Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Or do uni's want you to have travelled the whole world helping orphans and saving the rainforests?

ReputationRep:
    Im going to do a cake making/decorating course, I decided this as of yesterday Possibly.

ReputationRep:
    If I end up taking a gap year/retaking my exams in january I'll be cycling round europe =) Screw getting a full time job! I already work enough as it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren__x)
    Im going to do a cake making/decorating course, I decided this as of yesterday Possibly.
    o m g.
    Haha.
    Thats amazing.
    Would it take a year though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MO-M-G)
    o m g.
    Haha.
    Thats amazing.
    Would it take a year though?
    Haha. I dont know, this idea just only came to me yesterday, I had this sudden ambition to own a cake making/decorating shop which does really cool wedding cakes and stuff. I need to do some research on the matter though

It doesnt seem very realistic does it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren__x)
    Haha. I dont know, this idea just only came to me yesterday, I had this sudden ambition to own a cake making/decorating shop which does really cool wedding cakes and stuff. I need to do some research on the matter though

It doesnt seem very realistic does it
    It sounds wonderful, therefore no - not very realistic, haha.
    Apparently we're all going to die from swine flu anyway, so you might as well die making cakes.

ReputationRep:
    I am at my Gap year job right now with enough money in the bank to pay for my up keep at Uni and had enough money to travel too Thailand, Dubai, Tanzania and The Netherlands. Employers will want me because I have Experienced the work place and the world.

You tell me if it was worth it working in my gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MO-M-G)
    It sounds wonderful, therefore no - not very realistic, haha.
    Apparently we're all going to die from swine flu anyway, so you might as well die making cakes.
    Wonderful things are never very realistic but someone has to own these shops!
    Swine flu, now theres a cheery thought. As long as it doesnt ruin my holiday, everyone can just die after:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobweb1989)
    I am at my Gap year job right now with enough money in the bank to pay for my up keep at Uni and had enough money to travel too Thailand, Dubai, Tanzania and The Netherlands. Employers will want me because I have Experienced the work place and the world.

You tell me if it was worth it working in my gap year?
    I vote yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nugiboy)
    Or do uni's want you to have travelled the whole world helping orphans and saving the rainforests?
    It'll be a good idea, universities will understand your gaining work experience, and it's also how people will raise money to fund uni.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good opportunity to save up some money for uni and they're not going to see that as a bad thing. Next year when your friends are struggling with uni work, jobs and a social life you'll be more on top and that's going to give you an advantage. Plus I'm sure you'll earn enough to save a couple of orphans at some point...

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming to the end of a gap year that I was thrown into in September when my first uni didn't work out for me. I had no plans for exciting travel, had left my job and had absolutely no idea how I was going to spend a year. I've never been the saving the world type, and going out the help orphans and rainforests wouldn't be my thing - though I admit it would probably end up being an amazing experience. I was lucky initially in that I was given back my old job in a coffee shop, which I really enjoyed. I sought to do things throughout the year that were related to my course so that I could write an even better personal statement on my new UCAS application. I've had a tour of the European Parliament in Brussels, been to Paris twice and spent so much time in London that I've lost count for all sorts of reasons. I was an extra in Shameless, and spoke in the audience of Question Time when it was at Nissan in Sunderland. In March I was, by chance, offered a job in an office for six months - a contract to which I am now coming to the end, and the totally different nature of the 2 jobs that I have had have provided me with invaluable experience of workplaces and their nature. Because I haven't been locked in to a rigid structure of not being able to miss lectures etc. I have had the flexibility to travel whenever I want to, and therefore saw a lot of my boyfriend when he went to university in Manchester, and also got to visit my friends in the cities that they had moved to. And due to working been able to afford to do it. I feel that having done my gap year as I have had an extra year to mature further, develop relationships and learn more about myself, and feel much more confident about my new university choice. And, what's more, I have a little bit of money to help me at uni.

So yeah, I think it's a totally viable option, and considering I got 5 unconditial offers from my second UCAS application, I don't think it's hindered me! Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.