The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher German: Exam

Well if you are doing AH deutsch then you have probably just done the exam. Wasn't it fun! :rolleyes:

Most people in my class found the listening harder than usual, myself included. The reading paper and translation were both ok I thought, I'm not sure about the writing because I only did 230ish words. Hope thats close enough. My essay was 'Das Internet - fuer und wider' which better mean 'The Internet - arguments for and against' ! I had to go back and guess a lot of the listening answers :frown:

Do all schools give the same exam and prelim papers?
I had to do it and it was hard. The reading paper was dead difficult, I thought, I had to use the dictionary constantly! The translation was OK though, and the listening was quite tough but do-able.
The writing I thought was OK, although I always make loads of grammatical errors. i did the one about why the germans are so much better where the environment's concerned than the british. I didn't really answer the question, though, i just said they were better than us becasue they have greens in the coalition, and our next generation will be better, and then waffled about the differences between us rather than the reasons for... didn't really answer that question at all!

Anyway, that's the exams over (soooooooooooo happy!) I think I've got between AAA and ABB, probably ABB, because German and Englsih were quite tricky.
Reply 2
I wouldnt' worry about not answering the question brilliantly, its only a 250 word essay! My grammar is crap so I just think what I want to say in english then write it in german, rather than using what we learn in class which I forget! Do you need an A for your uni course? I got an a1 last year but i think I will get a B this year thanks to the speaking exam a while back.
Reply 3
the listening was pretty difficult! but i liked the essay questions cos i learned my environment essay by heart the night before heehee :p: the translation was pretty good, although there was one sentence "Vielleicht versucht man es auch mit Nachhilfestunde" which i couldn't seem work out in english without including "could" or "should" :-S mental block i think!
the reading was alright..except question 6...which was so vague! what exactly were they wanting you to say?! and for 5 marks as well :frown:
sorry bout the late-ish reply - i haven't talked to anyone else about the exam yet cos i'm the only one doing it at my school! :rolleyes:
Reply 4
*katy*
"Vielleicht versucht man es auch mit Nachhilfestunde" :

I translated that as something like, 'perhaps follow this up with after study support sessions'. It sounds a bit clunky but I didn't know nachhilfestunde means private tuition. I wasn't in my dictionary somehow and I thought it was about what the parents should do, so I probably lost 2 marks.

As for that vague question, I was surprised they put two 'opinion questions in'. I just wrote about how the author takes a holistic approach to education and examines all aspects, then I just said what they were. I think that counts as a mark on merit sort of question so don't worry! :smile:

Latest