Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm going to my best friends party this weekend, and he lives in another town. I'm catching the train there and meeting him later. Originally he just wanted alcohol for himself which was fine because I was gonna by some for myself anyway (He's turning 17 btw).

But now he asked me on MSN that if when I come down I can buy alcohol for his whole party. Now this I feel so much more uncomfortable about. He says he has a "List" of stuff to get. Easier said than done, last time I went into a supermarket and bought 3 crates they asked me who the alcohol was for, but a whole ******* list! I'm screwed.

So I'm wondering how I should go about this? Should I tell him no I can't buy alcohol for your party. Or should I make several trips to different supermarkets around the town? One of his friends can drive, so he said he can wait in the carpark, and I can unload it into his car.

I still feel so awkward about doing this.

I've never really bought anything for people underage, and I'm worried about getting caught and getting a criminal record (especially as I want to be a teacher).

Please what should I do? Sometimes being 18 is a curse rather than a blessing...

ReputationRep:
    I'd just buy it. Why do you need to go to several different supermarkets? If they ask you why you're buying so much booze just say you're having a party.

ReputationRep:
    Just say "I'm having a party".....? They can't ID every single person who turns up at your friends house, and they've got no way of proving it's not for a group of 40 year olds :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    I'd just buy it. Why do you need to go to several different supermarkets? If they ask you why you're buying so much booze just say you're having a party.
    Yeah. Or just use a self-service checkout, from my experience the supervisor in charge is too busy to ask nosy questions and will just check your ID and be on their way.

ReputationRep:
    dont buy it if you dont want to. i cant stand it when under age people just expect me to go and buy them alcohol. i had to struggle to get hold of it underage, they can too. their time will come.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get it and be tempted to go to a couple of different places just to be on the safe side. I doubt you'd get caught, surely the worst they could actually do would be to turn you away?

Or like the above poster say you are having a party, but if they suspect there might be underage people going then they might not let you buy it. Especially as I saw a story the other day about a man who wasnt allowed to buy a bottle of red wine as the supermarket thought it was for his 15 year old daughter. Steer clear of asda.

ReputationRep:
    Order it for home delivery, as long as whoever signs for the order is over 18 they never ask

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see how EVERYONE at that party will be unable to get their own drink. I'm 16 and am often at parties with a large number of 16/17 year olds, sometimes 15 year olds, all manage to get their own drink! Mostly through older friends (and not just the friend of whoevers party it is) or older siblings/parents if they're cool about it. A few of us have ID (either fake or siblings/friends) and can buy our own. So I'm guessing it will be the same for a number of people at this party. Unless your friend is planning to supply drink or everyone? Anyway, have you seen the list? Is there a LOT on it? You should be fine just going to one supermarket anyway, if questioned just say you're having a party. I've bought quite a lot of drink before and usually the cashier is just like "ahh someone's having a party" or "planning a crazy weekend this weekend then?" or something similar. As you're actually LEGAL to be buying drink, I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't go in with the younger friend who can drive, leave him/her in the car park. They'll ID both of yous if you go to the checkout together in most places.

ReputationRep:
    He's turning 17, from what I know people start experimenting with alcohol from the age of 14 so no need to feel guilty about doing it since people should know their limits.

It's only illegal to buy alcohol under the age of 18, BUT you can still drink it if your 17, with an adult and if the drink is consumed with a meal.
    LOOP HOLE!

ReputationRep:
    If you are the correct age it doesn't matter. I would recommend getting your friend to give out a hand carrying it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    If they ask you, just tell them you're feeling a little thirsty :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll just go ahead and do what you said. I'm sure it'll be fine.
    Can't help but feel like McLovin from Superbad though. Lol!

ReputationRep:
    Why would they ask you?

ReputationRep:
    Just buy it? You gotta take these risks in life.

Your not going to get a criminal record for buying alcohol. There is no proof your buying it for underage drinkers and your legally entitled to buy it.
    If you get rejected just go somewhere else or buy it in smaller consequences!

Have fun and be safe =P

ReputationRep:
    Staff: Why are you buying all of this alcohol?
    You: I'm an alcoholic .. *blank stare* ..
    *Silence*
    Staff: Do you have a nectar card?

Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    Especially as I saw a story the other day about a man who wasnt allowed to buy a bottle of red wine as the supermarket thought it was for his 15 year old daughter. Steer clear of asda.
    Strange, considering it is perfectly legal to give alcohol to children over 5 years old.

ReputationRep:
    Simple. Just say you're having a party. Oh yeah and make sure you don't take underage mates to buy it with you, or they can refuse to serve you. I've worked in a Supermarket and had to refuse an over 18 alcohol because I suspected that he was buying it for his mate lol.

I love being 18! I make a point of being ID'd now ...But yeah it is annoying when younger mates take advantage of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EagleHawk)
    [...]I've never really bought anything for people underage, and I'm worried about getting caught and getting a criminal record (especially as I want to be a teacher).

Please what should I do? Sometimes being 18 is a curse rather than a blessing...
    Do you know everybody at this party? If so, you should be able judge the situation and based on that you can decide. If you don't know everybody, then you should not buy alcohol because there could be a sixteen(senventeen)-year-old boy/gril drinking too much at your friend's party and getting health problems. I guess, you know what I mean.

One word regarding buying alcohol at a supermarket. There are no problems buying lots of alcohol. You can buy what you like! If you use it at a party or not isn't the supermarket's business.

ReputationRep:
    surely some of them should be able to get there own.. just buy it all and if they ask what its for say a party or a bbq or somethin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morlock)
    Strange, considering it is perfectly legal to give alcohol to children over 5 years old.
    Yes, apparently they were erring on the side of caution?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/8169564.stm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.