Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    4gb ram I'd assume Does it have an external graphics card?

You could probably get the above for maybe 500-600 nowadays, minus the flashy finger print sensor
    The graphics are a bit... like a fish that's gone off lol. I wasn't really after graphics, as it's a buisness laptop... :o:

ReputationRep:
    Good god, I'd never pay £1800 for a laptop. The laptop I have (Dell XPS M1330) cost me £1050 back in october 2007, and it has basically the same spec as that - just 2GB of RAM instead of 4. I used it when i went travelling on my gap year for everything - gaming, working, using the net, everything.

To be honest I'd never pay £1800 for much other than a car. :p: All my computers combined (this laptop, my desktop, and my Eee 901 upgraded) cost me only just over £1800. I mean sure, it might be a shiny laptop, but with a Vaio you pay Sony-tax, just like with a macbook you pay Apple-tax.

£1800 on a laptop is way too much.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I see it like this- we got, 2 months ago, a brand new 15.2" HP with 3GB RAM, dualcore 1.8GHz, 160GB HDD, DVDRW, bluetooth, vista home premium etc etc for £380. £1800 for not very much more.. even, admittedly, with the age difference, wasnt a great deal..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniper-Squeak)
    I brought my laptop (VAIO) 2 years ago for a whopping £1800 which was more than my sisters and brothers cars combined...

Now I look back, and think I could have been a little more wiser, but then I think again and say to myself "it was the past and my laptops stll kickin' so it was worth it..."

Am I just convincing myself or was it a mistake spending that much?

OUCH!!!!! My laptop costs a sixth of that price!!! I could get a good car for that money!!!

Sorry, that is far too much, you can get vaios from as little as £600. You could get three of them. Can you show us a pic or tell us the famous PC that costs £1800?

ReputationRep:
    you spend what you spend. I spent nearly that much (or it would have been without student discount) on mine and I basically never use it. I don't regret buying it though because it's invaluable for when i do use it.

[macbook pro]

ReputationRep:
    I spent £1200 on a tablet pc back in the day, to be honest I should have bought a decent laptop and a separate wacom as it just never worked. I thought I'd never spend more than 1k on a PC again but i7 was far too tempting. £1800? no chance. £1200 is my limit for PC's and that's roughly every 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    The real question is:

Have you got, in your opinion, £1800 worth of use from it? If yes, then no; £1800 is not too much.

This is how I can justify loads of things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    The real question is:

Have you got, in your opinion, £1800 worth of use from it? If yes, then no; £1800 is not too much.

This is how I can justify loads of things!
    How could he possibly have got £1800 worth of use out of it?

By the sounds of it he used it for excel/word/powerpoint.

Complete waste of money. Think what you could have done with that. Round the world trip easy.

£1800 on a laptop?? . . sod that - could go on a damn good holiday for that.

But I guess if you are happy with it, then who are we to judge? . . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    How could he possibly have got £1800 worth of use out of it?

By the sounds of it he used it for excel/word/powerpoint.

Complete waste of money. Think what you could have done with that. Round the world trip easy.
    It's quite possible that the work he did on the laptop generated more than £1800 worth of income.

ReputationRep:
    I've had my (then) £500 laptop for two years now and it's still kicking. I'd only advocate paying that much if you used it for high-end gaming (or whatever else requires that much power).

ReputationRep:
    That's like asking whether £50 000 is a lot for a car. Yeah, but if you can afford it, why not...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Sniper-Squeak]The graphics are a bit... like a fish that's gone off lol. I wasn't really after graphics, as it's a buisness laptop... :o:[/QUOTE

It's too late to care about it now, but it's a lot.

I got a £850 laptop for £550 just by using discount vouchers and picking the opportune moment to buy.

Ended up with Dual Core 2.4ghz processor, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD
    Slightly above average graphics!
    Nice and easy, and it looks so good.

ReputationRep:
    4GB RAM for 'business'? Do you work for Pixar?

ReputationRep:
    You could spend that money on this instead.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

Oooooh -,-

ReputationRep:
    Depends really. It's all about cost and worth, how much is £1800 to you? If you're rich enough to not have to think about spending 2k then no, it's not too much. If you spent ages saving up to finally buy a laptop, then yes. Laptops aren't really 'future-proof' even at that price range. I spend £800-1000 on a new laptop every year and I think even that's excessive. Besides, much of the 1800 price tag is just for the Sony label. Still, if you still feel the laptop is still going good then it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion it's a rediculous amount to spend on a laptop. What do you use it for?

Edit: just read that it's a business laptop so, correction: it's an INSANELY rediculous price to spend on a laptop.

What spec is it?

ReputationRep:
    Now that it's already bought, I'd just look at the positives.
    I wouldnt spend that much on a laptop and by the sounds of it you won't again either, but next time you can just shop around a little more. At least you''ve learnt your lesson now.

ReputationRep:
    you canget better laptops than yours for about 400-500 now, and last year probly around 600-700

and the year you brought it, probs around 900/1000

you got ripped off, ask advice and lots of questions before you blow any money on any computer.

laptops that are a year old and selling off remaining stock for around 500 are lots better than that laptop.

do your research, i'm guessing your not a computer guy, since you put 4mb ram and 2.0ghz for each core. its 2.0 overall, cores are irrelelvant for the speed, they just help with multi threading and tasking

ReputationRep:
    could buy a car or two for that money, so no.

yes i do base all of my purchase decision on how many cars i could get for the same money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.