Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I weigh 45kg and can't put on weight. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    I wish I was 7 stone
    Same lol. Although I really want to get up to 8. I'm only around 42kg at the moment putting on weight is the hardest thing there really isn't enough hours in the day to consume all that food.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was 7 stone
    Is that a joke? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    Same lol. Although I really want to get up to 8. I'm only around 42kg at the moment putting on weight is the hardest thing there really isn't enough hours in the day to consume all that food.
    you having a giggle? if there wasn't time to eat we'd all be freaking rakes and there wouldn't be an obesity crisis

ReputationRep:
    I work 7+ hours manual labour, go to the gym for 1 hour 30, walk ~3 miles home from gym and still find time to eat and put on weight even though I'm a complete ectomorph.

You ectos fail at eating and give us other ectos a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    Check for overactive thyroid?
    One cookie for you :cookie:

Some people just can't understand it's not all about eating buckets of food if you want to gain weight.

ReputationRep:
    This is nonsense. If you were eating enough you would be putting on weight. Just eat more, it's simple.

(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Eat lots and lots of fatty food, and do a moderate amount of exercise.

Then go to the GP if you aren't putting on any weight.

Doesn't really warrant a thread on TSR :troll:
    Are you mental?

The op needs to start eating a lot of protein and low gi carbs with good fats such as fish and peanuts. Keep all exercise down and start lifting weights.

Just eat till you can't eat anymore and you start putting on weight.

And get some bloods done on your thyroid.

ReputationRep:
    Let me tell you now, with your body composition you DONT want to be doing lifting. Theres plenty of other areas your body could be using the calories to build you up.

Basically there is one thing. Just eat. Eat eat eat eat regardless of whether you are hungry, set a timer for say every 2 hours and eat at least a smallish meal every time, because at the end of a day its a simple calories in - calories out. You'd be surprised how little you can eat in a day and not realise.

What you eat is a different matter, the quickest way is fatty junky stuff, nothing wrong with it to put on weight, but you then do have to spend your time at the gym converting it into muscle/taking some of the excess fat off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    And also I've been eating about 2500 calories a day for months and have lost weight if anything. With no exercise.
    Buy a weight gainer. They will give you a good 500+ calories a serving. Have it just before bed.

2500 isn't enough obviously. You'd be surprised how much of a difference 1000 calories will make, even 500. Experiment. Keep a journal and count the calories and constantly weigh yourself. When you find you're putting on weight, note how much you've been eating, and make sure you eat at least that amount daily. It won't take long for you to pile on the pounds after that. Of course you want to start lifting and doing some cardio to prevent the increase from being purely body fat.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    He should be lifting.

If he lifts he is forcing his body to grow due to the stimulus of lifting. If he eats and lifts he will grow and put on weight faster than if he just eats.

Either way 7 stone at 21, might have hyperactive thyroid. I thought I had this but then I just lifted and ate and gained weight.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 15, 5'3 and 45 kg. I was actually worried about this same thing, but now I feel a bit better after reading this

(Not helping? Sorry :ahee:)

All I can say is to go to a GP, because this may be a health condition. There's NO POINT in forcing yourself to eat more fatty foods like ice cream and chocolate because it really doesn't work.
    Maybe you should start working out as well, muscle weighs more than fat you know :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was 7 stone
    are you overweight or underweight? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    I'm the same height, except I'm just under 6 stone and I'm 14. My BMI is like 13.2, and I can't put on any weight either :\. Also I do not suffer from anorexia, I know I am extremely skinny. I eat quite a lot in general, must just be my metabolism.
    13.2 ?!

Suffer from anorexia? Anorexic is defined as a BMI less than 17.5. You are dangerously underweight and your health is at serious risk being so severely underweight. If you have an infection you have no reserve to fight it.

Re: Metabolism. I don't think you guys know what you are talking about. I have seen hyperthyroid patients and they do not present like this. It should not be a knee-jerk reaction that everyone you see with low weight -> it must be thyroid. Thyroid has clues. Hyperthyroid is symptomatic - people know there is a problem. With it they can't sleep, they are always anxious, they have heart palpatations, always hot and interolant to heat, they have recent weight loss (not chronic low weight), have a family history of thyroid problems etc. There's normally good signs that will make you think 'thyroid' and they also may have an enlarge thyroid, protruding eyes. With people with chronically low body weight and no evidence of thyroid history / signs you think anorexia. I do think telling someone with anorexia that they are fine and it is just their metabolism when there is no evidence that there is very dangerous. I also think advising someone about anorexia regarding food when you have no knowledge of medicine and when you are only 45kg is also very dangerous. People do die of anorexia in this country and it should not be ignored. I'm sorry if that is harsh but the truth is that you have to be pretty stubborn to be this anorexia and it is not just as simple as 'eat more' as everyone is saying. It is a psychological condition and there are genuine underlying issues that is normally is the real reason behind the not eating. Normally you stop the anorexia by sorting out these issues but it is very hard to treat especially since the vast majority of people with it tend to believe that the are normal despite being grossly underweight and that they also think they are eating a lot when clearly the evidence shows otherwise.

I can only advise that you seek some immediate medical attention. I can not help you. No one has a magic cure and this really cannot be sorted out by TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogie)
    Let me tell you now, with your body composition you DONT want to be doing lifting. Theres plenty of other areas your body could be using the calories to build you up.
    Why?! Lifting is exactly what he should be doing!

I was 45kg, 5'8. Perfectly healthy in that I recovered from infections like anyone else, never had any health problems. Only problem was I was way too small (still am too small). So I started lifting weights which helped me build up an appetite. I ate loads, and so far I've put on 5kg in around 3 months. I intend to put on another 10kg at least, but the good thing is that 5kg has been a lot of muscle. Bench press has gone from 9kg-----> 16.5kg for example in each hand.

ReputationRep:
    we are talking madly underweight here. please dont start a petty argument about weight training. none of you are qualified to give medical advice and i really think that they should be talking to experts not hearsay and random opinions from people online. the real issue is severe lack of food. if you are so thin and not gaining weight this is the major problem that needs to be sorted first. when he is starting putting on weight and the weight is at an acceptably low level then this would be the time to start a weight training program but until then he needs to be sorted out by the GP. sorry if harsh but i feel quite strongly about this for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    we are talking madly underweight here. please dont start a petty argument about weight training. none of you are qualified to give medical advice and i really think that they should be talking to experts not hearsay and random opinions from people online. the real issue is severe lack of food. if you are so thin and not gaining weight this is the major problem that needs to be sorted first. when he is starting putting on weight and the weight is at an acceptably low level then this would be the time to start a weight training program but until then he needs to be sorted out by the GP. sorry if harsh but i feel quite strongly about this for some reason.
    The BMI is just a figure and its very bad as a guide line.

What you have to do is actually look at the guys medical history. At one point I was close to being under Starvation on the BMI, but the fact of the matter was that I was perfectly health. I went to school every day with as high attendance record as anybody else. If the guy is like me, and just naturally extremely thin without having bad health then weight training may well help him gain weight as it did for me. It increased my appetite and it increased my strength by a lot.

Oh, and by all means see a GP, but I did it once and all they said was 'eat more'. That was it. They said 'Your health is perfectly fine, there's nothing wrong with you, just eat'.

Dont base health off BMI, base it off reliable evidence. If in doubt, see a GP to get checked.

EDIT: I was talking mainly about the OP. But I see you're talking about the guy with BMI of 13.2. That does seem excessive as the lowest I got to was 15. I'd advise him too to see a GP, but if he is perfectly fine health wise I dont see why lifting a few weights to encourage the appetite is that objectional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    Of course if he feels he needs to he should see a GP. TSR cannot give medical diagnoses, yada yada yada.

But look, I weighed 53kg at 6f1. That's as bad as the OP, I think. What was the problem? Not eating enough. I ate more, lifted weights, and put on weight (have put on over 10kg since starting). That's what he needs to do.

FluxD weighed some pathetic amount. What was the problem? He didn't eat and he didn't lift. He's changed his lifestyle and sorted it, and has put on loads of weight (must be over 15kg I reckon).

The same's true of Transatlanticdrawl.

That's what the OP needs to do.

EDIT: Completely agree with you re: metabolism though.

ReputationRep:
    Such silliness from the OP, I've put on 20KG in the past year from eating and lifting. And the eating is GLORIOUS.

ReputationRep:
    i would still get the eating sorted out first since this is the main problem. i know you all didnt have much problem with putting on weight but often it is not as simple as just 'eat more'. i do think you really need to stress the importance of food intake and give very clear advice about the diet you should follow. for someone so underweight he probably has a distorted idea of what is a normal amount of food and having the GP and dietician giving conflicting views (then having everyone online giving even more comflicting views) it must be pretty hard to know what to follow.

i think it is probably best since you all have some experience to write down what you ate before and what you need to be eating with weights and to actually put down the basic regime that you are starting with. that would probably be the most helpful.

ReputationRep:
    What I ate before:

Breakfast: Skipped

Lunch: 2 cheese and pickle sandwiches. Can of coke.

Mid afternoon: Chocolate bar. Can of coke. Crisps.

Dinner: Balanced meal (cooked by mum).

After dinner: Tonnes of booze.

See, **** all food.

What I ate later is detailed in this post:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4&postcount=57

Current diet is similar to that, but I have a bit less.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.