Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know this could go into the UK politics forum, but it's also pretty suited to this forum as well, mods.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8175139.stm

Home Secretary Alan Johnson has unveiled the final design of the controversial national identity card.
    The card will be offered to members of the public in the Greater Manchester area from the end of this year.
    Ministers plan to launch the £30 biometric ID Card nationwide in 2011 or 2012 - but it will not be compulsory.
    So yeah, I'm not going to roll out all the controversies surrounding the ID card debacle as I'm sure you all must be pretty familiar with them by now. However, with this scheme looking dangerously close to completion, it seems that the Government isn't going to back down on it - no matter how many people have picket signs outside Westminster, no matter how many people sign an online petition, ID cards seem to be an inevitable future.

My question to you is this:

If ID cards should become compulsory at nationwide level, will you oblige and purchase one, or refuse to get one? Why?

Personally, I'm not getting one, period. I've got a passport, I've got a Driver's license, I have my birth certificates, I don't need yet another form of identification to prove who I am. Never mind the extreme security problems this will inevitably create, and the fact that this entire scheme was born out of post 9/11 paranoia.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see why people are so against them. Its a card saying you are who you are. As long as you are who you say you are I see no issue with it. I wouldn't pay for one though unless I thought it was going to have benefits to make life easier (e.g if it was like those IRIS scanners in the airport which means you don't have to queue for ages to get your passport checked). If it was offered free I'd get one.

ReputationRep:
    Let's All Burn Our Passports And Driving Licences!

ReputationRep:
    i want one

ReputationRep:
    I just really don't see the need for them at all, especially if there not compulsory. If the main aim is too improve national security etc and they were actually serious about this then everyone would get one free of charge and it would be made compulsory to carry them round. Not that I am comfortable with that idea either but the fact that only a quarter or so of the population will buy them turns it into a money making excersise.

ReputationRep:
    ...and so the government invents another way to extort money from us. I've just paid £72 for a new passport and now they want £30 for essentially the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    I really don't see why people are so against them. Its a card saying you are who you are. As long as you are who you say you are I see no issue with it. I wouldn't pay for one though unless I thought it was going to have benefits to make life easier (e.g if it was like those IRIS scanners in the airport which means you don't have to queue for ages to get your passport checked). If it was offered free I'd get one.
    A couple of reasons, really. Massive security issues (both at Government and personal level), high expense (both for the Government and yourself), possible abuse by figures of authority to name but a few arguments against - and they are all incredibly valid.

This page from No2ID is pretty good at summing up the cons of the scheme (although make sure you take things with a whole heap of salt, considering the source): http://www.no2id.net/IDSchemes/whyNot.php

Now, I'm not some sort of weed-toting hippy who's proclaiming we destroy all our forms of ID and just get down, but why have an ID card, when we already have a passport and (the majority of us, at least) driver's license/provisional? I realise the need for increased security and vigilance in today's climate, but charging us £30 (on top of the ~£80 passport fee) is not the way to do it, and that should be evident to all.

ReputationRep:
    What massive security issues are there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    A couple of reasons, really. Massive security issues (both at Government and personal level), high expense (both for the Government and yourself), possible abuse by figures of authority to name but a few arguments against - and they are all incredibly valid.

This page from No2ID is pretty good at summing up the cons of the scheme (although make sure you take things with a whole heap of salt, considering the source): http://www.no2id.net/IDSchemes/whyNot.php

Now, I'm not some sort of weed-toting hippy who's proclaiming we destroy all our forms of ID and just get down, but why have an ID card, when we already have a passport and (the majority of us, at least) driver's license/provisional? I realise the need for increased security and vigilance in today's climate, but charging us £30 (on top of the ~£80 passport fee) is not the way to do it, and that should be evident to all.
    Thanks for the link. I do agree I wouldn't pay for one unless it gave me benefits but overall I don't see the problem. It would be good to have my passport/driving license etc all combined on one card. It would be good if they could integrate your current account too! That would be excellent (although will never happen due to security risks). I see it as being a bit of a waste of money to bring them out but I don't have an actual problem with the 'privacy' aspect of it. I'm a law abiding citizen. I don't care if Joe Bloggs can look up on some database and see my name and where I live and what car I drive and how many pet fish I have and whether or not I've ever been to Benidorm or how many slices of bread I eat a week really. I'm sure they have more interesting people to look at.

The compulsory use of tax payers money must be justified - and I just don't see the adequate justification here to legitimise this scheme.

Not to mention that it has this awful 1984, big brother vibe to it.

And this "I have nothing to hide" argument is only applicable if you don't ever act against the state. However I personally don't believe it's immoral to oppose the government if their laws are wrong to begin with.

To give a wacky example to prove my point here. Suppose there was a law ordering you to hand over Jews to the state, so they could be gassed to death. Now suppose you think that is a bad idea and decide to keep some Jews in your house. I have "something to hide", but I don't think I'm being immoral. That's why I'm always so cynical of this 'nothing to hide' attitude, I wonder how far these people would go to comply with the government.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what the ID cards will do that passports don't already do :o:

If there proves to be an advantage for ID cards then I probably would but atm I don't see the point so am unlikely to...

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see how ID cards can prevent terrorism/improve national security, because...well how on earth could they?
    I don't see any need for ID cards or any benefit to them at all.

ReputationRep:
    god, and people whine that the government doesnt do anything, yet there are hundreds of thousands of people are up in arms because they have to carry an extra 0.5g in their wallets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    god, and people whine that the government doesnt do anything, yet there are hundreds of thousands of people are up in arms because they have to carry an extra 0.5g in their wallets.
    :facepalm:
    Doing the wrong thing \not\geq doing nothing, in this scenario.

ReputationRep:
    It won't happen. They've already sort of U-turned, they'll lose the election soon enough. Although I could see the Tories introducing it in about 11-12 years. Sort of thing dying govts do

ReputationRep:
    I dont really see the point. Like you I have passport, student ID and numerous other cards..
    I'll get one, but I dont want to pay for one if it's compulsary.
    But I cant really see any justification for them in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh...I want a foreign national card.
    Save me from carrying my passport about.

ReputationRep:
    and what happens when joe bloggs gets his hands on a fake id card machine? Hes then not just joe bloggs, but 12 other people...

ReputationRep:
    A ****ing waste of money

(Original post by mfm89)
    It won't happen. They've already sort of U-turned, they'll lose the election soon enough. Although I could see the Tories introducing it in about 11-12 years. Sort of thing dying govts do
    I hope the tories do show themselves to be willing to do this kind of thing, to drive out all their libertarians: no point in us being spread out over four parties. :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.