Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    While I do believe that there are certain people in our youthful society that act like arrogant thugs, not all of us are like that so to name the UK a horrible place just because some people choose to like like primitave cavemen is a horrible generalisation. I do understand it's increasingly becoming a problem but I don't think it's as wide-spread as the media would have us believe.

Don't get me wrong, I can see where you're coming from but you shouldn't generalise a whole population because of how these people act. Also, I think America is far, far worse than the UK. While the UK has it's fair share of gang violence and stuff like that, it really pales in comparison to some of the gang wars and shootings you'll find in the states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaulRevere)
    you use "an" if the next letter is vowel douchebag. (a, e, i, o or u)

would you say "an house"?
    A,E,I,O,U and H

"an house" is correct as is "an hotel", "an horrible" etc.

Jesus H, this is basic English grammar!

(Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    although it already is correct
    Exactly; an horrible is how it should be spelt.

ReputationRep:
    the correct version is "an horrible" as is "an historical" etc.
    "a h..." is probably more common, but grammatically incorrect.

So basically you failed so badly its unbelievable.
    I failed? How exactly? I think you should learn to read...

Anyway, 'a horrible' is more common from what I can see. And from reading the OP's post, I doubt very much that he is so knowledgeable in grammar to be able to argue his post was correct. Even a quick glance at dictionaries - they use 'a horrible' when giving examples of how the word can be used.

Unless you are very cockney and don't pronounce your 'h's, can you explain to me why 'a horrible' is grammatically incorrect? I would like to know...

ReputationRep:
    So wait..

you wear skinny jeans to show of your ripe little purt butt

and then complain when you attract attention from guys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdVein)
    Maybe you should stop wearing gay jeans
    Hahaha " gay jeans "
    looove itttt :woo:

ReputationRep:
    the correct version is "an horrible" as is "an historical" etc.
    "a h..." is probably more common, but grammatically incorrect.

So basically you failed so badly its unbelievable.
    The correct version is not "an horrible" because the "h" is voiced in "horrible". Words beginning with "h" only take "an" before them when the "h" is unvoiced, like in "hour".

(Original post by Morlock)
    A,E,I,O,U and H

Jesus H, this is basic English grammar!
    If the "h" is silent. Guð minn goður, learn your rules correctly, don't just blanket apply them!

ReputationRep:
    A,E,I,O,U and H

You're right, but this still never made any sense to me; surely it only applies if you're going to drop your 'h's in speech.

ReputationRep:
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha grammar correction FAIL
    How so? It's suppose to be 'a horrible place', not 'an horrible place'. It doesn't even sound right.

(Original post by Seven Three)
    I tihnk you are a idiot because you are prejudice against people who don't hold your opinions.
    He's not prejudiced against people with opposing views; his merely against people who advocate violence against others for dressing in a certain manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaulRevere)
    you use "an" if the next letter is vowel douchebag. (a, e, i, o or u)

would you say "an house"?
    lol you are ubelievably stupid. The point is not, as you think, which is most common. It is which is grammatically correct.

It originates from french, where the h is silent. However an h... is still correct, although uneducated buffoons such as you wouldn't know that.

ReputationRep:
    A,E,I,O,U and H

Jesus, this is basic English grammar.
    For H, both is acceptable but it usually depends on the word. But hotel is definately just A, microsoft word says so :yes: but for historical, both is acceptable usually. And yes, this is basic grammar, but you can't criticize anyone else for not knowing it when you don't yourself...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    You're right, but this still never made any sense to me; surely it only applies if you're going to drop your 'h's in speech.
    I think it originates from french, as many of these words come from french where the h is silent.
    (may be wrong)

ReputationRep:
    it's waaaaaaay worse for an ethnic minority!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Why not refer to nasty gangs as an "underclass"?

They behave like it and are poor, there's no reason they shouldn't be branded as such. No wonder there's so much class hate sometimes, because chav tw*ts have no self-respect, and it shows in the way they act and dress.

What about people who dress like 'chavs'? Dress sense has 0 to do with it I think. Nasty gangs can definately be ANYONE really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I failed? How exactly? I think you should learn to read...

Anyway, 'a horrible' is more common from what I can see. And from reading the OP's post, I doubt very much that he is so knowledgeable in grammar to be able to argue his post was correct. Even a quick glance at dictionaries - they use 'a horrible' when giving examples of how the word can be used.

Unless you are very cockney and don't pronounce you 'h's, can you explain to me why 'a horrible' is gramatically incorrect? I would like to know...
    You are correct

A well known grammar rule says that we should use an before vowel sounds; for example, an accident, an item, an hour. We use a otherwise: a book, a hotel, a university.

Notice that we say an hour, not a hour. The choice of a or an is based upon the sound of the word, not the spelling. Hour sounds like it starts with a vowel sound (ow); hence, we use an.

Following this rule, we would say a historic, not an historic because (for most speakers) historic doesn't start with a vowel sound.

Words of three or more syllables that start with h are treated differently by some speakers, though. (This may be because of the tendency of some regional accents to drop initial Hs.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    you go around calling people "the underclass" and you wonder why you get beaten up?

The probelm with this country is all the idiots who demonise young kids for simply standing around and occasionally doing something we would all secretly like to do, like intimidating a stuck up tw*t in tight jeans.

This.

You sound like a ponce who is asking for it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    The correct version is not "an horrible" because the "h" is voiced in "horrible". Words beginning with "h" only take "an" before them when the "h" is unvoiced, like in "hour".

If the "h" is silent. Guð minn goður, learn your rules correctly, don't just blanket apply them!
    thats incorrect. "an historical" for example, is correct.
    Admittedly, your reasoning makes a hell of a lot of common sense, and is how most people talk (as do I). However, it is grammatically incorrect. I was merely pointing that out to one of the grammar nazis.

ReputationRep:
    •a + singular noun beginning with a consonant: a boy; a car; a bike; a zoo; a dog
    •an + singular noun beginning with a vowel: an elephant; an egg; an apple; an idiot; an orphan
    •a + singular noun beginning with a consonant sound: a user (sounds like 'yoo-zer,' i.e. begins with a consonant 'y' sound, so 'a' is used); a university; a unicycle
    •In some cases where "h" is pronounced, such as "historical,"

Ahaa...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newsweek)
    He's not prejudiced against people with opposing views; his merely against people who adovcate violence against others for dressing in a certain manner.
    Why do you try to misrepresent me? I didn't say he was "predjudiced against people with opposing views" (which he quite clearly is), but that he is prejudiced against people with different opinions (which he clearly is). And he also isn't 'against others...' because otherwise he would attack their views, he is baselessly prejudiced against people who have different opinions because he thinks they are 'idiots', but he has no proof to show this he mearly thinks it because of his prejudice.

ReputationRep:
    In accordance with your spelling it seems the only reason it is a horrible place is because they don't teach people how to write correctly.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.