Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it really a sin to listen to mainstream music? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No. The majority of the music on my ipod is indie pop, bands like Camera Obscura, things like Animal Collective, as well as hip hop, The Wave Pictures, folk and rock, some jazz...

People always scroll through the artists and pick out something like Brandy or Britney Spears or Rihanna and laugh a little and I tell them to shut up.

If you like mainstream music, then that's good. Don't change what you listen to because someone decides that it's not cool or credible enough. I'd rather listen to Girls Aloud and The Saturdays on repeat than Neutral Milk Hotel and Of Montreal or John Cage and John Zorn or whatever just because I thought cooler people would like me more because of it.

Just because it's mainstream shouldn't stop you from liking it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The Qu'ran explicitly forbids it - unless you string up the music and let all the paper fall out of the CD box before you listen to it. I believe that makes it "clean"

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I don't think so. I like a lot of mainstream music and a lot of weird ****.

I'm not a fan of people who explicity WON'T listen to things because they're not popular or 'in' (they really do exist). This applies to people across the spectrum though, closemindedness is just as unattractive if you're a metalhead/indie fan/ emo kid whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I like a lot of mainstream music too, some of it is ********... but it's different strokes for different folks

there's actually people out there who genuinely enjoy listening to death metal for whatever reason... it's all opinions, I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King CalZ)
    I wouldnt say what you listen to is mainstream except for maybe coldplay and james morrison.

I like most of the mainstream stuff but yeh people go out of their way to ridicule and say you have no taste because you aint into bands that no one had heard of.

I like music from The Game to Jimmy Eat World to Master Shortie to Michael Buble to N-Dubz.
    For just mentioning his name I salute you :yes:
    Michael Buble = :love:

Oh, and just listen to whatever music you like, there will always be people who disagree, that's their problem: they're just restricting what music they listen to because heaven forbid it become popular :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el scorcho)
    there's actually people out there who genuinely enjoy listening to death metal for whatever reason... it's all opinions, I guess
    That makes it sound like some hideous abnormality or fetish lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    I listen to the likes of Thirteen Sense, David Gray, Gavin Degraw, Green Day, U2, Coldplay, James Morrison etc and every time I post a thread asking for some more recommendations on good music I always get the odd few who go out of their way to passionately accuse me of liking the 'wrong' type of music. Some seem to even accuse me of not liking 'music' at all, but 'products' because of my choice of genre. :rolleyes:

Am I in the wrong here? Why do some people find it so hard to accept that their music taste may be different to others'? Do I essentially have sheep mentality for liking music which is popular?
    I like all that type of music (along with many other genres)! I see nothing wrong with liking mainstream stuff, the reason they're mainstream is because they're good...

ReputationRep:
    Music is a way for people to express themselves - so it is something unique to you; whatever you listen to isn't right or wrong, it's just something you like. Now nearly everyone agrees with this. Then there are some people who respect your music taste - but do not respect the artist themselves. This is where I think you may take some comments too personally. Whilst I agree everyone has the right to listen to whatever music, and that there is no right or wrong in music; it is who makes it that usually annoys some people. For example, there are people in the music industry who do it just for the money - which is wrong, as I'm sure you'd hopefully agree; because music is a way to express yourself, whilst all these artists are doing are expressing a clichéd bunch of stanzas written by someone else to hopefully make some money.

Now in general, the majority of these 'money loving artists' are in mainstream music, which is what may lead some people to stereotype mainstream music itself as not being music, but more a 4 minute business making noise, which of course is certainly not true.

This is probably the answer as to why a lot of people hate mainstream music - the majority of 'money lovers' are in that category, and, as always in this society, stereotypes are made. All the artists you've listed seem normal ones wanting to share their music with people though, so I wouldn't get worried with what other people think. They can always express their opinion on your music, but they can never tell you what you like is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, don't listen to them. I listen to almost no mainstream music, but I'd never criticise someone for liking it.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. The only people that have a phobia entirely on virtue of its being mainstream are self-conscious, juvenile and close-minded people. Shrug off their idiocy and continue listening to the music that you like.

(Original post by ily_em)
    I like all that type of music (along with many other genres)! I see nothing wrong with liking mainstream stuff, the reason they're mainstream is because they're good...
    No. The reason it is mainstream is because lots of people like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    People just like to think they're better than you because they like bands nobody has heard of rather than ones who did something and got somewhere. It makes them feel special somehow. Personally I think if you like a band, you like a band. Makes no difference how many other people also like them, as long as you're happy and enjoy the music.
    Tool. (you are one. they are a relatively unknown band and are a response to your ridiculous statement)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sincerity?)
    Tool. (you are one. they are a relatively unknown band and are a response to your ridiculous statement)
    After having several people tell me "Oh my god, you have music that's played on the RADIO on your iPod- WTF is wrong with you, loser???!!" I'm inclined to disagree. What motive can people have to insult someone because they listen to popular music? But, the horor of it all, as well as all these big famous bands, I also have music by "relatively unknown bands" like Tool on there too. I'm not going to parade around calling every Tom, **** and Harry a noob because they don't listen to them and I do. Clearly a lot of people are the same. But there are also a lot of idiots out there who have it in their heads that their choice in music is the "right one" and anyone else is "wrong"

ReputationRep:
    Nah, just listen to what you enjoy. It would be sheep like to listen to things you don't necessarily enjoy as much to look cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    I listen to the likes of Thirteen Sense, David Gray, Gavin Degraw, Green Day, U2, Coldplay, James Morrison etc and every time I post a thread asking for some more recommendations on good music I always get the odd few who go out of their way to passionately accuse me of liking the 'wrong' type of music. Some seem to even accuse me of not liking 'music' at all, but 'products' because of my choice of genre. :rolleyes:

Am I in the wrong here? Why do some people find it so hard to accept that their music taste may be different to others'? Do I essentially have sheep mentality for liking music which is popular?
    Well, that depends: do you like it because it's popular?

(Original post by thethinker)
    Everytime you listen to The Ting Tings, Jesus kills a kitten.
    This.

I find it funny how they were forced to change some of the songs on the album in China as the government were concerned that the songs contained anti-government propoganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Well, that depends: do you like it because it's popular?
    Well not at all, the music that I take a liking to just happens to be popular.

ReputationRep:
    God forbids U2, unfortunately you will probably go to hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King CalZ)
    I wouldnt say what you listen to is mainstream except for maybe coldplay and james morrison.

I like most of the mainstream stuff but yeh people go out of their way to ridicule and say you have no taste because you aint into bands that no one had heard of.

I like music from The Game to Jimmy Eat World to Master Shortie to Michael Buble to N-Dubz.
    hahaha i like ALL of those people aswell

Dead End = Musical Orgasm

back on point, its not bad to listen to mainstream music at all.. but you will find some musical elitists who thinkg listening to 'popular' bands or singers is uncool.. and feel somewhat better then you that they listen to some up and coming or underground band who wear skinny jeans and have odd names like 'Rep jumpsuit apparatus' or whatever.

my ipod consists of britney, n dubz, ODB, robin thicke, chipmunk, and bloody n sync.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    After having several people tell me "Oh my god, you have music that's played on the RADIO on your iPod- WTF is wrong with you, loser???!!" I'm inclined to disagree. What motive can people have to insult someone because they listen to popular music? But, the horor of it all, as well as all these big famous bands, I also have music by "relatively unknown bands" like Tool on there too. I'm not going to parade around calling every Tom, **** and Harry a noob because they don't listen to them and I do. Clearly a lot of people are the same. But there are also a lot of idiots out there who have it in their heads that their choice in music is the "right one" and anyone else is "wrong"
    Excuse me for being rude earlier. I don't really care what you listen to. Listen to what you want to. I just found this pretty ridiculous: "People just like to think they're better than you because they like bands nobody has heard of rather than ones who did something and got somewhere. It makes them feel special somehow." 'Lots of people just like to think...' would have been better now, don't you think?

Motive? Various motives, really, which I think, may differ from individual to individual. For starters, not everyone of 'them' (let's just use this word to identify the persons you seem to dislike by that) may be insulting but as has been said already, may be insulting the artist who is in the 'mainstream'.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't dislike a band purely because they are "mainstream", people who say otherwise are idiots.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.