Buying alcohol... Watch

GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I saw a rather scummy family trying to buy alcohol for their kids at the self-service. Naturally one of the staff came over and was like "Err, no. We saw you let your kids pick what they wanted in the alcohol isle."

Of course the woman started throwing a tantrum saying how ridiculous it was, and how she was going to tell "Terry" not to shop at Tescos because " ur not allowed 2 buy alcohol r ya lolZZ". Continuing her rage, she proclaimed "Oh! So am I not allowed to by lemonade either?" to which the staff member replied "No. There arn't any licensing laws on Lemonade" with a deadly straight face.

Hillarious.
Morlock
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
I saw a rather scummy family trying to buy alcohol for their kids at the self-service. Naturally one of the staff came over and was like "Err, no. We saw you let your kids pick what they wanted in the alcohol isle."
If my children insisted on drinking alcohol, I would much rather they drank it under my supervision. A word with God on the porcelain telephone may put them off for good.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Morlock)
If my children insisted on drinking alcohol, I would much rather they drank it under my supervision. A word with God on the porcelain telephone may put them off for good.
If my children insisted on drinking alcohol at that age, I would give them a swift beating with a doubled up garden hose.
Morlock
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Iron Mask Duval)
It's only illegal to buy alcohol under the age of 18, BUT you can still drink it if your 17, with an adult and if the drink is consumed with a meal.
LOOP HOLE!
Those restricions are on a licensed premises. If you are over 5, you can legally drink alcohol supplied by an adult.
Morlock
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
If my children insisted on drinking alcohol at that age, I would give them a swift beating with a doubled up garden hose.
I think it is far better to educate them about the dangers of alcohol and deter them. But curiosity will almost inevitably lead them to drink at some point, no matter how much you beat them. They will just drink with their peers, unsupervised and without your knowledge.
MazMaz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what's one "the list" exactly?
it'd look better if it was things like crates of beer, cider, wine and vodka, if the list is things like "one bottle of smirnoff ice, one blue wkd, one red wkd" then it'd be a lot of hassle for you.
make sure the list is things you can bulk buy - this'll also make it look like it's for a party you're hosting!
Rimipie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
try little newsagents around where you live? theres a newsagent down my road and he doesn't ask questions, and he knows my friends and i are underage, he's my favourite person :heart:
impervious
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Those restricions are on a licensed premises. If you are over 5, you can legally drink alcohol supplied by an adult.
Doesn it not technically have to be by your parent/guardian?
Morlock
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by impervious)
Doesn it not technically have to be by your parent/guardian?
No, as long as they are on private premises and supervised by an adult, not necessarily the parent or legal guardian, it could be an older sibling, babysitter, aunty etc.
cobweb1989
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fortunecookie)
Especially as I saw a story the other day about a man who wasnt allowed to buy a bottle of red wine as the supermarket thought it was for his 15 year old daughter. Steer clear of asda.
This happened to me with my dad in sainsburys. He was buying beer and i was with him. The lady behind the till asked me if I had ID (im 19 btw). I laughed in her face (no jokes) and asked why. She said i could be underrage and it would be illigal for my dad to give me the beer. I showed her my ID and she shut up. My sister who is 13 was also there too. I asked the lady why my sis wasnt getting ID'd, seeing as she could be given the alcohol as well... eventually the manager came and apologised too us but someone should sort out these rules because it makes innocent shoppers feel like criminals if the want to buy a alcohol whilst in the company of thier children.

GGRRRRRR!
impervious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, as long as they are on private premises and supervised by an adult, not necessarily the parent or legal guardian, it could be an older sibling, babysitter, aunty etc.
Ah private property. I was going to say you can get into bother for buying alcohol for the 16-17 year olds who tend to wait outside the offy.
dftt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are you serious, stop worrying about such trivial matters, people always buy tons of alcohol at supermarkets, people always buy alcohol for their underage friends, just do it.
wintersunset
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
do you even have to tell them what it's for?
Awesome-o
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Those behind the checkout counters deserve to die horrifically.
NathanM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Awesome-o)
Explain...?
AntiMonarchist
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sounds too much like Superbad to me.
Gap
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't buy it for them, there's enough underage drunkards spilling into the street and throwing up from a binge nightly as it is.
smellslikemarmite
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think you realise how much **** checkout operators can get into if they sell underagers, or if they sell to people who will supply to underagers and they know about it.

When I worked at Asda they put the fear of God into you. It's classed as gross misconduct, you could have been fired on the spot, as well as prosecuted and fined. So try getting a job after you have that particular conviction on your record. Oh yeah, and not only did Asda test shop you, but the police and trading standards too. And they ACTIVELY try and trick you into selling underagers.

So I suggest you put YOURSELF into that situation, and then perhaps retract your sweeping ignorant statement.
Awesome-o
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by smellslikemarmite)
I don't think you realise how much **** checkout operators can get into if they sell underagers, or if they sell to people who will supply to underagers and they know about it.

When I worked at Asda they put the fear of God into you. It's classed as gross misconduct, you could have been fired on the spot, as well as prosecuted and fined. So try getting a job after you have that particular conviction on your record. Oh yeah, and not only did Asda test shop you, but the police and trading standards too. And they ACTIVELY try and trick you into selling underagers.

So I suggest you put YOURSELF into that situation, and then perhaps retract your sweeping ignorant statement.
Chill out babe, on the rag?
smellslikemarmite
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Chill out babe, on the rag?
No, I just don't have a lot of respect for people like you. Don't call me babe, you don't even know me. Knob.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (250)
91.58%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (23)
8.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed