Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am a US citizen, and I have decided to go to SOAS for my undergraduate degree. However, to help put myself through uni I need to find a job. If I am granted a student visa, am I still able to work in the UK? What kind of papers/ qualifications do I need to have in order to do so? How do income taxes work if I am not a UK citizen?

    I must warn you that thanks to the Liblabcons this country is going down.BNP is our only hope but the media stops it (like in the USA the media blocks all otheer parties)

    On a student visa, you can work up to 20 hours per week. In terms of documentation, you need your visa and a National Insurance number (not too sure how getting one of those works, but I shall look into it - I've got a few international students working with us at the moment, so I'm pretty sure they'll know more about it than me!).

    As far as I'm aware, non-UK citizens are taxed at the same amount. On a 20 hour contract (although, these days, anything more than a 12 hour contract is difficult to find) you'd be looking to pay £500 £50 to £60 a month, if I remember rightly.

    You can work 20 hours a week. The proof will be there on your student visa. A national insurance number is easy to get, even for internationals. You just need to be in the UK on a legal visa and have a job/be on the hunt for a job.


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo


"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.