Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im planning to aply to cardiff university. It is to all extents and purposes the perfect uni 4 me. Only thing is I dont know if i can get the AAA/AAB required for Psychology. I am currently studying Biology, Psychology, Chemistry, French and Critical Thinking.

I was wondering how much lee-way there is with the entry requirements? Wether i am likely to be accepted with ABB or even BBB if i have a lot of extra curicculars and a good PS.

ReputationRep:
    BTW its 2010 entry

ReputationRep:
    There's only leeway if they have room for you; if they give you an offer and you don't get the right grades then they'll do all they can to fit you in before they turn you away, but if all the places on the course are filled up there's nothing they can do except perhaps offer you deferred entry or a different course.

At the end of the day though, Psychology is a very competitive course and Cardiff is a very popular place to do it, so chances are if you don't get the right grades there won't be any places left for you, so I don't fancy your chances. The best advice I can give is to work as hard as you possibly can to get the grades you need; if you work hard enough, anything's possible. Also, make sure you apply to one or two universities that give lower offers and that you are happy to go to, so you have a good insurance place to fall back on.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I currently have an offer for Civil Engineering to start this September for which I need AAB. I was told on my open day that the admissions tutor needs to get exactly 150 students- 149 or 151 would not do. Although it wasn't explained brilliantly my understanding of what they do is as follows:

The only way to guarantee exactly the number of students you have is by purposefully putting up the grade expectations but then accepting people who do not meet those conditions. There is a legal obligation for the department to accept any student with a firm offer who meets their conditions.

So if for example 151 people get ABB or better and the conditions are ABB then the uni has messed up. If of those 151 people only 100 had AAB or better then they can legally accept those 100 and ALSO take the top 50 of the 51 who missed out. They purposefully raise the grades above their expectation KNOWING that they will not have enough students who meet the conditions- this way they can ensure that they don't end up with more students than they can teach.

I don't know how widespread this idea is. Other departments may not have an exact specification of how many students they need. Others may work on a range of possible student intake and hence all students require the grades. Obviously there must be other ways of working- I can't imagine the likes of Cambridge or Imperial college working on this system. I don't know. Either way I expected when I applied for en engineering course with AAB conditions that i would HAVE to get AAB. It have since turned out that, although getting ABB is risky and would decrease my chance of getting my first accomodation, a placement is still possible.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    i have just finished first year at cardiff. i was offered AAA but got AAB, however i did get my As in biology and psychology and i think this is the reason that they let me in and since they have lowered the entry grades so there will probably be more people that do reach that target but you never know.

ReputationRep:
    Is is necessary for you to do 5 subjects? Because you might stretch yourself a little thin and so get for example 5 B's rather than 4 A's when you only need 3 grades to get in. Is there anywhere local that you could do any work experience? That may help for the summer before you send everything off at the end of the year. I'm hoping to do the same at Cardiff this year and don't think I'll get the AAB needed so fingers crossed for us both!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely food for thought. Thanx. In reply to the above, right now im not quite as sure as i was about doing 5. Maybe it would be better doing 4. I have done some work experience but i can't find any specific to psychology.

Good Luck. AS results in 3 days :s

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 17, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.