Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I brought my laptop (VAIO) 2 years ago for a whopping £1800 which was more than my sisters and brothers cars combined...

Now I look back, and think I could have been a little more wiser, but then I think again and say to myself "it was the past and my laptops stll kickin' so it was worth it..."

Am I just convincing myself or was it a mistake spending that much?

ReputationRep:
    it depends what you got for your money and if you could afford it. I personally would never never spend that much on a comp. i'd go to about £800 if it was top range.

ReputationRep:
    I would never spend that money on a latop. I might use it to build and update a PC over ten years or so, (including the software of course) but I couldn't spend it all at once. I would feel dirty.

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    It is a lot for a laptop, but I spent around that for a top of the range Toshiba around 3 years ago. It was still in perfect working order when it was stolen from my house in a burglary last year. I was absolutely gutted as it was the most expensive thing I had ever bought for myself.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    That depends on the spec of the computer. Im looking at getting a macbook pro with a few upgrades and that comes at £1000 with the education discount they give.

ReputationRep:
    YES!!! and you know it!

ReputationRep:
    I would not buy a laptop for that amount.

I might build a tower etc for myself that was incredibly powerful which may total £1800 but not on a laptop which would be obsolete within 2/3 years and no way to update it.

ReputationRep:
    If you dont have either an extreme core 2 duo, or a quad core duo processor and a high quality graphics card you have payed well over the odds. Being a Sony that is almost certainly the case.

Look what you can get for roughly that price now.....

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product...php?pid=171297

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew_)
    If you dont have either an extreme core 2 duo, or a quad core duo processor and a high quality graphics card you have payed well over the odds. Being a Sony that is almost certainly the case.

Look what you can get for roughly that price now.....

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product...php?pid=171297
    o.0? High end Vaio's are usually awesome, besides, the link you gave isn't a laptop. It's a housebrick.

ReputationRep:
    wow wow yes it is too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniper-Squeak)
    I brought my laptop (VAIO) 2 years ago for a whopping £1800 which was more than my sisters and brothers cars combined...

Now I look back, and think I could have been a little more wiser, but then I think again and say to myself "it was the past and my laptops stll kickin' so it was worth it..."

Am I just convincing myself or was it a mistake spending that much?

Can you post the specs?

ReputationRep:
    You could have better spent that money on a desktop that would easily outperform your laptop at the time, and then with the money left over pay someone to carry it around for you for a year so it was still portable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    o.0? High end Vaio's are usually awesome, besides, the link you gave isn't a laptop. It's a housebrick.
    It is indeed, but still a hell of a machine!

I've always found Vaio's to be overpriced by about £300 compared to similar specced machines.

Give us the spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Can you post the specs?
    Lol sure, and in addition to all the other replies I got, it was a bit too much but at the time, thats how things were. Looking back at the VAIO laptop range, and they're much cheaper!

Although I was given the money, I believe I could have spent it more wisely lol (which I will in the future). Besides, the laptop was for work and buisness only Lol. I do have a PC for gaming, (which needs upgrading) but in he future, I'd rather spend that amount given to me upgrading a PC and buying a new laptop too

Anyway, the specs were maxed out (for the time). Its a Core 2 Duo at 2 Ghz each, 4 MB Ram, 100 Gb on the Hard drive, came with Vista Buisness, MS Office 2007, it has a built in webcam, finger-print sensor, built in bluetooth and WiFi, LAN and WAN, it has a 7 hour battery life, it weighs under 2 Kg, HD anti-glare Screen and erm... that's pretty much all of it I think...

And now I gotta restart the thing cuz it says I've been infected with a virus :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniper-Squeak)

Anyway, the specs were maxed out (for the time). Its a Core 2 Duo at 2 Ghz each, 4 MB Ram, 100 Gb on the Hard drive, came with Vista Buisness, MS Office 2007, it has a built in webcam, finger-print sensor, built in bluetooth and WiFi, LAN and WAN, it has a 7 hour battery life, it weighs under 2 Kg, HD anti-glare Screen and erm... that's pretty much all of it I think...
    4gb ram I'd assume Does it have an external graphics card?

You could probably get the above for maybe 500-600 nowadays, minus the flashy finger print sensor

ReputationRep:
    definitely a mistake £1800 for a laptop!!! are you crazy or just got money to blow!! you can get a powerful laptop for like £600

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anandv05)
    definitely a mistake £1800 for a laptop!!! are you crazy or just got money to blow!! you can get a powerful laptop for like £600
    Bear in mind this was a few years ago, both Desktops and Laptops were more expensive.

Saying that yes you spent far, far to much, especially so considering you say you have a desktop you use for gaming and all you use it for it work etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anandv05)
    Lol it is a "Sony" product... they love high-prices :P (they like quality too...)

I see VAIO as a quintessential in the market of Personal Notebooks... and I did have the money :p: lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.