Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my t-shirts, vests etc have got too tatty to wear, I need a new lot
    Can anyone recommend somewhere good for plain tunics, vests, tees and stuff? I'm thinking either topshop or american apparel at the moment, although I wont be able to afford as much from AA, is there a significant difference in the quality and how long they would last? Is somewhere else better? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Primark?

ReputationRep:
    i think h&m have got pretty basic lately. i've got quite a few basic tops from there for cheap and they look alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irachx)
    i think h&m have got pretty basic lately. i've got quite a few basic tops from there for cheap and they look alright.
    How are they lasting in the wash? I've had a few things from H&M that have got holes in very quickly and it has made me wary. On the other hand I have had some stuff that has lasted a while.

The primark near me never seem to have anything I want in my size :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I get my most important basics from AA like the essential whites and blacks. For any other basics, i usually go to dorothy perkins and topshop depending what style i'm after, topshop are good for vests and dotty p's are good for t-shirts.

ReputationRep:
    Dorothy Perkins are pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    New Look has lots of good basics. Vests and tops in every colour

ReputationRep:
    New Look (Central collection).

Else, Primark!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    Can anyone recommend somewhere good for plain tunics, vests, tees and stuff? I'm thinking either topshop or american apparel at the moment, although I wont be able to afford as much from AA, is there a significant difference in the quality and how long they would last? Is somewhere else better? Thanks.
    new look is good, not the best quality but cheap and marginally better cut of stuff than primark, though for really cheap stuff (like 50p) primark's were to head. I'm not sure basics will ever be that great quality even from expensive shops, so may as well head to cheaper places.

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    primark for very cheap things! but that doesn't really matter for basics!
    or h&m, new look, topshop if you have more money to spend

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice, just looking at the dorothy perkins and new look websites now

ReputationRep:
    my h&m stuff always seems to last really well, but tbh I find primarni to be decent enough, though often ethel austins has batter stuff cheaper cos of the huge number of sales they always have

ReputationRep:
    How are they lasting in the wash? I've had a few things from H&M that have got holes in very quickly and it has made me wary. On the other hand I have had some stuff that has lasted a while.

The primark near me never seem to have anything I want in my size :mad:
    They are really durable and seem to last quite a while for me. I've had no problems with them!

ReputationRep:
    I find Zara the best for basics

ReputationRep:
    Dorothy Perkins has an offer of 3 vests or t-shirts for £12. They come in lots of colours and are good quality cotton rather than synthetic. I loves them

Edit: I can't believe I mis-spelled t-shirt and TSR mistook it for a swear word :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've got well-worn Topshop vests that I've had for 4 years. I've not found their other basics so good though.

ReputationRep:
    For basic tees and vest UNIQLO is great and they have sales there often!

ReputationRep:
    american apparel are amazing quality. i've got stuff from there that's four yeears old and still going strong
    you can get some of it really cheap on us ebay, try "ocwholesaler" or "tuffymcpuggles". they have a sale on the site atm too, with some stuff reduced to £5, most of it is either xs or xl if you're either of those.

uniqlo do dead good basics as well, and gap. + gap have amazing sales

ReputationRep:
    primark is ok for basic-basics... like vest tops.
    i wouldnt recommend much else from that store though.
    topshop basics are nice.

ReputationRep:
    gap is the best. in the sales. also zara is good.
    i also wish i could afford aa, but sales are good for quality basics in better high street shops because they never go out of fashion!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.