Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so basically I started uni in 2008 but dropped out before Christmas because it just didn't feel like the right place for me at that moment. I spent the rest of the year working and doing some volunteer work and didn't apply to uni for 2009. Now I'm planning to apply for 2010 but obviously I'm going to spend another gap year before I can start. Planning to do some travelling, maybe studying in the open university and probably will be working as a part-time piano teacher.

What do you think universities will think of all this? Have I lost my credibility as an university student? Will they consider my application to be equal to those who are are just finishing their A-levels?

Also, will the unis know that I've studied in the UK before (I'm not British and don't live in the UK atm)? Is it necessary to explain why I dropped out in 2008?

ReputationRep:
    It won't affect negatively on your application, unless you write something like 'yeah I'm really lazy so just dossed around for two years'. While it's not common, quite a few people have two or more gap years, so it's not unusual either .

ReputationRep:
    big it up... emphasise that you volunteer. You don't need to say that you did travel... just that your planned to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeJBB)
    It won't affect negatively on your application, unless you write something like 'yeah I'm really lazy so just dossed around for two years'. While it's not common, quite a few people have two or more gap years, so it's not unusual either .
    Ok great to hear that

I just did some stalking at your profile and noticed that you've also dropped out and had some gap years. How did you explain it in your personal statement - if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it'll look good! You should mention all that and it'll look positive. And they accept mature students, so two gap years isn't that big.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing the same. Don't worry about it. Here is UCL's position on your (and my) situation, when I emailed them a pre-application query on the same matter:

(Original post by UCL Admissions)
    The fact that your are taking an extra year out will not be an advantage or a disadvantage in your application. We receive many applications from candidates in all different situations, for example, those returning to education or applying from another subject, and we consider all applications in the same way.

The admissions tutors will take into account all the information provided on your UCAS form, including why you have decided to reapply through UCAS for X and what you are doing in order to make the most of your gap year, for example, working, travelling, obtaining work experience.

If UCL are generally tolerant of your situation, and welcoming, then don't fret - most other universities will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueLips)
    Ok great to hear that

I just did some stalking at your profile and noticed that you've also dropped out and had some gap years. How did you explain it in your personal statement - if you don't mind me asking?
    Yea no probs, well my sistuations slightly different; after finishing my A Levels I had one gap year, then went to uni for a year (completed the year), then dropped out at the end of that year (last year), now I'm just coming to the end of another year out, which I used to reapply, and mainly worked then travelled India.

So in my PS, I only really had a brief paragraph regarding me dropping out of uni (I was studying Theatre Studies, and the new application was for Politics/International Relations); I put something along the lines of that while I'd enjoyed the first year of my original degree, I realised that I was on the wrong path. While studying political theatre, such as practitioners like Brecht, McGrath and Muller, had been my favourite part of the course, I realised that it was the political aspects (such as the subject they dealt with, the practitioners' motivations, their political beliefs, and what effect they could thought theatre could have on the political system, and changing the political system) that I was really interested in, rather than the dramatic techniques they used to get their message across, and the practical considerations of staging a performance.

Then I only put a brief mention at the end of how I was going to fill the year, as I hoped it was pretty clear that the main reason I was having another year out was because I wanted to reapply, not because I actually wanted another year out

I got rejected from Cambridge, but in my feedback letter they put that I'd justified my change of course well, so I think if you are going to mention your time at uni, it's good if you can find a may of linking the two subjects.

Hope that helps,

J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeJBB)
    ..so I think if you are going to mention your time at uni, it's good if you can find a may of linking the two subjects.

Hope that helps,

J
    It did, thanks Joe !

My only problem is that the course I dropped out from was politics and now I'm planning to apply for politics and/or international relations. I didn't drop out because I didn't like my course, I had different reasons. So I have no idea how to put this in my personal statement? I'm sure the admissions tutors are going to wonder why I'm applying for the same course again or why I dropped out in the first place, and I can't really give a good explanation . It just was the wrong place and wrong time and I realized that I want to have a gap year and do stuff I might not ever get another chance to do.

Is it possible just not mention my previous university studies? Will they know that I've applied before if apply for some of the same universities?

ReputationRep:
    I also had 2 years out before reaplying for this year. Rather than put a negative slant on my application, I believe it helped me get in! Manchester rejected me in 2007 since my A-Levels weren't good enough, but since having time out working and maturing they have accepted me (albeit for a different course) with the same poor A-Level grades. As long as you fill your time out with experiences you can talk about in your PS like work, travel, volunteering...then there is no problem. Good luck on your application 2010.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    I also had 2 years out before reaplying for this year. Rather than put a negative slant on my application, I believe it helped me get in! Manchester rejected me in 2007 since my A-Levels weren't good enough, but since having time out working and maturing they have accepted me (albeit for a different course) with the same poor A-Level grades. As long as you fill your time out with experiences you can talk about in your PS like work, travel, volunteering...then there is no problem. Good luck on your application 2010.
    Thanks!
    I didn't think that taking gap years might be such a positive thing :eek:

I worked two months in a kindergarten, two months as a shop assistant, got a two month scholarship for volunteering and traveling in South Africa and did some volunteer work on several youth camps.
    So last year was quite busy but I'm a bit afraid that I won't be having so much to do next year - even getting a job atm is really hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueLips)
    Thanks!
    I didn't think that taking gap years might be such a positive thing :eek:

I worked two months in a kindergarten, two months as a shop assistant, got a two month scholarship for volunteering and traveling in South Africa and did some volunteer work on several youth camps.
    So last year was quite busy but I'm a bit afraid that I won't be having so much to do next year - even getting a job atm is really hard.
    Well universities are aware that students with greater life experience are more likely to see a degree through and do well, so it's no surprise they look upon gap years positively when they're full with things such as what you have done! You must have had quite a year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    Well universities are aware that students with greater life experience are more likely to see a degree through and do well, so it's no surprise they look upon gap years positively when they're full with things such as what you have done! You must have had quite a year!
    Yeah I guess that's true.
    I did have quite a year . Unfortunately it just took some time to get over the 'oh my god I dropped out of uni, I'm such a loser' -feeling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.