Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who the **** thinks 'an house' is standard? Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    and this is an absolute truth yes?
    There is no such thing as absolute truth. But its certainly a much better informed and well researched opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I <3 the UKKKK!

Every country has its good and bad sides. But I definitely do not want to live anywhere but here!

ReputationRep:
    Much of these provocations are as the OP said really very much so superficial things, I really cannot comprehend believing anyone say that they had to hit them because they offended them by wearing skinny jeans etc.
    Yeah, they are very veerrry stupid. But they are still classed as provocations, at least in my book.
    How about the classic "chav v grunger" ? they are at each others throats because of stupid, fickle things..but there is still enough provocations for them to beat each other up :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    I think I agree. In rough neighbourhoods in other 1st world countries, things will be terrible as they are here, but here even in respectable, nice places (I live in Henley) there is quite an element of violent anti-social behaviour.

I'm guessing that people who disagree have probably never lived abroad/ been abroad for a long period of time.
    Henley-on-Thames or Henley-in-Arden?

If it's the latter, I work in the Somerfield there However, I've never noticed that much violence really, other than the woman who comes into the shop high, or the guy who got barred from the White Swan for a year cause he got in a fight, and then lost his licence because he was drink-driving going home from a different pub - and he's a lorry driver.

Other than that it's very nice! So I'm guessing you mean Thames. In which case this post was pretty well irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    There is no such thing as absolute truth. But its certainly a much better informed and well researched opinion.
    Well, everyone dies eventually, that is an absolute truth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Well, everyone dies eventually, that is an absolute truth?
    In the same vein, every swan is white until we see a black swan.

ReputationRep:
    In the same vein, every swan is white until we see a black swan.
    With darwin's theory, we might see a black swan?..But, death will always be an absolute truth, nothing can change it :P

ReputationRep:
    With darwin's theory, we might see a black swan?..But, death will always be an absolute truth, nothing can change it :P
    My point is, they are both empirical theories based on prior experience. Thus they are both potentially fallible.

The only reason we conclude that death is inevitable is because we are not aware of anyone ever having lived forever. This does not guarantee that it will never happen, thus it is not an absolute truth.

ReputationRep:
    My point is, they are both empirical theories based on prior experience. Thus they are both potentially fallible.

The only reason we conclude that death is inevitable is because we are not aware of anyone ever having lived forever. This does not guarantee that it will never happen, thus it is not an absolute truth.
    Ahh, you make a good point..
    Okay, how about this..my name is Tola, is that not an absolute truth?

ReputationRep:
    if you have something that isn't quite right you would want to change things for the better, no?
    Obviously, no.

Not a reason to **** the whole flipping country off, which a lot of people live in by the way.

Who sez 'dat? We are da hardest and da best. Britain is da best yea? U say odawise we burn ur house yea? U get me bro?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its ok to put down the UK but its not ok to put down all these failed countries like nigeria

ReputationRep:
    It's a horrible place if you are poor, minority of ethnic minority and your parents aren't fluent in English!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, you make a good point..
    Okay, how about this..my name is Tola, is that not an absolute truth?
    Same principle applies - you only conclude that because that what you were told when you were young, or because thats what it says on your documents. You may have been lid to, or the documents might be fake, or you might have hallucinated the whole thing. You name might be Jeremy, you can't really be absolutely sure. Nothing based on evidence can ever be known with absolute certainty. This is the first principle of the scientific method.

The only things we know for sure are things which are built in to the original definition, ie if I define 1+1=2 then 2=1+1, etc.

We are getting away from the point of the thread here though.

ReputationRep:
    Same principle applies - you only conclude that because that what you were told when you were young, or because thats what it says on your documents. You may have been lid to, or the documents might be fake, or you might have hallucinated the whole thing. You name might be Jeremy, you can't really be absolutely sure. Nothing based on evidence can ever be known with absolute certainty. This is the first principle of the scientific method.

The only things we know for sure are things which are built in to the original definition, ie if I define 1+1=2 then 2=1+1, etc.

We are getting away from the point of the thread here though.
    Ja, but its an interesting diversion nevertheless :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KinkyBear)
    It's a horrible place if you are poor, minority of ethnic minority and your parents aren't fluent in English!!!
    Thats true of anywhere. Travel a bit

ReputationRep:
    In terms of undesirables Britain is well up there.

Mostly the chav problem is nothing to do with poverty. More likely its just reflection of Britains feudal past in which under a tiny elite lies a significant underclass.

I have almost never seen any chav-like behaviour in Southern Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Criminals yes, but never the pointless yobbery found on these shores.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.