Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'09 Uni applicants: Can you cook/Are you learning? Watch

• View Poll Results: Can you cook/Are you learning to?
    Yes, I can cook well.
    51.22%
    I can cook simple food, and I'm trying to learn more.
    39.02%
    No, and I don't want to.
    9.76%

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people who are going (self-catered) to Uni this year, and have no intention of learning to cook before hand. Can you cook or are you learning to cook before you go? If not ... how are you planning to feed yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Learning to cook is probably more important than any of the Law or Politics I've learned at Uni.

I could cook a little before I went...really simple things like Bolognese, Curries etc. using sauce out of a jar, but you really appreciate a decent meal. Quite often, I'll just stick some frozen crap in the oven for half hour, but for the same amount of time and for a lot less money you can cook up something much more filling, and much tastier.

Get your parents to give you a few tips before you go.

ReputationRep:
    at the moment all I can do is boil tinned hot dogs and make fried eggs :rolleyes: .
    Im trying to learn how to prepare other foods but I honestly dont expect Ill be eating much else other than tinned/packaged easy food stuffs

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody recommend good, basic cookery books ?
    I am trying to learn but the mother is beginning to despair!!

ReputationRep:
    I can do a few meals but my mum is getting me to cook tea 3 or 4 days out of 7 and is leaving me recipes to follow.

It is working so I won't have to rely on eating cake, super noodles and various toast dishes for the rest of my life xD

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of cook books out there with stuff like 'one pot meals' and things you can make in five minutes, normally pretty cheap too. Bonus!

ReputationRep:
    I cook every weekend, it doesn't take too long to be alright at it. I'm going catered though, can't be bothered with shopping/cooking/clearing away in first year.

ReputationRep:
    I can't cook a lot, I've forgotten how to do most of the things I made at school. My mum has made it her mission to teach me before I leave home. She's decided we're having a week where I buy and make/cook all my own food, so that should be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I can cook quite well and already have a recipe book that I've tried some things out of. I also use waitrose online for their recipes. I've always wanted to be self catered for the independence but whether I can be bothered to cook anything after the first few weeks will be another matter...

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I can do salad, I can follow instructions on the back of frozen fish/ pizza/ chips boxes, I can boil veg, I can make sandwiches, I can cook soup, I can boil up some pasta and stick on some sauce/ bolognaise, the internet is full of recipies of anything I could want to make- Never had a real cooking lesson in my life but I'm pretty sure I can have a good diet on the basics that are just common sense really :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    i cant cook proper food. i can make cereal and toast etc
    aha next year should be fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeforever)
    I can cook quite well and already have a recipe book that I've tried some things out of. I also use waitrose online for their recipes. I've always wanted to be self catered for the independence but whether I can be bothered to cook anything after the first few weeks will be another matter...
    just noticed your going nottingham - me too. Want to teach me how to cook :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I can cook. I don't use recipes anymore, and am happy making 5 course meals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gs-rai)
    just noticed your going nottingham - me too. Want to teach me how to cook :p:
    lol, which halls are you in? and what course are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edessa)
    Can anybody recommend good, basic cookery books ?
    I am trying to learn but the mother is beginning to despair!!
    Do you have a shop called "The Works" near you? they sell Student Cook Books, so do places like WHSmiths. I got a great one in a tiny book shop near me, and one from The Works. They show you different cooking times for a range of foods, a list of equipment, how to make basic stuff e.g: boil egg, make a white sauce etc and then they explain loads of easy recipes. The best ones even label the cheapest ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Cook...8966941&sr=8-1

Not implying anything with that. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can follow any recipes, why wouldnt anyone be able to follow a recipe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeforever)
    lol, which halls are you in? and what course are you studying?
    im going to be staying in raleigh park stiletoe court and doing finance accounting and management, your self?

you didnt answer my question about cooking :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    I know a lot of people who are going (self-catered) to Uni this year, and have no intention of learning to cook before hand. Can you cook or are you learning to cook before you go? If not ... how are you planning to feed yourself?

Yeah I can cook, 'cept I'm not moving into Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gs-rai)
    im going to be staying in raleigh park stiletoe court and doing finance accounting and management, your self?

you didnt answer my question about cooking :p:
    I was seeing if you were anywhere near me first :p:
    I'm in Broadgate Park doing Theology. If I see you around I see no reason why I couldn't help you a bit

However, being in different halls and doing different courses could make this more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    If by 'cook' do you mean taking out flour, eggs and butter and start rolling the pastry for the pie you're about to make? And washing and cutting fresh vegetables so you can boil them to go next to your roast chicken you've had cooking in the oven?

Stuff from frozen is quicker, I can cook, it's not that hard to use a stove. It's just not worth the effort.

I've always found that cook books/shows place too much emphasis on the apperance of the meal. I'm not going to spend an extra five minutes garnishing a bowl of soup.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.