Britain was particularly evil and particularly destructive
    15.28%
    Britain wasn't as bad as the others
    32.64%
    Other / Don't care
    12.50%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    I don't know anything about india so I can't comment, but yes exactly.
    That's sickening.

(Original post by Fawn)
    Go home. kthnxbai.
    ITT: Fawn ignores history.

(Original post by ajp100688)
    If you want to comment upon that, you should first read about what the mutineers did to British families living in North West India. Slaughters of women and children abound in almost every city where they rebelled, people literally hacked to pieces, mass executions. That sort of thing.

They got what they deserved.
    And what about when the British army looted and massacred civilians in Delhi after the siege? Were those unarmed citizens getting what they deserved too?

ReputationRep:
    The British Empire was very,very,very evil. The Empire exists in somekind of a limbo in modern British society. No one will call for the recreation of the empire yet people "think" it's good.

One of the most horrendous wars the Empires was responsible for was the Boer wars. Just look it up. The FIRST use of concentration camps. Thousands of Afrikanners (white South Africans) and Black Africans died in those camps.

When ever I hear people talk about WW1 and WW2 has a struggle between good and evil. I always like to point out that Britian and France controlled more then 25% of all people in the world. The truly evil ones were they. The Germans at their height barely controlled that many people. Most of the land they had in their empire was full of Germans who wanted to be part of Germany.

ReputationRep:
    This guy's a reactionary author. His publishers & he himself know that this book is utter s**t full of inaccuracies, so no-ones gonna buy it. Instead, he stirs up emotions in people which gets people talking about his book & gets it noticed. All of this = sales = $. You think the author cares if his book lacks any reliable historical facts when he's counting his stacks of bills?

He's no different from a similar author who runs a website called "menarebetterthanwomen.com". He also has a book of a similar title. People buy these things to see what all of the fuss is about & you guys are playing right into their hands..tsk

Another reason why we're so evil: the Industrial Revolution happened because we actually wanted to control the universe :laugh:

I found an interview of the author on the Richard and Judy show that was aired two years ago:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lachlan)
    When I first saw that video over a year ago I was so angry, the vein in my temple almost burst. Especially all the jumped up ignorant ******* Yanks who believed the tripe he was spouting. Frankly I couldn't really care what Britain was like (and it wasn't anything like he was claiming). In any case:

Were more powerful, we were better than you, we raped you for all you were worth, get over it.

And FYI we would happily do it again were we given the chance.

Edit: Rule Britannia! :p:
    vote BNP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazija)
    id love for england to be a huge empire again.
    vote BNP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by road)
    vote BNP
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    :rofl:
    why laugh?BNP is the only party that will end the American control in Britain

ReputationRep:
    as soos as BNP wins American soldiers will be kicked out of our nation.We can make an alliance but not the serving puppet state that we are today because of Liblabcons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by road)
    as soos as BNP wins American soldiers will be kicked out of our nation.We can make an alliance but not the serving puppet state that we are today because of Liblabcons
    Oh bummer.

Never mind, I kinda like lording over your country.

ReputationRep:
    Oh bummer.

Never mind, I kinda like lording over your country.
    your empire is declining.If Britons will wake up at the next elections it will finally collapse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by road)
    your empire is declining.If Britons will wake up at the next elections it will finally collapse
    Even if we did have an empire (which we don't), the BNP is not going to overthrow us. lol.

ReputationRep:
    Even if we did have an empire (which we don't), the BNP is not going to overthrow us. lol.
    if Britain closes your bases other European countries will follow.With the BNP we also won't be your puppets in new wars like Iraq

ReputationRep:
    aye cos england dropped two nukes on japan and killed thousands of civilians

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Exactly this. The British empire did commit many great evils, which cannot be defended, but they were in the light of the times of European colonialism and the British do deserve much credit too in the way of morality, such as being the first to ban (and strictly enforce) the slave trade.

I certainly hope you are joking there! (I'm not good at telling when people are being satirical online!) but academically that argument doesn't hold at all.

That is definitely not true, certainly not in the eyes of the lists of respected historians who have covered this period who I have heard of. Millions died in India in the long and bloody fight for independence; the reason it is sometimes today seen as 'peaceful' is due to Gandhi's leadership in which the Indians did not form a militia against the British. This does not mean that millions were not massacred (which is arguably worse as they were unarmed civilians), the Jallianwala Bagh massacre being a poignant example.

Note, I don't hold any deep-seeded resentment towards the British! I just comment for the sake of historical accuracy.
    what about the indian empire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by road)
    if Britain closes your bases other European countries will follow.With the BNP we also won't be your puppets in new wars like Iraq
    And how the heck can you actually say such a thing? Based on what exactly; unsubstantiated prejudices and blind faith in a racist party? :rolleyes:

(Original post by road)
    what about the indian empire?
    Which empire are you referring to, and what exactly about it?

Serious question (my racist) friend.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can accuse BNP of racism.India is one of the most racist countries in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathon)
    He's right in a sense, I don't think anyone should try to defend the British Empire (though many do)
    Despite the rest you said, it's pretty easy to defend the British Empire. Apart from the fact that a quater of the world simply wouldn't have any medical provision whatsoever, legal rights or education, or democracy even (which actually every single Commonwealth country has embraced or woudl like to embrace), also it's one of the meain reasons why poverty is so low in this country. The British Empire was a marvelous thing, and we should be broud of it!

The only truly evil empire was actually the Belgian empire, strangely enough. Leopold II made the Congo his own personal kindogm in the mid-1800s, the the entire populace his personal slaves. I think the average lifespan was in only the 20s. It wasn't until all the other European nations presurred him into giving up personal control and giving it to to the Belgian government to manage did things improve.

ReputationRep:
    International Coalition for British Reparations?

Please some one tell me that is a joke.

Do they think we live in some sort of English wonderland or something? What is the cause of this enormous jealousy? Are they just looking for someone to blame? Or are they just looking to make money out of a book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onion Terror)

:lolwut:
    Oh. Mygod. Reparations?!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.