39.58%
    Britain was particularly evil and particularly destructive
    15.28%
    Britain wasn't as bad as the others
    32.64%
    Other / Don't care
    12.50%

ReputationRep:
    For a more accurate, yet comedic, briefing on American history - why not look at this, before having this idea that America has the right to ***** about our past

Another shocking fact is that the evil stuck up Americna history is still going on right this minute. Whereas we've moved on from our evil ways centuries ago, America feels they need to make up for lost time, and be evil in the 21st century.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    France, Spain and the Dutch also colonised North America, so there would be. They wouldn't be speaking English that's all.
    That's debatable, even so - it certainly wouldn't be like today's America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    101 Ways that England Ruined the World:

1. Founding Jamestown and the other American colonies?
    Good point :yes:

and what about the treatment of the indegenous Native Americans who were subject to persecution, death and discrimination as a result of this great new nation's pursuit of liberty for all men? A discrimination that still goes on. What about (poor point to make) the fact that we abolished slavery before they did? Take a look at yourselves America :p:

More to the point: okay we may have done some pretty terrible things in our pursuit of empire, but I would never attempt to apologise for the empire itself. If anything, it would be pretty good for us all if it came back! And whatsmore I'm jollywell proud to live in a country still blessed with a monarchy and all the tradition, history and meaning that entails. Rule Britannia! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben F)
    For a more accurate, yet comedic, briefing on American history - why not look at this, before having this idea that America has the right to ***** about our past

Another shocking fact is that the evil stuck up Americna history is still going on right this minute. Whereas we've moved on from our evil ways centuries ago, America feels they need to make up for lost time, and be evil in the 21st century.
    That video is priceless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    Britian was a shining force of good that tamed the savages, gave them tea and railways. Then we got all lame and gave it back and look at them all fighting and wrecking the place. Now the railways are just covered in grass.
    The railways :sad: and don't even get me started on what they did to the tea :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    That's debatable, even so - it certainly wouldn't be like today's America.
    You don't know, it could've been bigger than today's America.

ReputationRep:
    The minute he uses England and Britain when talking about the same country makes you know how ignorant this man is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathon)
    He's right in a sense, I don't think anyone should try to defend the British Empire (though many do) but his constant mistakes in speaking of Britain and England as being the same thing are enough alone to discredit his work. It has no historical merit but I imagine it is intended as a joke and is probably quite funny, though perhaps not to Brits.
    Exactly this. The British empire did commit many great evils, which cannot be defended, but they were in the light of the times of European colonialism and the British do deserve much credit too in the way of morality, such as being the first to ban (and strictly enforce) the slave trade.

Britian was a shining force of good that tamed the savages, gave them tea and railways. Then we got all lame and gave it back and look at them all fighting and wrecking the place. Now the railways are just covered in grass.
    I certainly hope you are joking there! (I'm not good at telling when people are being satirical online!) but academically that argument doesn't hold at all.

(Original post by La Esmerelda)
    Britain was a darling compared to other imperialist powers-Canada, NZ and India I believe were willingly given their independence without the need to resort to long and bloody wars
    That is definitely not true, certainly not in the eyes of the lists of respected historians who have covered this period who I have heard of. Millions died in India in the long and bloody fight for independence; the reason it is sometimes today seen as 'peaceful' is due to Gandhi's leadership in which the Indians did not form a militia against the British. This does not mean that millions were not massacred (which is arguably worse as they were unarmed civilians), the Jallianwala Bagh massacre being a poignant example.

Note, I don't hold any deep-seeded resentment towards the British! I just comment for the sake of historical accuracy.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore that silly video and that ridiculous book. As others have said, the author is a notorious for being an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    England by itself never had a particularly big empire.
    No but when Spain foolishly picked on England during the Armada, it sealed Spain's fate for losing their world dominance making way for a new imperial power.

ReputationRep:
    I like how if one American bashes England, the thread turns into a everyone hate America in its entirety fest.

Some of you are just as bad as he is.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a poll on www.thestudentroom.co.uk will fetch unbiased answers to this question.

ReputationRep:
    Britain was just like any other European imperialist power
    This.
    Other empires and countries weren't much different.
    Plus people who still hold such grudges against England and Britain really need to get a life and bring themselves up to date.\

They also need to wake up and realise you can't blame current affairs around the world on the past and present doings of one country.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    I certainly hope you are joking there! (I'm not good at telling when people are being satirical online!) but academically that argument doesn't hold at all.
    I don't know. All of the places i've been to have said that living was better under british rule! certainly in sri lanka, borneo and british honduras (though we logged the hell out of that place)

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. All of the places i've been to have said that living was better under british rule! certainly in sri lanka, borneo and british honduras (though we logged the hell out of that place)
    Unfortunately, the end doesn't justify the means.

ReputationRep:
    why not?
    sometimes to get something done you need to get your hands dirty.

ReputationRep:
    why not?
    sometimes to get something done you need to get your hands dirty.
    Like strapping thousands of Indian rebels to cannons and blowing them to pieces?

Totally.

By "get something done" you mean make profits off of exploiting other cultures though, right?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about india so I can't comment, but yes exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Like strapping thousands of Indian rebels to cannons and blowing them to pieces?

Totally.

By "get something done" you mean make profits off of exploiting other cultures though, right?
    Go home. kthnxbai.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.