Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    As long as you're not planning to replace it any time soon, the specs are good, and it's never broken down... then I'd say no, it's not too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniper-Squeak)
    I brought my laptop (VAIO) 2 years ago for a whopping £1800 which was more than my sisters and brothers cars combined...

Now I look back, and think I could have been a little more wiser, but then I think again and say to myself "it was the past and my laptops stll kickin' so it was worth it..."

Am I just convincing myself or was it a mistake spending that much?

You're just trying to convince yourself, as it was a huge mistake, unfortunately. It's very pretty and all, but so grossly expensive. Big price tag doesn't necessarily equate to good lifespan, so I can't even say that it's been worth the investment on that count, either.

ReputationRep:
    Should have bought a mac, only one manufacturer so they hold their specs alot more than windows (because they dont get upgraded as much).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniper-Squeak)
    I brought my laptop (VAIO) 2 years ago for a whopping £1800 which was more than my sisters and brothers cars combined...

Now I look back, and think I could have been a little more wiser, but then I think again and say to myself "it was the past and my laptops stll kickin' so it was worth it..."

Am I just convincing myself or was it a mistake spending that much?

You cant go back on the past, just don't do that again

800 is enough to get what you want from it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't pay over 600 for a laptop, maybe up to 1000 if I was given 1000 to spend on a laptop though. Do they even make laptops that worth that much?

ReputationRep:
    i would only spend that much on a super high end desktop, because the components are wayyy more customisable, so they tend to be slightly more futureproof. if i was to get a laptop it would only be for the purpose of being portable so i wouldnt need to be that powerful, so NO, i would NOT spend £1800 on a laptop...would be willing to spend £800ish on laptop at the max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeL230)
    Should have bought a mac, only one manufacturer so they hold their specs alot more than windows (because they dont get upgraded as much).
    :rofl:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Two years and still kicking? For that price you could have bought a new £300 laptop every 4 months, or a new £600 laptop every 8 months (and a £600 laptop today is probably about as good as a £1800 laptop two years ago)... so yes, you're very much kidding yourself.

ReputationRep:
    That's just too much for a laptop depending on how rich your parents are lol. I got mine or £500 about 1 year ago and I absolutely love it! Also if you were going to spend that much on a laptop I would be expecting you to be a hardcore gamer because if you're going to just use it for surfing the web and doing your work you might as well spend like £300.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    I wouldn't pay over 600 for a laptop, maybe up to 1000 if I was given 1000 to spend on a laptop though. Do they even make laptops that worth that much?

:yes: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...ir?mco=MTE3MTA

ReputationRep:
    Yes, £1,800 is too much for a laptop. I'd only ever spend that amount on a desktop.

You can try and convince yourself that it's lightweight and has a long battery life if you like, but the fact of the matter is that laptops that cost a third of that price can do all the same things as yours. They may not have a fingerprint scanner, of course, but useless peripherals are....well....useless!

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious?! I paid less than 300 for mine a year ago and that was still too much money for me! I don't have a lot of money though.. 1,800 sounds a ridiculous amount to me but could be a reasonable price to another.

ReputationRep:
    And that one doesnt even have a cd drive!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    "Worth" in "worth that much" was even bolded in the post you quoted :p: Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    I could get you one worth that much, but i cant be bothered to get a spec maker hehe

But people could consider an air worth it after all.

It saves space, thats why instead of an ipod and a mobile phone someone would buy an iphone, it just saves space.

The specs are low on the air though, a pro for £1000 would be worth it.

2.23Ghz processor, 4gb ram, 250gb hdd, iWork, that comes to £1000 (with education discount)

Nb, i dont even have a macbook, im just fed up of windows (making the switch when i go to uni)

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot of money yes.

When new my laptop was £2099. (Toshiba Qosmio G40-108) It's a lot of money, but still 2 years after buying it's still top of the range (400GB Hard Disk, Core Duo processer 2.6GHz, 2megapixel camera) and working perfectly after excessive use pretty much for the past 700 days! All I've done is upgraded the 2GB RAM to 4GB which cost about £30.

It's worth it if you use the computer a lot and need the processing power for Image editing programs and other resource heavy programs.. And considering I can probably get another 2 years out of this computer before it starts to become 'old' by technological standards.

ReputationRep:
    Most laptops over £1000 are desktop replacements, so they're pretty pointless anyway, unless you want a dead leg after half an hour of using it.

ReputationRep:
    If it has a good spec, you can afford it and you use it a lot then no. However if you think you could have got something better for the price then possibly yes, you did spend too much. However this is all in the past and you can't really change your mind now. The Sony Vaio laptops are proving pretty popular though, so you probably made a good choice

ReputationRep:
    Yes far too much, for portability get a mid range laptop or netbook.

For normal use and gaming you can get a beast of a desktop for under £1000 that would out perform the high end laptop anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Why people spend any more than £600 on a laptop is beyond me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.