Turn on thread page Beta

is £1800 too much for a Laptop? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeL230)
    Should have bought a mac, only one manufacturer so they hold their specs alot more than windows (because they dont get upgraded as much).
    To quote Roy from The IT Crowd:

Sorry, are you from the past?

ReputationRep:
    And that one doesnt even have a cd drive!
    It does have a CD drive... (if ur referring to the pik lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    Yes, £1,800 is too much for a laptop. I'd only ever spend that amount on a desktop.

You can try and convince yourself that it's lightweight and has a long battery life if you like, but the fact of the matter is that laptops that cost a third of that price can do all the same things as yours. They may not have a fingerprint scanner, of course, but useless peripherals are....well....useless!
    For the time, it was the best laptop... I did my research properly before I brought it. Of course I didn't just wanna go and spend £1800 blindly lol. Its stll great even today, whenever I take it out sumwhere or to school, it turns heads :woo:

At the time it was the lightest and had the longest battery life...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the spec and how long it lasted you. My last vaio was £1200 and that was expensive, but only lasted 2 years (mobo went) so therefore, don't think that's very good.

Current Vaio has so far lasted a year, but was only £800, better price - much better specification. I think £1800 is a bit much... but as i say, depends on the spec and whether it was worth it - what model series was it?

ReputationRep:
    Should have bought a mac, only one manufacturer so they hold their specs alot more than windows (because they dont get upgraded as much).
    Sorry, what?

ReputationRep:
    I meant hold their value

ReputationRep:
    They really don't. Macs go from being worth a fortune to being worth nothing pretty much on a year on year basis, because they get replaced by new ones and everyone just dumps the old tech and buys the new. Look for a few year old macbook on eBay - one before the aluminium body - it's not going to be £600. Not a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omicronlyrae)
    They really don't. Macs go from being worth a fortune to being worth nothing pretty much on a year on year basis, because they get replaced by new ones and everyone just dumps the old tech and buys the new. Look for a few year old macbook on eBay - one before the aluminium body - it's not going to be £600. Not a chance.
    Macs tend to hold their value a lot better than most other computers, even after new models are released. Just had a quick look on eBay, and there are year-old macbooks going for £450-£550....

ReputationRep:
    No, not really. Depends how much money you have, what you want, what you need...

It's all relative. If you've only got £2,000 in your bank account, then no, don't buy one, you'd be a total fool.

ReputationRep:
    Macs tend to hold their value a lot better than most other computers, even after new models are released. Just had a quick look on eBay, and there are year-old macbooks going for £450-£550....
    Aluminium body ones? Or white/black ones? I've not seen any pre-alu macbooks for that much. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omicronlyrae)
    Aluminium body ones? Or white/black ones? I've not seen any pre-alu macbooks for that much. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong places.
    Black/White ones. The aluminium ones are going for £600+, but the old ones are still going for £500 or more.

ReputationRep:
    Ehhh, depends on how much you want to spend, how much you have, how often you'll use it and what you want it for. You can easily justify a £2000 laptop if you require it for everyday use etc.

ReputationRep:
    The black ones are sweet, gutted they discontinued

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniper-Squeak)
    I would buy a flashy nice looking sony RT series for that price would look fab in my room!!!

ReputationRep:
    Black/White ones. The aluminium ones are going for £600+, but the old ones are still going for £500 or more.
    Apparently I was looking in the wrong place, in which case I do apologise. Apparently macbooks do indeed hold value rather well.

ReputationRep:
    As I made clear with my use of bold formatting, worth 1000 it is not.

ReputationRep:
    it still baffles me why people buy laptops and then keep them in the same place....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsoh?)
    I would not buy a laptop for that amount.

I might build a tower etc for myself that was incredibly powerful which may total £1800 but not on a laptop which would be obsolete within 2/3 years and no way to update it.
    TBH - I'd just save the £1800, and buy the computer wanted in a few years time when it is as cheap as chips.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.