Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'09 Uni applicants: Can you cook/Are you learning? watch

• View Poll Results: Can you cook/Are you learning to?
    Yes, I can cook well.
    51.22%
    I can cook simple food, and I'm trying to learn more.
    39.02%
    No, and I don't want to.
    9.76%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edessa)
    Can anybody recommend good, basic cookery books ?
    I am trying to learn but the mother is beginning to despair!!
    http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=5422822

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeforever)
    I was seeing if you were anywhere near me first :p:
    I'm in Broadgate Park doing Theology. If I see you around I see no reason why I couldn't help you a bit

However, being in different halls and doing different courses could make this more difficult.

ahh (N) thats pretty much on the opposit side! i was going to go for bgp but all the new rooms were taken and its like a 20minute bus ride to the jubilee campus! ah cant wait to get there!

ReputationRep:
    I can cook quite a variety of things, but am trying to learn more

ReputationRep:
    i can cook
    i bought a cookbook off amazon called nosh 4 students got it today its got some good recipes in there. worth the 3 quid it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gs-rai)
    i can make cereal
    That sounds like hard work ;-) I thought you just poured it out of the box?

I can bake rather than cook - so I think all I will live on is chocolate cake, jam sponge, brownies and cup cakes! I may be rather obese by the end of my first year!

I am intending to learn to cook before I go though.

And learn how to use a washing machine etc

According to my mum you can buy a book with really simple stuff in it for absolutely total beginners - like how to boil an egg.

ReputationRep:
    I'm horrendously bad at even food shopping for myself, let alone cook.
    I walk into a supermarket in the hope of buying something for a meal & walk out with The Telegraph & a can of coke.
    I tend to live off sandwiches at home because I'm too lazy to cook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *R*a*c*h*)

I can bake rather than cook - so I think all I will live on is chocolate cake, jam sponge, brownies and cup cakes! I may be rather obese by the end of my first year!

According to my mum you can buy a book with really simple stuff in it for absolutely total beginners - like how to boil an egg.

you're forgetting the hardest part - pouring the milk :confused: loll!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *R*a*c*h*)

York is your firm? You can bake for everyone, then!
    What college are you going to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger.)
    York is your firm? You can bake for everyone, then!
    What college are you going to apply to?
    Not sure yet - tossing up between James (nicest rooms), Vanbrugh (where department is based) + Derwent (for the rumoured best college spirit).

I like baking cakes though.... so whoever lives near me will need a sweet tooth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    Do you have a shop called "The Works" near you? they sell Student Cook Books, so do places like WHSmiths. I got a great one in a tiny book shop near me, and one from The Works. They show you different cooking times for a range of foods, a list of equipment, how to make basic stuff e.g: boil egg, make a white sauce etc and then they explain loads of easy recipes. The best ones even label the cheapest ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Cook...8966941&sr=8-1

Not implying anything with that. :p:
    Thanks I will have a look at that!!

I can make a few things, like stir fry chicken in black bean sauce and Cheesy pasta bake, but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    yep, not bad either.
    I can make things from scratch but I don't think i'll be doing much of that at uni :p:

ReputationRep:
    i cannot cook at all. i dont know what a "grill" is and the most advanced thing i can make on my own is a probably beans on toast. i think im in trouble. lots of pot noodles for me i think.

(Original post by butthead7)
    i cannot cook at all. i dont know what a "grill" is and the most advanced thing i can make on my own is a probably beans on toast. i think im in trouble. lots of pot noodles for me i think.
    Laugh out loud.

ReputationRep:
    I've been cooking my own meals for ages now since I'm vegetarian and my mum refuses to cook for me :P
    Made a lentil shepherd's pie before, was really nice! I also make a better pizza from scratch than the majority of takeaways round me.

ReputationRep:
    I know enough to get by

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not going to be cooking 3 course meals, but I know the basics. (Doing H.E for a year was good)
    There's really nothing to it unless you intend to make everything from scratch.....which I wont.
    Im pretty handy with the frying pan.

I can cook spaghetti bolognese, fat-free chicken curry, and coq au vin (I'm hoping to learn more for uni next year).

No "Freshman's 15" for me!!

ReputationRep:
    i can cook a few things and follow recipes but the prep and stuff takes so long that i dont think ill be arsed, just to make something for myself

ReputationRep:
    It really annoys me how people who are 18 and older cannot cook especially really simple things like pasta or potatoes etc.

My step-sister is now 17 and can hardly cook toast!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.