Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There are very few first world, supossedly civilized countries which have quite the same problem with feral youth randomly attacking people they don't like the look of for superficial reasons than the UK. I'm male, fairly skinny and generally wear tight jeans. In many British towns, the fact you are wearing tight jeans as a male is enough provocation for chavs to shout at/try to intimidat you, and occasionally beat you up if there's enough of them (cowards alone, pack mentality).

However, I lived in Spain for a year and found significantly less issue with the underclass feeling the need to attack/cause touble with anyone they feel is different from them. Occasionally, you got youths of the underclass in Spain who would stare at you condecendingly with that cocky smirk, but that is as far as it went.

However, for someone to actually get physically attacked over nothing more than dress was as far as I was aware quite unheard of, and certainly by no means a common occurance.

However, the sad fact in the UK is that it is quite heard of, and quite possible for someone to get beaten up over superficial things.

ReputationRep:
    "I'm male, fairly skinny and generally wear tight jeans. In many British towns, the fact you are wearing tight jeans as a male is enough provocation for chavs to shout at/try to intimidat you, and occasionally beat you up if there's enough of them (cowards alone, pack mentality)."

Surely that is a positive, not a negative?

ReputationRep:
    It's 'a horrible place', not 'an horrible place'.

Secondly, while we do have problems in the UK e.g. the vile behaviour of some young people, referring to the whole country as a 'horrible place' is unfair, in my humble opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Idiots are everywhere and not just in the UK.

I for one love the UK.

ReputationRep:
    HAHA, You think the UK is a horrible place to live in?!..haha, you dont know anything..spend a few years in some South American/African or Asian countries, then see if you think the UK is a horrible place to live in.

And about the beating up thing..no one attacks someone randomly, unless the person is like..totally out of it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    "I'm male, fairly skinny and generally wear tight jeans. In many British towns, the fact you are wearing tight jeans as a male is enough provocation for chavs to shout at/try to intimidat you, and occasionally beat you up if there's enough of them (cowards alone, pack mentality)."

Surely that is a positive, not a negative?
    Explain please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    HAHA, You think the UK is a horrible place to live in?!..haha, you dont know anything..spend a few years in some South American/African or Asian countries, then see if you think the UK is a horrible place to live in.

And about the beating up thing..no one attacks someone randomly, unless the person is like..totally out of it..
    He specifically mentioned that it applied to only first world countries, and south american/african/asian countries are therefore not included.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you live

I'm sure towns are worse than cities.

I live in a deadwood town full where about 60%, my own estimate, are those negative types of people. Infact i've heard it has the highest ratio of teenage pregnancy to population in the UK thrown about, i'm not sure if that statement is true or not though.

Anyway i lived in Nottingham for 3 months and barely ever heard any unsightful characters shouting at anybody or intimidating them in the centre of the city but in my town it's a different story.

ReputationRep:
    In relation to other first world countries, I could not agree more. Hostility and prejudice ftw.

Edit: however, maybe the post above me is more accurate. I live in Devon, after all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    There are very few first world, supossedly civilized countries which have quite the same problem with feral youth randomly attacking people they don't like the look of for superficial reasons than the UK. I'm male, fairly skinny and generally wear tight jeans. In many British towns, the fact you are wearing tight jeans as a male is enough provocation for chavs to shout at/try to intimidat you, and occasionally beat you up if there's enough of them (cowards alone, pack mentality).

However, I lived in Spain for a year and found significantly less issue with the underclass feeling the need to attack/cause touble with anyone they feel is different from them. Occasionally, you got youths of the underclass in Spain who would stare at you condecendingly with that cocky smirk, but that is as far as it went.

However, for someone to actually get physically attacked over nothing more than dress was as far as I was aware quite unheard of, and certainly by no means a common occurance.

However, the sad fact in the UK is that it is quite heard of, and quite possible for someone to get beaten up over superficial things.

I think I agree. In rough neighbourhoods in other 1st world countries, things will be terrible as they are here, but here even in respectable, nice places (I live in Henley) there is quite an element of violent anti-social behaviour.

I'm guessing that people who disagree have probably never lived abroad/ been abroad for a long period of time.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the OP.

Been saying it for years, but theres really nothing you can do about it, well except move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)

I never included African nations in my post, I was refering to first world nations. I know full well many poorer nations have far more significant issues than than idiots shouting, trying to itimidate people. However, as far as this issue goes in the first world, in my experience the issue is most significant in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeteDoherty)
    Where do you live

I'm sure towns are worse than cities.

I live in a deadwood town full where about 60%, my own estimate, are those negative type of people. Infact i've heard it has the highest ratio of teenage pregnancy to population in the UK thrown about, i'm not sure if that statement is true or not though.

Anyway i lived in Nottingham for 3 months and barely ever heard any unsightful characters shouting at anybody or intimidating them in the centre of the city.

This is 100% true.

I've lived in Nottingham for 4 years, including some of the supposed "no-go areas" (Radford, St Annes) and I've never once felt threatened or intimidated by anyone. If anything, there is a good community vibe around the place.

On the other hand whenever I go back to the medium sized market town I grew up in, a group of 30 year old semi-retarded farmhands will be eyeballing me within minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    what a fantastic attribute for a country
    I don't quite understand what you're saying, explain it to me.

ReputationRep:
    first world nations.
    Did you actually go to school in the 1950s? You'll be complaining about the "coloureds" next.

ReputationRep:
    See ya! :hello:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    The fact that pussy boys are beaten up.
    Pussy boys... Does this mean homosexual boys? Homophobe? Or just an idiot?

ReputationRep:
    Well, move to spain cry baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha grammar correction FAIL

oh dear.
    What?

ReputationRep:
    I never included African nations in my post, I was refering to first world nations. I know full well many poorer nations have far more significant issues than than idiots shouting, trying to itimidate people. However, as far as this issue goes in the first world, in my experience the issue is most significant in the UK.
    Mhm...I think there are other significant issues in the UK. But I see your point. There are always people like this around the "first"world. Just live with it. If you was in power, would you do anything to stop it?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.