Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I want to apply to oxbridge and imperial to study earth science or medicine. I am doing loads of extras to help but scared i'm not doing everything i should is there anything i've missed:

-Starting AQA baccaluerate in sept.
    -Starting music theory in sept.
    -starting to kayak
    -Starting to volunteer in a hospice when seventeen in oct.

-member of greenpeace going to join group in nov.

-volunteered with aconservation group
    -volunteer in oxfam
    -been part of debating society
    -have academic honours from school
    -started reading new scientist
    -was news editor on school paper
    -part of jazz band
    -have grade 3 on saxophone going take grade 5
    -getting a volunteer award (vfifty)
    -going to amnesty meetings
    -got dofe bronze started gold.
    -part of team plays at school.
    -won physics prize at school.
    -part of environmental group at school.

i think thats it. what else should i do? also is an ASDAN award a good idea.

Thank you!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I hope you get rejected.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, focus more on your actual studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xang Lee)
    I hope you get rejected.
    why? why would you say something like that?

ReputationRep:
    Truth be told you don't need any ECs to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    Truth be told you don't need any ECs to get in.
    For medicine? They might be helpful for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcfch)
    Seriously, focus more on your actual studies.
    i know studies are important but to get into one of the top unis dont u need so mcuh more?
    I see your going to imperial, what did you do?

I'm sorry to pry and u dont have to answer but what were your GCSE results? i'm scared mine arent going to be good enough and am curious what undergraduates got.

Thank you.

after all of that and you dont get AAAA then you're pretty much rejected

its more important to have many A* at gcse and then top marks at your bacalaureate

what are your gcse's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeyytastic)
    i know studies are important but to get into one of the top unis dont u need so mcuh more?

I'm sorry to pry and u dont have to answer but what were your GCSE results? i'm scared mine arent going to be good enough and am curious what undergraduates got.

Thank you.
    I barely mentioned any ECs that I did in my PS (mentioned the fact that I was captain of two minor school sports and that was about it) and got an Imperial offer.

Put it this way: if you don't get 3 high A's in your AS level then no amount of ECs are going to compensate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    I barely mentioned any ECs that I did in my PS (mentioned the fact that I was captain of two minor school sports and that was about it) and got an Imperial offer.

Put it this way: if you don't get 3 high A's in your AS level then no amount of ECs are going to compensate.
    "I want to apply to oxbridge and imperial to study earth science or medicine."

EDIT: Did you quote me, then change your post? Cos your quote has disappeared lol.

ReputationRep:
    They don't count for **** unless you can reflect on them. There's no sense in doing anything because you think you should, as if you can't relate, reflect and explain it cogently and enthusiastically on your PS and at interviews nobody's going to care anyway.

For example, you say you've started reading new scientist. Is this because you're actually interested in the articles, or because it's the "done thing"? If it's the latter, you'd be better off doing something you enjoy.

ReputationRep:

Thank you.
    In short, no. Of course one or 2 extra curricular activities would be good to show youre not a complete academic nerd, and do have other interests outside of school. But what you've just listed is 10x what you need.
    I did do a lot of ECs, but thats not why I got into Imperial, its my grades that got me in. I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE, but A level results are much more important. If you muck up GCSEs but redeem yourself in A level, it should be fine. Obviously, if someone got the same as you at A level but better at GCSE then they have the clear advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcfch)
    In short, no. Of course one or 2 extra curricular activities would be good to show youre not a complete academic nerd, and do have other interests outside of school. But what you've just listed is 10x what you need.
    I did do a lot of ECs, but thats not why I got into Imperial, its my grades that got me in. I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE, but A level results are much more important. If you muck up GCSEs but redeem yourself in A level, it should be fine. Obviously, if someone got the same as you at A level but better at GCSE then they have the clear advantage.
    Do bear in mind he's considering medicine, where volunteering/work exp/ECs can be important. (Though I agree what he has listed is probably far in excess of what you actually need)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Do bear in mind he's considering medicine, where volunteering/work exp/ECs can be important. (Though I agree what he has listed is probably far in excess of what you actually need)
    Yup, agreed, if its Medicine then work experience in that field is crucial. But general ECs aren't looked upon so much.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I want to apply to oxbridge and imperial to study earth science or medicine. I am doing loads of extras to help but scared i'm not doing everything i should is there anything i've missed:

-Starting AQA baccaluerate in sept.
    -Starting music theory in sept.
    -starting to kayak
    -Starting to volunteer in a hospice when seventeen in oct.

-member of greenpeace going to join group in nov.

-volunteered with aconservation group
    -volunteer in oxfam
    -been part of debating society
    -have academic honours from school
    -was news editor on school paper
    -part of jazz band
    -have grade 3 on saxophone going take grade 5
    -getting a volunteer award (vfifty)
    -going to amnesty meetings
    -got dofe bronze started gold.
    -part of team plays at school.
    -won physics prize at school.
    -part of environmental group at school.

i think thats it. what else should i do? also is an ASDAN award a good idea.

Thank you!
    xx
    As Jonty989 has already pointed out twice, those ECs will do you little good for medicine. You should re-think what you are doing if you hope to get into a medical course.

Those ECs will make little positive or negative difference for earth science.

ReputationRep:
    For earth science, only very relevant ECs will be of any interest, and even then they won't even be looked at.

For medicine, you need to get medical work experience/experience in a caring environment (eg. nursing home).

For the unis you mentioned though, even for medicine they care about grades more than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    As Jonty989 has already pointed out twice, those ECs will do you little good for medicine. You should re-think what you are doing if you hope to get into a medical course.

Those ECs will make little positive or negative difference for earth science.
    in that case what extra curriculars are good for medicine?

its just i have read so many books for oxbridge saying you need a sport a musical instrument, dofe, voluntary work,leadership position etc. so i dont know what to think.

most of these extra curriculars are done out of interest for them.
    also i started reading the new scientist for mixed reasons one because it was said it was a good idea but most importantly because i actually find them interesting.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I think the whole point of doing extracurriculars, especially for a subject like Medicine, is that they're relevant to your subject... you need to do something like volunteer in a hospital, shadow a doctor or go on a course like Medlink... nothing that you've listed has anything to do with Medicine, and most has little to do with Earth Science. Oxford and Cambridge in particular have made it pretty clear that they don't give a monkey's testicle about extracurriculars that aren't relevant, and focus much more heavily on academics than anything else. Just go to their websites and you'll find info on this. It's true that Medicine does require a lot of ECs, but they have to be relevant to Medicine, rather than volunteering in Oxfam and playing sax to grade 3. If you want to make your application look good, you really have to focus on getting good grades, reading around the subject you want to study and doing activities which are directly relevant to it... doing what you're doing at the moment, albeit very impressive, isn't going to get you very far in terms of applying to these unis.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your answers so far, they are very much appreciated. if i may go slightly off topic i am having alot of fears in regards to a few of my GCSEs: for example i think i may be getting a few B's how much does this put me at a disadvantage? as i went to a private school. ia have had academic honours in the past but a i mucked up a few exams due to many reasons and am now scared i have ruined my chances, i know GCSEs bear some importance but how much?

ReputationRep:
    Probably just a little much? Honestly as many people have pointed out...grades are more important? Although i cant see how going to amnesty meetings are going to help get a place. You wont have much space to write in your PS, and (people correct me if I'm wrong?) from what ive heard during the interview they test more on you scientific knowledge? :confused:

A pet hate! You should read New Scientist because you want to. Not because you need to.

EDIT: Ok, ok i read your post about your mixed reasons for reading new scientist. But i'm curious which came first? The interest or the reading about other people reading it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.