Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KinkyBear)
    SE london is particularly horrible!!!
    What about E, NE, N, NW, W, SW and S London? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrPhil)
    I don't think the UK is a/an horrible place, but it's not wonderful either. It's got crap weather, stupid people, irritating youth (and I'm not just talking about the working-class types also) and most the towns are lacking in anything really interesting. But on the other hand its also got some great people, good quality of life, many interesting places and cricket. And I guess I'm proud to be British without making out the UK is some kind of paradise.
    But this is the same with all countries; there are both good and bad. And the weather is uncontrollable.

I do not think the UK is a horrible place. I think the UK, certainly London, is one of the most tolerable places in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Quite frankly, we shouldn't have to quote sources in a debate on English grammar. These things should be taught properly and in depth to us at school.
    A very good (yet sad) point, as was demonstrated by the fact that I learnt more about grammar from studying Italian for six months than I did from English lessons throughout my school life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    "I'm male, fairly skinny and generally wear tight jeans. In many British towns, the fact you are wearing tight jeans as a male is enough provocation for chavs to shout at/try to intimidat you, and occasionally beat you up if there's enough of them (cowards alone, pack mentality)."

Surely that is a positive, not a negative?
    I'm :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Many posters think UK is not a good place but they still vote for the same parties.So it's our fault

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by road)
    Many posters think UK is not a good place but they still vote for the same parties.So it's our fault
    Many posters are not eligible to vote. :rolleyes: And besides, your claim is rather stupid.

ReputationRep:
    My brother was stabbed in the neck in front of me out side a popular club in Brighton, i was knocked out and mugged walking 10mins to my girl friends house in Crawley.

Wrong place at the wrong time... will not matter where you go. ;-) Good luck .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love me)
    is that a trick question of some kind?

My opinions are real, if that's what you meant.

No, not a trick question. Just I don't think there's one sentence in your previous post that I could more emphaticaly disagree with.

Just, the whole thing...
    It boggles the mind the way some people think and live..... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    *emphatically*

Before someone crucifies me
    Typo, my bad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cannyeinstein)
    No, not a trick question. Just I don't think there's one sentence in your previous post that I could more emphaticaly disagree with.

Just, the whole thing...
    It boggles the mind the way some people think and live..... :rolleyes:
    Live and let live.

Just because I don't like poor people, doesn't me I don't respect their right to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)

However, the sad fact in the UK is that it is quite heard of, and quite possible for someone to get beaten up over superficial things.
    I'm meant to live in one of the "rough" areas of London - and I can honestly say I do not feel threatened. And if I do, it's mainly intimidation from people standing in big groups - but they don't do anything.

I for one LOVE the UK.
    One or two bad things and people are quick to say that it's the worst country on earth (or something on a similar level). They forget about the ordinary people in the country - they focus on the "violent youths", who are a minority.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by EskimoJo)
    I failed? How exactly? I think you should learn to read...

Anyway, 'a horrible' is more common from what I can see. And from reading the OP's post, I doubt very much that he is so knowledgeable in grammar to be able to argue his post was correct. Even a quick glance at dictionaries - they use 'a horrible' when giving examples of how the word can be used.

Unless you are very cockney and don't pronounce your 'h's, can you explain to me why 'a horrible' is grammatically incorrect? I would like to know...
    (Original post by Hylean)
    The correct version is not "an horrible" because the "h" is voiced in "horrible". Words beginning with "h" only take "an" before them when the "h" is unvoiced, like in "hour".

If the "h" is silent. Guð minn goður, learn your rules correctly, don't just blanket apply them!
    (Original post by Reaver)
    You are correct

A well known grammar rule says that we should use an before vowel sounds; for example, an accident, an item, an hour. We use a otherwise: a book, a hotel, a university.

Notice that we say an hour, not a hour. The choice of a or an is based upon the sound of the word, not the spelling. Hour sounds like it starts with a vowel sound (ow); hence, we use an.

Following this rule, we would say a historic, not an historic because (for most speakers) historic doesn't start with a vowel sound.

Words of three or more syllables that start with h are treated differently by some speakers, though. (This may be because of the tendency of some regional accents to drop initial Hs.)
    (Original post by You Failed)
    It's not as simple as that. If the emphasis of the word comes towards the middle or the end of a word begining with "H" it's more correct to say "an" for example "An Historical event" where the empahsis of the word is on the "O" after the "T".

However if the emphasis of the word is towards the start, it's better to say "A", like in your example "A House" as the emphasis is towards the start of the word.

To be honest I would say "A horrible place" is more correct than "An horrible place".

If it wasn't for you guys talking sense I think I would have gone mad reading this thread! :shakehand:

ReputationRep:
    1) you wear stupid jeans.
    2) you call them the underclass
    3) there are ***** in every country.

4) be a man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    Spoiler:
    Show

If it wasn't for you guys talking sense I think I would have gone mad reading this thread!
    I'm starting to like you a lot voudreau! :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I'm starting to like you a lot voudreau! :flutter:
    Yeh... it happens :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    However, the sad fact in the UK is that it is quite heard of, and quite possible for someone to get beaten up over superficial things.
    Coming from you :rofl:

Still, yes it is. Though, tight jeans is a complete no-no if you ask me, especially on 'men'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love me)
    Live and let live.

Just because I don't like poor people, doesn't me I don't respect their right to live.
    hahaha
    I never even came close to assuming/suggesting you didn't respect some people's right to live!!
    That would just be insane....

But how can you say, 'I don't like poor people'.
    It's a huge generalisation based on an unfortunate misrepresentation from a minority. It's like me saying 'I don't like Chinese people'. I've never been to China, and have only ever met and interacted with those in Britain....
    (For the record, I like the chinese :yes: )

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you had proper jeans on you'd be able to run away 'farseter'.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, seriously, you have no idea how well off we are in the UK compared to less developed countries (beating up random passers-by-wise) :yep:

Remeber, you always have the option of not attracting attention to yourself by not wearing gay jeans
    :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    im british but ive grown up abroad and after coming back to the uk... i can really say that it is a nice place to live and honestly, being a british citizen is a bit of a blessing. if you dont realise that then you need to.

on the other hand, i think the social culture here is a bit over the top, wild and undisciplined. esp the youth. binge drinking, lack of respect for elders and family, etc etc. they all need a good whipping in my opinion. the crime rate is appalling in the cities, but then its the same as most other major world cities. its been like that for hundreds of years and isnt a recent development.

but it doesnt make the country a worse place to live than most others.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.