Turn on thread page Beta

'09 Uni applicants: Can you cook/Are you learning? watch

• View Poll Results: Can you cook/Are you learning to?
    Yes, I can cook well.
    51.22%
    I can cook simple food, and I'm trying to learn more.
    39.02%
    No, and I don't want to.
    9.76%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edessa)
    Can anybody recommend good, basic cookery books ?
    I am trying to learn but the mother is beginning to despair!!
    http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=5422822

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeforever)
    I was seeing if you were anywhere near me first :p:
    I'm in Broadgate Park doing Theology. If I see you around I see no reason why I couldn't help you a bit

However, being in different halls and doing different courses could make this more difficult.

ahh (N) thats pretty much on the opposit side! i was going to go for bgp but all the new rooms were taken and its like a 20minute bus ride to the jubilee campus! ah cant wait to get there!

ReputationRep:
    I can cook quite a variety of things, but am trying to learn more

ReputationRep:
    i can cook
    i bought a cookbook off amazon called nosh 4 students got it today its got some good recipes in there. worth the 3 quid it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gs-rai)
    i can make cereal
    That sounds like hard work ;-) I thought you just poured it out of the box?

I can bake rather than cook - so I think all I will live on is chocolate cake, jam sponge, brownies and cup cakes! I may be rather obese by the end of my first year!

I am intending to learn to cook before I go though.

And learn how to use a washing machine etc

According to my mum you can buy a book with really simple stuff in it for absolutely total beginners - like how to boil an egg.

ReputationRep:
    I'm horrendously bad at even food shopping for myself, let alone cook.
    I walk into a supermarket in the hope of buying something for a meal & walk out with The Telegraph & a can of coke.
    I tend to live off sandwiches at home because I'm too lazy to cook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *R*a*c*h*)

I can bake rather than cook - so I think all I will live on is chocolate cake, jam sponge, brownies and cup cakes! I may be rather obese by the end of my first year!

According to my mum you can buy a book with really simple stuff in it for absolutely total beginners - like how to boil an egg.

you're forgetting the hardest part - pouring the milk :confused: loll!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *R*a*c*h*)

York is your firm? You can bake for everyone, then!
    What college are you going to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger.)
    York is your firm? You can bake for everyone, then!
    What college are you going to apply to?
    Not sure yet - tossing up between James (nicest rooms), Vanbrugh (where department is based) + Derwent (for the rumoured best college spirit).

I like baking cakes though.... so whoever lives near me will need a sweet tooth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    Do you have a shop called "The Works" near you? they sell Student Cook Books, so do places like WHSmiths. I got a great one in a tiny book shop near me, and one from The Works. They show you different cooking times for a range of foods, a list of equipment, how to make basic stuff e.g: boil egg, make a white sauce etc and then they explain loads of easy recipes. The best ones even label the cheapest ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Cook...8966941&sr=8-1

Not implying anything with that. :p:
    Thanks I will have a look at that!!

I can make a few things, like stir fry chicken in black bean sauce and Cheesy pasta bake, but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    yep, not bad either.
    I can make things from scratch but I don't think i'll be doing much of that at uni :p:

ReputationRep:
    i cannot cook at all. i dont know what a "grill" is and the most advanced thing i can make on my own is a probably beans on toast. i think im in trouble. lots of pot noodles for me i think.

(Original post by butthead7)
    i cannot cook at all. i dont know what a "grill" is and the most advanced thing i can make on my own is a probably beans on toast. i think im in trouble. lots of pot noodles for me i think.
    Laugh out loud.

ReputationRep:
    I've been cooking my own meals for ages now since I'm vegetarian and my mum refuses to cook for me :P
    Made a lentil shepherd's pie before, was really nice! I also make a better pizza from scratch than the majority of takeaways round me.

ReputationRep:
    I know enough to get by

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not going to be cooking 3 course meals, but I know the basics. (Doing H.E for a year was good)
    There's really nothing to it unless you intend to make everything from scratch.....which I wont.
    Im pretty handy with the frying pan.

I can cook spaghetti bolognese, fat-free chicken curry, and coq au vin (I'm hoping to learn more for uni next year).

No "Freshman's 15" for me!!

ReputationRep:
    i can cook a few things and follow recipes but the prep and stuff takes so long that i dont think ill be arsed, just to make something for myself

ReputationRep:
    It really annoys me how people who are 18 and older cannot cook especially really simple things like pasta or potatoes etc.

My step-sister is now 17 and can hardly cook toast!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.