Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I brought my laptop (VAIO) 2 years ago for a whopping £1800 which was more than my sisters and brothers cars combined...

Now I look back, and think I could have been a little more wiser, but then I think again and say to myself "it was the past and my laptops stll kickin' so it was worth it..."

Am I just convincing myself or was it a mistake spending that much?

ReputationRep:
    it depends what you got for your money and if you could afford it. I personally would never never spend that much on a comp. i'd go to about £800 if it was top range.

ReputationRep:
    I would never spend that money on a latop. I might use it to build and update a PC over ten years or so, (including the software of course) but I couldn't spend it all at once. I would feel dirty.

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    It is a lot for a laptop, but I spent around that for a top of the range Toshiba around 3 years ago. It was still in perfect working order when it was stolen from my house in a burglary last year. I was absolutely gutted as it was the most expensive thing I had ever bought for myself.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    That depends on the spec of the computer. Im looking at getting a macbook pro with a few upgrades and that comes at £1000 with the education discount they give.

ReputationRep:
    YES!!! and you know it!

ReputationRep:
    I would not buy a laptop for that amount.

I might build a tower etc for myself that was incredibly powerful which may total £1800 but not on a laptop which would be obsolete within 2/3 years and no way to update it.

ReputationRep:
    If you dont have either an extreme core 2 duo, or a quad core duo processor and a high quality graphics card you have payed well over the odds. Being a Sony that is almost certainly the case.

Look what you can get for roughly that price now.....

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product...php?pid=171297

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew_)
    If you dont have either an extreme core 2 duo, or a quad core duo processor and a high quality graphics card you have payed well over the odds. Being a Sony that is almost certainly the case.

Look what you can get for roughly that price now.....

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product...php?pid=171297
    o.0? High end Vaio's are usually awesome, besides, the link you gave isn't a laptop. It's a housebrick.

ReputationRep:
    wow wow yes it is too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniper-Squeak)
    I brought my laptop (VAIO) 2 years ago for a whopping £1800 which was more than my sisters and brothers cars combined...

Now I look back, and think I could have been a little more wiser, but then I think again and say to myself "it was the past and my laptops stll kickin' so it was worth it..."

Am I just convincing myself or was it a mistake spending that much?

Can you post the specs?

ReputationRep:
    You could have better spent that money on a desktop that would easily outperform your laptop at the time, and then with the money left over pay someone to carry it around for you for a year so it was still portable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    o.0? High end Vaio's are usually awesome, besides, the link you gave isn't a laptop. It's a housebrick.
    It is indeed, but still a hell of a machine!

I've always found Vaio's to be overpriced by about £300 compared to similar specced machines.

Give us the spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Can you post the specs?
    Lol sure, and in addition to all the other replies I got, it was a bit too much but at the time, thats how things were. Looking back at the VAIO laptop range, and they're much cheaper!

Although I was given the money, I believe I could have spent it more wisely lol (which I will in the future). Besides, the laptop was for work and buisness only Lol. I do have a PC for gaming, (which needs upgrading) but in he future, I'd rather spend that amount given to me upgrading a PC and buying a new laptop too

Anyway, the specs were maxed out (for the time). Its a Core 2 Duo at 2 Ghz each, 4 MB Ram, 100 Gb on the Hard drive, came with Vista Buisness, MS Office 2007, it has a built in webcam, finger-print sensor, built in bluetooth and WiFi, LAN and WAN, it has a 7 hour battery life, it weighs under 2 Kg, HD anti-glare Screen and erm... that's pretty much all of it I think...

And now I gotta restart the thing cuz it says I've been infected with a virus :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniper-Squeak)

Anyway, the specs were maxed out (for the time). Its a Core 2 Duo at 2 Ghz each, 4 MB Ram, 100 Gb on the Hard drive, came with Vista Buisness, MS Office 2007, it has a built in webcam, finger-print sensor, built in bluetooth and WiFi, LAN and WAN, it has a 7 hour battery life, it weighs under 2 Kg, HD anti-glare Screen and erm... that's pretty much all of it I think...
    4gb ram I'd assume Does it have an external graphics card?

You could probably get the above for maybe 500-600 nowadays, minus the flashy finger print sensor

ReputationRep:
    definitely a mistake £1800 for a laptop!!! are you crazy or just got money to blow!! you can get a powerful laptop for like £600

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anandv05)
    definitely a mistake £1800 for a laptop!!! are you crazy or just got money to blow!! you can get a powerful laptop for like £600
    Bear in mind this was a few years ago, both Desktops and Laptops were more expensive.

Saying that yes you spent far, far to much, especially so considering you say you have a desktop you use for gaming and all you use it for it work etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anandv05)
    Lol it is a "Sony" product... they love high-prices :P (they like quality too...)

I see VAIO as a quintessential in the market of Personal Notebooks... and I did have the money :p: lol

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.