Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeL230)
    Should have bought a mac, only one manufacturer so they hold their specs alot more than windows (because they dont get upgraded as much).
    To quote Roy from The IT Crowd:

Sorry, are you from the past?

ReputationRep:
    And that one doesnt even have a cd drive!
    It does have a CD drive... (if ur referring to the pik lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    Yes, £1,800 is too much for a laptop. I'd only ever spend that amount on a desktop.

You can try and convince yourself that it's lightweight and has a long battery life if you like, but the fact of the matter is that laptops that cost a third of that price can do all the same things as yours. They may not have a fingerprint scanner, of course, but useless peripherals are....well....useless!
    For the time, it was the best laptop... I did my research properly before I brought it. Of course I didn't just wanna go and spend £1800 blindly lol. Its stll great even today, whenever I take it out sumwhere or to school, it turns heads :woo:

At the time it was the lightest and had the longest battery life...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the spec and how long it lasted you. My last vaio was £1200 and that was expensive, but only lasted 2 years (mobo went) so therefore, don't think that's very good.

Current Vaio has so far lasted a year, but was only £800, better price - much better specification. I think £1800 is a bit much... but as i say, depends on the spec and whether it was worth it - what model series was it?

ReputationRep:
    Should have bought a mac, only one manufacturer so they hold their specs alot more than windows (because they dont get upgraded as much).
    Sorry, what?

ReputationRep:
    I meant hold their value

ReputationRep:
    They really don't. Macs go from being worth a fortune to being worth nothing pretty much on a year on year basis, because they get replaced by new ones and everyone just dumps the old tech and buys the new. Look for a few year old macbook on eBay - one before the aluminium body - it's not going to be £600. Not a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omicronlyrae)
    They really don't. Macs go from being worth a fortune to being worth nothing pretty much on a year on year basis, because they get replaced by new ones and everyone just dumps the old tech and buys the new. Look for a few year old macbook on eBay - one before the aluminium body - it's not going to be £600. Not a chance.
    Macs tend to hold their value a lot better than most other computers, even after new models are released. Just had a quick look on eBay, and there are year-old macbooks going for £450-£550....

ReputationRep:
    No, not really. Depends how much money you have, what you want, what you need...

It's all relative. If you've only got £2,000 in your bank account, then no, don't buy one, you'd be a total fool.

ReputationRep:
    Macs tend to hold their value a lot better than most other computers, even after new models are released. Just had a quick look on eBay, and there are year-old macbooks going for £450-£550....
    Aluminium body ones? Or white/black ones? I've not seen any pre-alu macbooks for that much. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omicronlyrae)
    Aluminium body ones? Or white/black ones? I've not seen any pre-alu macbooks for that much. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong places.
    Black/White ones. The aluminium ones are going for £600+, but the old ones are still going for £500 or more.

ReputationRep:
    Ehhh, depends on how much you want to spend, how much you have, how often you'll use it and what you want it for. You can easily justify a £2000 laptop if you require it for everyday use etc.

ReputationRep:
    The black ones are sweet, gutted they discontinued

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniper-Squeak)
    I would buy a flashy nice looking sony RT series for that price would look fab in my room!!!

ReputationRep:
    Black/White ones. The aluminium ones are going for £600+, but the old ones are still going for £500 or more.
    Apparently I was looking in the wrong place, in which case I do apologise. Apparently macbooks do indeed hold value rather well.

ReputationRep:
    As I made clear with my use of bold formatting, worth 1000 it is not.

ReputationRep:
    it still baffles me why people buy laptops and then keep them in the same place....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsoh?)
    I would not buy a laptop for that amount.

I might build a tower etc for myself that was incredibly powerful which may total £1800 but not on a laptop which would be obsolete within 2/3 years and no way to update it.
    TBH - I'd just save the £1800, and buy the computer wanted in a few years time when it is as cheap as chips.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.