Britain was particularly evil and particularly destructive
    15.28%
    Britain wasn't as bad as the others
    32.64%
    Other / Don't care
    12.50%

ReputationRep:

What do you think of that?

The "Britain, America is tired of cleaning up your mess!" got me a bit riled up to say the least.

So anyway, do you think this guy is just trying to sell his book or do you think he has a point? Given that imperialism was taking place throughout the whole of Europe at that time, I don't really think Britain was particularly evil, although all colonial imperialism was pretty damn unpleasant.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of this guy before, basically he's a complete nutjob. Most of his arguments are made up and the stuff that is true can easily be compared to the things done by other imperialist powers + the USA.

ReputationRep:
    They're just jealous! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Thats daft.

Worshiping the Queen, wtf?

Could make a neat little cartoon on the genocide of native americans and the mass destruction of Vietnam, but that would be degrading. git

ReputationRep:
    This guy is a notorious idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    They're just jealous! :awesome:

This

ReputationRep:
    I read through his website a while ago and corrected him on about 20-odd points. It's awful.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: How rich coming from an American.
    - "We've got war" - yes, and how many of those wars can be attributed to America...
    - "We've got troubles with the environment" *ahem* Mr American, your country is responsible for 25% of the world's carbon emissions...
    - "Britain, America is tired of cleaning up your mess" - Well stop then, because you're pretty **** at it...

Besides it's Britain not England, you ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfm89)
    Thats daft.

Worshiping the Queen, wtf?

Could make a neat little cartoon on the genocide of native americans and the mass destruction of Vietnam, but that would be degrading. git
    Seriously some people in America are so ******* ignorant...

They think we love the queen and worship her...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    He's right in a sense, I don't think anyone should try to defend the British Empire (though many do) but his constant mistakes in speaking of Britain and England as being the same thing are enough alone to discredit his work. It has no historical merit but I imagine it is intended as a joke and is probably quite funny, though perhaps not to Brits.

ReputationRep:
    Opium wars .............. >.<
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Wars

ReputationRep:
    He's a nut job. Especially the "all men are equal" bit considering it was like that pretty much all over the world at the time (native Americans anyone?) and that the USA still has major race issues compared to the UK and most of Europe.

The UK empire was actually quite innotive, before it was a case of walk in slaughter people the take the land, where as the UK used commerce to rule. Of course there was still alot of violence and war but nothing compared to the empires before hand. Not saying it was 100% right to do but it had benifits as well as downfalls.

ReputationRep:
    Britian was a shining force of good that tamed the savages, gave them tea and railways. Then we got all lame and gave it back and look at them all fighting and wrecking the place. Now the railways are just covered in grass.

ReputationRep:
    What a moron, he says " we had no legal right over these lands". How ironic America had no right to invade cambodia but they claimed they needed to. A petty excuse for a writer, its so ironic that thier own country is a laughing stock. Talk about the illusion of Grandeur.

This guy also said we were responisble for Iraq and Vietnam, what a way to put a spin on things.

ReputationRep:
    I voted for less evil due to the wars Britain conducted against slavery and to free slaves.

Less evil doesn't mean good though. Imperial Britain has a lot to answer for in exporting Indian foodstuffs during famines and concentration camps in the Boer wars for example. I can't stand American **** like this. Hiroshima anyone? Not enough? Nagaski then? Maybe central/south America should get a look into? Or maybe genocide against native Americans. These Mel-Gibsonites leave a really nasty taste in your mouth.

ReputationRep:
    Well without Britain there would be no America, so...

ReputationRep:
    Your poll seems to imply that only Europeans (ie White people) have the ability and the mind set to be imperialistic, while the reality is the Japanese have been argueably the most violent and distructuve imperialists. Certain parts of Africa were also subject to harsh imperialism from other African nations. However, people still seem to view imperialism as solely a white thing, it's rediculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onion Terror)

What do you think of that?

The "Britain, America is tired of cleaning up your mess!" got me a bit riled up to say the least.

So anyway, do you think this guy is just trying to sell his book or do you think he has a point? Given that imperialism was taking place throughout the whole of Europe at that time, I don't really think Britain was particularly evil, although all colonial imperialism was pretty damn unpleasant.

What do you think?
    Colonialism was fair game in light of the civilisation that colonial powers brought. Perhaps we should go back to Africa and clean that ******** up properly.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. How dare someone in that colony questions their masters? :p: But no, an utter idiot. Not only does he impose today's morals on the past - one of the worst crimes an historian could commit - but also ignores the fact that Britain was going through a period of unprecedented industrial growth. This wasn't 'evil' when juxtaposed with any other ambitious vanguard of economic development; and it wasn't a racial issue, nor was it, in general terms, intentional oppression. Such 'oppression' was merely a synthesis of what occurs when those in a superior position conflict with those in an inferior position. In a primary school breaktime, the strongest and fastest child will usually get to the tuck before others. If this equates to 'repression' and 'draining resources' then so be it.

Edit: Oh, and tell that eejit that we have a constitutional monarchy.

Edit 2: And also ask why the hell the US didn't even join the European war until Hitler declared war on them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've seen it. I just sighed at the hypocrisy to be honest, and got over it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.