Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    But im just not that kind of sport/music person? My hobbies include art (designing and drawing) and writing (both which i really love) which is quite hard to quantify "Oh yes, you are definitely very good at writing."

So the point is, provided i get the grades and I've already done work experience (and gained a realistic idea of medicine), do you think i'll be ok?

Thx :yes:
    Your hobbies are great. You can talk about what you do and why you like doing those things. You don't have to fit a specific mould.

However, don't disadvantage your self by applying to a university which requires a sport for example. It would just lead to a pointless rejection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by another ib-er)
    Your hobbies are great. You can talk about what you do and why you like doing those things. You don't have to fit a specific mould.

However, don't disadvantage your self by applying to a university which requires a sport for example. It would just lead to a pointless rejection.

I know i should really research it myself, but of the top of your head do u know which unis might prefer sport/music? Ok if you dont :p:

Thx....again :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moronic Acid)
    Earth science or Medicine?

I'm inclined to doubt your commitment to medicine (which is essential in medicine applications) if you're still deciding between medicine and another very different course
    Yh i guess i just feel confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeyytastic)
    Thank you very much. i am going to volunteer in a hospice and am shadowing a doctor in october and am going to medlink in december.
    so does a musical instrument not matter?
    xx
    If you enjoy your instument keep playing by all means...but leave it out of your PS.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, cause ive just been quietly fuming/combusting for the last couple of weeks. I want to try to apply for medicine but just by glancing at the internet i see mounts of people with like grade 10 everything, Olympic medals and so much volunteering they are practically saints. But im just not that kind of sport/music person? My hobbies include art (designing and drawing) and writing (both which i really love) which is quite hard to quantify "Oh yes, you are definitely very good at writing."
    So the point is, provided i get the grades and I've already done work experience (and gained a realistic idea of medicine), do you think i'll be ok?
    Thx
    In a PS I think what it should always show is:

- It should be well written and organised -> shows you're intelligent or at least competent.

- It should show evidence of work experience and from that a considered decision to do medicine. You should talk about YOUR motives. Nothing generic. This includes hospital as well some non-hospital ie. residential home. You don't need to be with "a neurosrugeon in america" etc. lol - just some solid work experience in a hospital that is thoughtfully written about is great.

- Communication skills (especially for Southampton/Edinburgh) - you can are an effective communicator and can do this well for your patients. A job? Debating? so many other things

- Interests and hobbies ie. extra ciricular activities. Mention things you do day to day for fun and if you have tangible achievements in fields ie. cricket teams, grades with instruments etc, that is the best. You dont need many but do have some. They need to know you have something to help you relax!

The main point im trying to emphasise (to the OP) is that do not try and "improve" your application with lots of unnecessary things which you wouldnt have done otherwise thinking "oh theyd never reject someone with so many EXCs - everyone is going on about that".

Two or three solid things is fine.

Use your logic to work out that your grades + interview and attitudes/qualities for medicine are more improtant!

ReputationRep:

I know i should really research it myself, but of the top of your head do u know which unis might prefer sport/music? Ok if you dont :p:

Thx....again :woo:
    Sorry, I would tell you if I remembered, but I did all that research last summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    In a PS I think what it should always show is:

- It should be well written and organised -> shows you're intelligent or at least competent.

- It should show evidence of work experience and from that a considered decision to do medicine. You should talk about YOUR motives. Nothing generic. This includes hospital as well some non-hospital ie. residential home. You don't need to be with "a neurosrugeon in america" etc. lol - just some solid work experience in a hospital that is thoughtfully written about is great.

- Communication skills (especially for Southampton/Edinburgh) - you can are an effective communicator and can do this well for your patients. A job? Debating? so many other things

- Interests and hobbies ie. extra ciricular activities. Mention things you do day to day for fun and if you have tangible achievements in fields ie. cricket teams, grades with instruments etc, that is the best. You dont need many but do have some. They need to know you have something to help you relax!

The main point im trying to emphasise (to the OP) is that do not try and "improve" your application with lots of unnecessary things which you wouldnt have done otherwise thinking "oh theyd never reject someone with so many EXCs - everyone is going on about that".

Two or three solid things is fine.

Use your logic to work out that your grades + interview and attitudes/qualities for medicine are more improtant!
    :woo: Thanks a lot for helping! I just wasn't sure
    Ach writing my PS, don't really want to think about it... Anyways, yeah i was worried i would need to start taking up hobbies, just to get a chance for a place. Obviously not !
    Help is appreciated greatly :yes:

Also..couldnt help but notice, u spelt importantly wrong...Yes i am one of those types that get infuriated if something minor is out of place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by another ib-er)
    Sorry, I would tell you if I remembered, but I did all that research last summer.
    No worries :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xang Lee)
    I hope you get rejected.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    If you enjoy your instument keep playing by all means...but leave it out of your PS.
    Don't leave it out, that would just make them think you don't do anything when you clearly do. Plus, some interviewers may ask you about things like that...

ReputationRep:
    :woo: Thanks a lot for helping! I just wasn't sure
    Ach writing my PS, don't really want to think about it... Anyways, yeah i was worried i would need to start taking up hobbies, just to get a chance for a place. Obviously not !
    Help is appreciated greatly :yes:

Also..couldnt help but notice, u spelt importantly wrong...Yes i am one of those types that get infuriated if something minor is out of place!
    Eh? You clearly don't get infuriated by your own writing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    Why would you leave it out? ECs should be mentioned on a medicine personal statement (dunno about earth science).

ReputationRep:
    Yh i guess i just feel confused.
    Well I guess you've still got enough time to decide between the two

As for your list of achievements, quite a lot of that stuff will be completely irrelevant to either application.
    Just concentrate on getting some valuable work experience (i.e. something you can actually talk about in an interview, and you should be able to explain what you gained from the experience) and make sure you do well academically too (you could do all the extra-curricular activities in the world, but unless you meet the university entry requirements it's all pointless)
    With regards to extra-curricular stuff, universities will be much more impressed with a few significant achievements as opposed to a long list of relatively meaningless stuff (and you should also be able to explain what transferrable skills you have gained from these achievements)

ReputationRep:
    You'll certainly fit in with the rest of TSR then :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Why would you leave it out? ECs should be mentioned on a medicine personal statement (dunno about earth science).
    To be brutally honest grade 3 is not much of an achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    To be brutally honest grade 3 is not much of an achievement.
    Oh I didn't know he was grade 3.

ReputationRep:
    I make that 1 each for not reading the OP properly

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I want to apply to oxbridge and imperial to study earth science or medicine. I am doing loads of extras to help but scared i'm not doing everything i should is there anything i've missed:

-Starting AQA baccaluerate in sept.
    -Starting music theory in sept.
    -starting to kayak
    -Starting to volunteer in a hospice when seventeen in oct.

-member of greenpeace going to join group in nov.

-volunteered with aconservation group
    -volunteer in oxfam
    -been part of debating society
    -have academic honours from school
    -started reading new scientist
    -was news editor on school paper
    -part of jazz band
    -have grade 3 on saxophone going take grade 5
    -getting a volunteer award (vfifty)
    -going to amnesty meetings
    -got dofe bronze started gold.
    -part of team plays at school.
    -won physics prize at school.
    -part of environmental group at school.

i think thats it. what else should i do? also is an ASDAN award a good idea.

Thank you!
    xx
    I might be mistaken but do Oxbridge or Imperial really care about how many musical instruments you can play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moronic Acid)
    You'll certainly fit in with the rest of TSR then :rolleyes:
    I don't know whether that's an insult or compliment... so i'll just make this face :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    Eh? You clearly don't get infuriated by your own writing.
    :rolleyes: no not really... hehehe :eek3:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.