non means tested and 28% is means tested. Why oh why they have to means test a loan is beyond me but hey ho.

I have used the calculator and I am a little clearer.

Many Thanks for your help. Why don't they just publish the figures ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bringmesunshine)
    if your parents earn over £50,020 you get no grant
    Yes, I know. I am just trying to find out about the thresholds for the means tested part of the maintenance loan.

Thanks for trying to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edessa)
    Thanks again for your help. On the maintenance loan 72% of the loan is non means tested and 28% is means tested. Why oh why they have to means test a loan is beyond me but hey ho.

I have used the calculator and I am a little clearer.

Many Thanks for your help. Why don't they just publish the figures ???
    Probably don't want to overconfuse their perfect system...

ReputationRep:
    Probably don't want to overconfuse their perfect system...

Student Finance- Perfect System - Oxymoron :yes: :yes: :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I know. I am just trying to find out about the thresholds for the means tested part of the maintenance loan.

Thanks for trying to help
    are you going to be studying outside of london and living away from home? if yes, i know where there is a table which gives all the thresholds

ReputationRep:
    are you going to be studying outside of london and living away from home? if yes, i know where there is a table which gives all the thresholds
    That would help me. Currently I can only find published info on the thresholds for grants.

Many Thanks, I need all the help I can get cos it's a flippin minefield:eek3:

P.S - Yes I will be studying outside of London and will be living in Halls

ReputationRep:
    That would help me. Currently I can only find published info on the thresholds for grants.

Many Thanks, I need all the help I can get cos it's a flippin minefield

P.S - Yes I will be studying outside of London and will be living in Halls
    http://http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/ser...-10/faq2009-10

go down to question 8 and there is a table that gives the thresholds and how much grant and loan you would be entitled to

ReputationRep:
    http://http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/ser...-10/faq2009-10

go down to question 8 and there is a table that gives the thresholds and how much grant and loan you would be entitled to
    BINGO:woo: :woo: :woo: - You have succeeded where Student Finance failed. I couldn't get the link to work but looked on the website and found where you meant. Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

Still think it's most unfair that they means test part of a loan tho:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    BINGO - You have succeeded where Student Finance failed. I couldn't get the link to work but looked on the website and found where you meant. Thank you so much I really appreciate it.

Still think it's most unfair that they means test part of a loan tho
    i know, i will be in the same position next year. my parents can't afford to make up the other 28% of the loan like they are expected to, they can't afford to give me anything. it's a ridiculous system but lets not turn this thread into a debate about EMA and student finance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.