Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I love our country. If I could choose I'd still have been born in the UK

I mean sure we have our problems, but so does every country. At least we're not starving, or having our homes ripped apart by war or revolution.

I mean if having a wet summer is the countries top headline today, then I think we're very very very lucky.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah, forgot to add
    spent nearly half my life growing up and living abroad. I've lived in 5 different countries, and England/UK wins. You don't know what you had until you don't have it. We live in an awesome country. Maybe not the best, but its up there in what I've seen....

ReputationRep:
    Also, get out of my country then!

Go live in brilliant spain, or stop ****ging the place off. I hate people who live here, then **** it off, whilst using all the good stuff here.

ReputationRep:
    We get NHS so **** off OP

ReputationRep:
    have to admit, the english debate was far more enthralling than the one about some guy wearing tight jeans then moaning about it.

ReputationRep:
    It always irritates me when people complain about being targeted for looking a certain way, or fitting a certain stereotype, and then go on to describe the source as a "chav", or a member of the "underclass" - a socio-economic group which, I am convinced, exists only in the imaginations of Daily Mail subscribers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    And about the beating up thing..no one attacks someone randomly, unless the person is like..totally out of it..

are you serious? people get beaten up for no reason all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    There are very few first world, supossedly civilized countries which have quite the same problem with feral youth randomly attacking people they don't like the look of for superficial reasons than the UK. I'm male, fairly skinny and generally wear tight jeans. In many British towns, the fact you are wearing tight jeans as a male is enough provocation for chavs to shout at/try to intimidat you, and occasionally beat you up if there's enough of them (cowards alone, pack mentality).

However, I lived in Spain for a year and found significantly less issue with the underclass feeling the need to attack/cause touble with anyone they feel is different from them. Occasionally, you got youths of the underclass in Spain who would stare at you condecendingly with that cocky smirk, but that is as far as it went.

However, for someone to actually get physically attacked over nothing more than dress was as far as I was aware quite unheard of, and certainly by no means a common occurance.

However, the sad fact in the UK is that it is quite heard of, and quite possible for someone to get beaten up over superficial things.
    i would hurl abuse at you as well if i saw u wearing tight jeans

u fanny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollypop036)
    are you serious? people get beaten up for no reason all the time
    No, thats un-true, at least not all the time. Some of the victims may have provoked the person without knowing..even if it is, someone wearing skinny jeans and a gang not liking it so they beat the person up.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen any great problems with crime in this country. Nor do I think violent crime is at all common; frankly I think some people on TSR are paranoid.

(Original post by py0alb)
    you go around calling people "the underclass" and you wonder why you get beaten up?
    That's a perfectly ordinary socio-economic term.

ReputationRep:
    you go around calling people "the underclass" and you wonder why you get beaten up?

The probelm with this country is all the idiots who demonise young kids for simply standing around and occasionally doing something we would all secretly like to do, like intimidating a stuck up tw*t in tight jeans.
    they are the underclass, they add nothing to society. living off benefits given by the masses who obey the law.

you simply cannot justify beating someone up. if you think that calling someone a name is reason enough to beat someone up then you are a ******* retard. i hate chavs. wish they would all die or something. we need much tougher youth sentences in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    No, thats un-true, at least not all the time. Some of the victims may have provoked the person without knowing..even if it is, someone wearing skinny jeans and a gang not liking it so they beat the person up.
    sorry what, are you defending their actions? they never have the right to touch them. though should be ******* shot by firing squad. honestly i hate these little *****. eugh. couldn't care less about them.

funny story for all. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/8174792.stm
    society 1, chav girl 0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    Also, get out of my country then!

Go live in brilliant spain, or stop ****ging the place off. I hate people who live here, then **** it off, whilst using all the good stuff here.
    if you have something that isn't quite right you would want to change things for the better, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    they are the underclass, they add nothing to society. living off benefits given by the masses who obey the law.

you simply cannot justify beating someone up. if you think that calling someone a name is reason enough to beat someone up then you are a ******* retard. i hate chavs. wish they would all die or something. we need much tougher youth sentences in the UK.
    There's not really much I can say to that. You can't reason with someone of the intellectual capacity to attempt to take the moral high ground, and then, in the same paragraph, state that he wishes a huge portion of the country would die simply because they dress differently to him (so called "chavs").
    How would you go about this? A program of compulsory sterilisation for the poor or intellectually inferior perhaps? Or just cut to the chase - gas chambers!

Look - some people are violent. Some people are poor, and wear different clothes to you ("chavs" if you will). Some people are young. Occasionally, these three demographics overlap. Does this mean that all young, poor people are violent?

and then you go on about benefits... I'm pretty sure the youngsters you seem to have such a problem with don't qualify for benefits... you seem confused... perhaps you should put down the Daily Mail and go outside.

Do you hate all immigrants too and wish they would "go home"? (just a guess)

ReputationRep:
    sorry what, are you defending their actions? they never have the right to touch them. though should be ******* shot by firing squad. honestly i hate these little *****. eugh. couldn't care less about them.

funny story for all. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/8174792.stm
    society 1, chav girl 0.
    I was never defending them. I'm just saying that most of them are provoked into these actions, even if the person provoking isn't aware of it.

ReputationRep:
    There's not really much I can say to that. You can't reason with someone of the intellectual capacity to attempt to take the moral high ground, and then, in the same paragraph, state that he wishes a huge portion of the country would die simply because they dress differently to him (so called "chavs").
    How would you go about this? A program of compulsory sterilisation for the poor or intellectually inferior perhaps? Or just cut to the chase - gas chambers!

Look - some people are violent. Some people are poor, and wear different clothes to you ("chavs" if you will). Some people are young. Occasionally, these three demographics overlap. Does this mean that all young, poor people are violent?

and then you go on about benefits... I'm pretty sure the youngsters you seem to have such a problem with don't qualify for benefits... you seem confused... perhaps you should put down the Daily Mail and go outside.

Do you hate all immigrants too and wish they would "go home"? (just a guess)
    I have no issue with immigrants, i'm very much so pro immigration. What clothes you wear doesn't make you a chav. Chav is a very loose term these days anyways, the people I'm against are the minority of youngsters whom are violent. Killing them wouldn't exactly require gas chambers, I mean there aren't that many of them it's just that they make a large impact in the communities that they live. The remark about benifits I was reffering to the money they get from presumably their parents, I would bet that most of the violent youths in this country come from families living on benefits in housing estates.
    I just want these people to be separated from normal people. They don't seem to want to conform to a society in which there are rules and restrictions, but that's what we live in.

Pretty sure the whole killing thing came from the little Nazi in me everyone has their inner nazi

ReputationRep:
    I was never defending them. I'm just saying that most of them are provoked into these actions, even if the person provoking isn't aware of it.
    Much of these provocations are as the OP said really very much so superficial things, I really cannot comprehend believing anyone say that they had to hit them because they offended them by wearing skinny jeans etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I've never seen any great problems with crime in this country. Nor do I think violent crime is at all common; frankly I think some people on TSR are paranoid.

That's a perfectly ordinary socio-economic term.
    Not in the way he meant it. He meant the kids of average working class people who hang around outside because they aren't old enough to get into pubs and don't want to sit in their parents living room. This may or may not lead to them causing the occasional minor inconvenience , such as an unfunny witicism to a passerby -however most of the time it doesn't lead to any trouble.
    However this doesn't stop some Daily Mail-reading self-appointed vigilante coming and telling them to **** off, despite that fact that they have as much right to be there as he has.

The "underclass" is something totally different, and to describe a large section of our population as that shows an alarming level of ignorance and bigotry that it is our civil responsibility to call him out on.

ReputationRep:
    The remark about benifits I was reffering to the money they get from presumably their parents, I would bet that most of the violent youths in this country come from families living on benefits in housing estates.
    I just want these people to be separated from normal people. They don't seem to want to conform to a society in which there are rules and restrictions, but that's what we live in.
    Seeing as you seem interested in this, you should go and read an introductory sociology textbook. You will find that your conclusions are almost diametrically opposite to the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as you seem interested in this, you should go and read an introductory sociology textbook. You will find that your conclusions are almost diametrically opposite to the truth.
    and this is an absolute truth yes?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.