Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does the intellectual society within Britain rarely protest? watch

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly, while the UK is a democracy, and there is often less need for public demonstrations in the UK than there is in some other countries, by no stretch of the imagination is the UK the purest democracy in the world and over the years, and particularly with "New Labour", they have managed to do and pass many things that would have caused uprisings and riots in other countries (ie France, Greece, etc) that have gone without the British public batting an eye-lid.

However, whenever there is a protest, it is never the intelligent British public who protest, it's usually the brain-dead pond-life of this country who self identify as "anarchists", and other such far-left trash. 99% of these people don't have the slightest clue about the issue they're supossedly protesting, and seem to go for simply nothing more than to cause trouble and have a bit of fun.

Consequently, when the protesters can't put one coherent sentence together between them, nothing is likely to get done and things carry on the way they are.

In my opinion, New Labour have been extremely lucky that they have such a subserviant lot to rule. They know full well that their wacky, wasteful, ignorantly utopian and quite frankly dangerous ideology is at no risk of protest from intelligent people in this country who could make a difference. You have a pretty easy ride when the only protest comes from benefit scrounging retards who chant "FUK DA POLICE", etc and through their idiotic behavour serve as nothing more than target practice for police batons.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    I lost faith in this thread when I found the title didn't make sense.

I think that protests in the manor you describe, rarely solve anything.

ReputationRep:
    Because they know it'd be a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    Admittedly, while the UK is a democracy, and there is often less need for public demonstrations in the UK than there is in some other countries, by no stretch of the imagination is the UK the purest democracy in the world and over the years, and particularly with "New Labour", they have managed to do and pass many things that would have caused uprisings and riots in other countries (ie France, Greece, etc) that have gone without the British public batting an eye-lid.

However, whenever there is a protest, it is never the intelligent British public who protest, it's usually the brain-dead pond-life of this country who self identify as "anarchists", and other such far-left trash. 99% of these people don't have the slightest clue about the issue they're supossedly protesting, and seem to go for simply nothing more than to cause trouble and have a bit of fun.

Consequently, when the protesters can't put one coherent sentence together between them, nothing is likely to get done and things carry on the way they are.

In my opinion, New Labour have been extremely lucky that they have such a subserviant lot to rule. They know full well that their wacky, wasteful, ignorantly utopian and quite frankly dangerous ideology is at no risk of protest from intelligent people in this country who could make a difference. You have a pretty easy ride when the only protest comes from benefit scrounging retards who chant "FUK DA POLICE", etc and through their idiotic behavour serve as nothing more than target practice for police batons.

Discuss.
    This post is full of totally ignorant generalisations, you obviously have no idea what youre talking about. Do you know any 'protestors'? do you know much about any of the issues?

most protestors i know (and thats alot of people) are highly intelligent, highly educated people.. i know qualified doctors and lawers who are involved in the Climate Camp for example. Even I know more about the law on squatting for example than the police officer that tried to arrest me for 'tresspass' (which would not be a lawful arrest). We dont know everything, who does?! But it would be stupid to put effort into something we know nothing about... almost as stupid as thinking thats what we do.

Anarchism is not always utopian, its definately NOT wasteful, dangerous yes, but only to society, the government, and your lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're consumed by ennui.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Because they're consumed by ennui.
    Or realism, combined with being intimidated by the government and world weary about how power works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    Because they know it'd be a waste of time.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're a part of the 'intellectual society' within Britain to be honest... I know you never said you were, but just in case you were thinking it, you know.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the intelligence is clogged up by the middle class who live rather comfortable and satisfactory lives

Why would someone living in comfort protest?

ReputationRep:
    First off, while I am by no means New Labour's greatest fan, ease up a bit here. They're not the Borgias we're talking about here. We elected them. And while everyone has a vote not everyone uses it. Isn't it more likely to be a member of the, "Intellectual Society" that does use their vote?

It depends what you mean by that term of course.

However, I would have thought that on the whole the intellectuals of the country would be the ones who realise the normal futility in protests when compared to rational and well-planned arguments.

This is no doubt related to the fact that the politians are themselves intellectuals.

Right-libertarianism is growing, and they (we) will be willing to oppose and protest anti-democratic and authoritarian policies.

Not that I agree that left leaning members of society are brain dead pond life, imcapable of making a point. Their opinion should be valued as much as anybody elses, you hardly should like a champion of democracy yourself with that kind of attitude.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.