Turn on thread page Beta

is £1800 too much for a Laptop? watch

ReputationRep:
    Lol @ the cost of that laptop. Seriously, you should have bought a regular desktop laptop (with same specs) and then a car to drive the thing around... all for the same price!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I personally would feel uncomfortable spending any more than 400 on a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    The real question is:

Have you got, in your opinion, £1800 worth of use from it? If yes, then no; £1800 is not too much.

This is how I can justify loads of things!
    The Laptop I have ryt, is in my eyes, perfect... I'm using it ryt now... have always used it, everywhere, and always will, until it just... dies :eek: . The thing is, I'm keeping this bit of tech with me for a while.. like the next 3-4 years so its my value for money...

It's a great laptop... its really light and small, so u can carry it without bother, its got 7 hours battery life, so it dnt go off for a whilee and I use it everywhere... on the train, at school (used to) and now at uni if I get there in spetember lol... its a right fighter! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    4GB RAM for 'business'? Do you work for Pixar?
    Lol I have used it for a few cool projects :cool: its great for buisness as I stated ealier, its really light, small and has a long battery life!

The cost comes mainly from the 11" XLCD (I think, or was it HD?) screen which is just 2-3mm thick! Lol they told me its £900 to replace... but I make sure I look after my things and use them well

ReputationRep:
    My Vaio cost £400.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:
    (Original post by Lee90)
    you canget better laptops than yours for about 400-500 now, and last year probly around 600-700

and the year you brought it, probs around 900/1000

you got ripped off, ask advice and lots of questions before you blow any money on any computer.

laptops that are a year old and selling off remaining stock for around 500 are lots better than that laptop.

do your research, i'm guessing your not a computer guy, since you put 4mb ram and 2.0ghz for each core. its 2.0 overall, cores are irrelelvant for the speed, they just help with multi threading and tasking
    At the time, the cheaper (£300-£800) laptops wer slabs! too heavy and insanely low battery life! I did my research well and I wanted quality AND quantity inc. service which is what I got and still am reaping the rewards from the hefty price tag...

I am a comp guy, kinda a geek lol but after 2.5 years, its still running smooth, service is great, they took it back for free to clean it using ultra-sound technology inside and out and replaced and upgraded a few parts too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    My Vaio cost £400.
    Which series?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzramz)
    OUCH!!!!! My laptop costs a sixth of that price!!! I could get a good car for that money!!!

Sorry, that is far too much, you can get vaios from as little as £600. You could get three of them. Can you show us a pic or tell us the famous PC that costs £1800?
    It was the TZ series.. from Sony Style, l'l try getting a pik

ReputationRep:
    yes!! My vaio that i bought 2 1/2 years ago cost £1000 and was a top of the range model from pc world

ReputationRep:
    £1800 - you could or brought two decent laptops , or even four mid level laptops with that money!

people spend way too much money on pc equipment these days when all they do on it is surf the internet for facebook, photoshop pictures, play dvds / music on it and do a bit of word doc.

you definately don't need 4GB of ram to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Lol @ the cost of that laptop. Seriously, you should have bought a regular desktop laptop (with same specs) and then a car to drive the thing around... all for the same price!
    Lol that was the only laptop closest to those specs at the tym... and wasn't old enuf to drive then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniper-Squeak)
    Which series?
    Vaio VGN-NR32(M)

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/laptops/sony-vaio-nr32m-s/

It's not the expensive and luxurious Vaio we know and love but you can't go wrong for the price.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah laptops were a bit pricey back then, I bought mine just before Christmas 08', it's a Dell XPS M1530 with better specs and that finger print reader, I got it for £700.

ReputationRep:
    are you crazy????????!!!!

You got ripped off big time. That spec is rubbish tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzramz)
    OUCH!!!!! My laptop costs a sixth of that price!!! I could get a good car for that money!!!

Sorry, that is far too much, you can get vaios from as little as £600. You could get three of them. Can you show us a pic or tell us the famous PC that costs £1800?

ReputationRep:
    That does look pretty nice, alot like a macbook, does it have backlit keys?

I like the green light on it.

Can you post the specs aswell please, i think i missed them

Or point me in the right direction.

ReputationRep:
    Geez!! my bmw came for £2100 ..

ReputationRep:
    tbh id never buy a very expensive piece of technology unless i had spare money flying about.

The thing is you buy a laptop for £600 and in a years time you can get a laptop with specs twice as good for the same price

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not, Mr Gates.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.