Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I hope the tories do show themselves to be willing to do this kind of thing, to drive out all their libertarians: no point in us being spread out over four parties. :yep:
    I have very little doubt their anti-authoritarian stances of late have been highly opportunistic. So there is hope, friend, tis hope.

(Original post by mfm89)
    I have very little doubt their anti-authoritarian stances of late have been highly opportunistic. So there is hope, friend, tis hope.
    I don't think anybody can know for sure either way as long as they are the opposition party. I actually look forward to them being in power so they are forced to reveal their true colours.

btw I am going to support the liberal democrats over the conservatives if possible, and your reply in my thread is part of the reason why. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    don t the have them in america

ReputationRep:
    Deffinatly not, I fear it will lead to wrong things (ie no leaving the house without ID)

ReputationRep:
    It's an utter waste of money they should've created an ID card that integrated passport, driving license, and ID.

Now you've got to have three individual forms of ID, all of which cost you money to purchase. I shouldn't have to purchase any further ID to prove that I'm a citizen of this country when I already own a passport and driving license.

I certainly will not carry it around with me wherever I go, if I'm out walking around in the countryside admiring the view worrying about whether I remembered to bring ID before walking up a mountain path should be the least of my worries.

ReputationRep:
    Waste of money and completely useless.

Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    I really don't see why people are so against them. Its a card saying you are who you are. As long as you are who you say you are I see no issue with it.
    Are you one of those people who wouldn't mind a DNA database as well ?

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see the fuss about it. Most other European countries already have ID cards and it's something purely document-related rather than social/political/economical.

It's a follow-up of a birth certificate, and a death certificate is a follow-up of an ID card. Just documents. Everyone's personal info is already stored in plenty of computers, so what it's going to happen is merely putting those info on a card.

However the debatable thing remain the cost of the cards. It may not be worth it, but personally I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Would never support it.

ReputationRep:
    What really gets me is the fingerprints chip. I mean, why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    Would never support it.
    This. There isn't a need for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    What massive security issues are there?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7103566.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7740593.stm

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anybody can know for sure either way as long as they are the opposition party. I actually look forward to them being in power so they are forced to reveal their true colours.

btw I am going to support the liberal democrats over the conservatives if possible, and your reply in my thread is part of the reason why. :yep:
    oo, which one was that. Well lesser of two devils, although I really should stop persuading people to vote Lib Dem, slightly counter productive.

(Original post by mfm89)
    oo, which one was that. Well lesser of two devils, although I really should stop persuading people to vote Lib Dem, slightly counter productive.
    cba to link, but it was my thread titled "who to support" - and you have no chance in hell of making me vote for labour, ever - and they have no chance in Bath anyways, this area is between tories and lib dems.

Been watching some Daniel Hannan videos though, I have to say - no liberal democrat gives me an erection quite as big as he does.

ReputationRep:
    cba to link, but it was my thread titled "who to support" - and you have no chance in hell of making me vote for labour, ever - and they have no chance in Bath anyways, this area is between tories and lib dems.

Been watching some Daniel Hannan videos though, I have to say - no liberal democrat gives me an erection quite as big as he does.
    Oh don't worry, I don't bother much with that. Sort out our own side first :rolleyes:

yes Lib Dems do tend to be a bit...soft. Noted by the fact Vince Cable is their most charismatic, popular character. Don't want to knock the guy, but...

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand. Those articles are from the past and the ID card is in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I think that they would be a very good thing to have if they were issued free of charge.

I have recently bought for £9 a Citizen Card to use as proof of age and general ID because I don't drive and don't intend to learn to do so and DON'T want to lose my passport

Does anyone have one? Do pubs/clubs accept them? I'll be really annoyed if nowhere recognises them as proof of age.

ReputationRep:
    Even if they are compulsary and everyone has to have one I ain't gonna get it, it another form of screwing us over the government doesn't listen to people never has and never will. They want to control us and make us live in fear and make as much money as possible. The chance of the information that they will have from people getting these cards will get lost on a disc or be misused by the police. This country is becoming a police state oh it already is. We have enough forms of id and these card aren't exactly going to stop terrorism etc. The government will cause another terrorism attack to keep us all scared etc and that will cause people to buy the id cards.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably get one when i'm 18 just as a form of ID. I'd rather have something like that which costs £30 than an £80 passport which i am liable to lose... Although I do agree it is unfair to make it compulsory to buy one. Especially as they offer no advantage for the card holder. Not evem 10% off your first purchase...

ReputationRep:
    as for the whole 'omg no massive database' argument, what would be available to them that isn't already available on the electoral roll? (your name, address, dob etc.)

I dont really understand how you could possibly even begin to argue that having a few insignificant details about yourself along with 50 million other people on a database somewhere would infringe your 'liberties'. I think that you have a warped idea of what your rights and liberties are if you think that, maybe you should try living in Zimbabwe or Saudi Arabia for a few months then you might have cause to protest about your rights being infringed.

the only logical argument i can see against them is that it would cost far too much money to implement, which is fair enough.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.