Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If there was a world war 3, how many casualties would there be? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Considering how much war has changed from WW1 to modern day combat, i was wondering how many casualties there would be if there was a WW3.

WW1

Total troops dead from all countries in WW1: 8,556,315
    Total civilian casualties: roughly 7,943,685

WW2 (excluding holocaust as they weren't a direct result of war)

Total deaths of WW2 - 50-70 million (not sure how many were civilians and soldiers)

I may have these figures wrong, correct me if i am indeed wrong, as there are all sorts of numbers floating around online and in reality it's pretty difficult to count all the dead from such a big war anyway.

So... if there was a WW3, what effect would technology, changes in methods of war etc etc have on casualty figures

ReputationRep:
    If nukes are involved. Ultimately, billions, if not, in the hundreds of millions if cities are being bombed etc.

But I doubt this would happen.

ReputationRep:
    About four.

ReputationRep:
    We would all die within 4 hours.

ReputationRep:
    billions and i'd be causing them all GO MY EVIL ROBOT MINIONS GO!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    If nukes are involved. Ultimately, billions, if not, in the hundreds of millions if cities are being bombed etc.

But I doubt this would happen.
    Dude , your sig is messed up. You didn't do the [/centre] part right. Just though I'd point that out .

I think technology would allow people to produce much more lethal weapons , but at the same time produce much more protection aswell , so it's a hard one !

ReputationRep:
    6.5 bn ... ish

ReputationRep:
    i'd say a world war three would end the world, too many countries have too many nukes.

ReputationRep:
    At least one hundred million will die as a result of massive economic collapse and starvation, especially in poor nations.
    Possibly 500 million will be killed in total. If nukes are involved even in a limited capacity, the death toll could be as high as half the Earth's population.

Unfortunately there are so many variables I can't answer it like this. Would need a thorough analysis.

ReputationRep:
    Over 9000?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we would all be dead. Before WWII one of the main reasons for the cabinet's hesitancy to come to Czechoslovakia's aid was because of the fears that, within hours of the declaration, the entire population of London would be poisoned. Even if the capabilities are there for our enemies to wipe out the human race, it wouldn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    A few billion, perhaps the entire population.
    Get me, we all know what North Korea's like..:eek:

Wanna share my bunker? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I somewhat doubt that a Third World War will ever come about, not with MAD and all. Everyone would be too scared to bring themselves into a large scale war, fearing for the safety of their own country.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.