Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I weigh 45kg and can't put on weight. Watch

ReputationRep:
    That really is quite thin and isn't healthy at all.

I think there is an underlying condition if you are still struggling to gain weight at 21. At that age the metabolism slows down a little.

Though if you see your GP then he should be able to help you. It's unlikely to be anything serious and you might need a massive change in diet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad someone finally hit on the false notion of an overactive thyroid. Unless the GP was deaf, dumb and blind, he would have already thought of Hyperthyroidism.

By all means, seek more medical attention. But in the mean time, make a proper accurate dietary log.

Eat more food. Olive oil shots are not unheard of in the weight gaining community and are very effective for rapid weight gain. As is whole fat milk and fast food.

Lets be clear, the above dietary suggestions I've given are not necessarily a lifestyle change. That is to put on some quick weight fast. You should not live off of fast food and oil for the rest of your life. But in the short term, and as long as you are getting adequate exercise (weight training is highly recommended here), it will pose no long term risk whatsoever.

Yes, fast food is high in cholesterol. But cholesterol is good for you in the right amounts; the body needs cholesterol. If you are lifting weights and training hard to build muscle, you will be producing a much higher level of natural steroids... testosterone. Cholesterol is used to make testosterone. If you're giving your body a reason to require more cholesterol, then little harm is made. Also, exercise increases HDL which lowers excess cholesterol (the surplus cholesterol not being used for hormone production and other normal bodily functions).

This should hopefully quite down some of the "healthy food" freaks out there.

ReputationRep:
    First and foremost I think the poor lad needs to go to the doctors and find out what's up with him, lifting weights and getting into that routine will certainly help but shouldn't be top of the agenda because for all we know it might be a something bit more difficult to sort out than just drinking shakes and lifting weights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    This should hopefully quite down some of the "healthy food" freaks out there.
    I'm glad you agreed re hyperthyroid I agree with your nutrition ideas if you are than underweight. Need to get nutrition in any way if that severely undernurished. I did make a post a couple of days ago questioning the 5 fruit, 2 litres of water and vitamin tablets and some people thought I was mad. I really dont understand some of you bodybuilder some times. How can people possibly be really anal about nutrition (like 5 fruits a day) only to be happy to take anything under the sun to get muscles. Anabolic steroids, weird combinations of drugs i've never heard of together (ephedrine, caffeine and aspirin - wtf?) and i've heard a few more. Perhaps it's for another thread but I really can't understand the logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revenged)
    I'm glad you agreed re hyperthyroid I agree with your nutrition ideas if you are than underweight. Need to get nutrition in any way if that severely undernurished. I did make a post a couple of days ago questioning the 5 fruit, 2 litres of water and vitamin tablets and some people thought I was mad. I really dont understand some of you bodybuilder some times. How can people possibly be really anal about nutrition (like 5 fruits a day) only to be happy to take anything under the sun to get muscles. Anabolic steroids, weird combinations of drugs i've heard heard of together (ephedrine, caffeine and aspirin - wtf?) and i've heard a few more. Perhaps it's for another thread but I really can't understand the logic.
    Five fruit and veg and two litres of water are minimum amounts fyi. And you're an idiot if you think there are no benefits in doing so.

I don't understand the nutrition/bodybuilder/steroids/diuretics link/point you're trying to make.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you agreed re hyperthyroid I agree with your nutrition ideas if you are than underweight. Need to get nutrition in any way if that severely undernurished. I did make a post a couple of days ago questioning the 5 fruit, 2 litres of water and vitamin tablets and some people thought I was mad. I really dont understand some of you bodybuilder some times. How can people possibly be really anal about nutrition (like 5 fruits a day) only to be happy to take anything under the sun to get muscles. Anabolic steroids, weird combinations of drugs i've never heard of together (ephedrine, caffeine and aspirin - wtf?) and i've heard a few more. Perhaps it's for another thread but I really can't understand the logic.
    For the most part, there's a reason behind all the seemingly weird ideas. Most have science behind them, but all of them have at least anecdotal evidence.

But you have to be around it enough to separate the bulls***. You have to also use your head and be able to draw logical conclusions. And you have to know when to listen to those that know what they're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    im in pretty much the same position as the OP. Eat a lot of fatty foods but never get fat. my friends call me "the american dream". lol. i try to enjoy it though....

ReputationRep:
    Drink lots and lots of full fat milk. Also eat a lot of steak and drink more milk.

ReputationRep:
    13.2 ?!

Suffer from anorexia? Anorexic is defined as a BMI less than 17.5. You are dangerously underweight and your health is at serious risk being so severely underweight. If you have an infection you have no reserve to fight it.

Re: Metabolism. I don't think you guys know what you are talking about. I have seen hyperthyroid patients and they do not present like this. It should not be a knee-jerk reaction that everyone you see with low weight -> it must be thyroid. Thyroid has clues. Hyperthyroid is symptomatic - people know there is a problem. With it they can't sleep, they are always anxious, they have heart palpatations, always hot and interolant to heat, they have recent weight loss (not chronic low weight), have a family history of thyroid problems etc. There's normally good signs that will make you think 'thyroid' and they also may have an enlarge thyroid, protruding eyes. With people with chronically low body weight and no evidence of thyroid history / signs you think anorexia. I do think telling someone with anorexia that they are fine and it is just their metabolism when there is no evidence that there is very dangerous. I also think advising someone about anorexia regarding food when you have no knowledge of medicine and when you are only 45kg is also very dangerous. People do die of anorexia in this country and it should not be ignored. I'm sorry if that is harsh but the truth is that you have to be pretty stubborn to be this anorexia and it is not just as simple as 'eat more' as everyone is saying. It is a psychological condition and there are genuine underlying issues that is normally is the real reason behind the not eating. Normally you stop the anorexia by sorting out these issues but it is very hard to treat especially since the vast majority of people with it tend to believe that the are normal despite being grossly underweight and that they also think they are eating a lot when clearly the evidence shows otherwise.

I can only advise that you seek some immediate medical attention. I can not help you. No one has a magic cure and this really cannot be sorted out by TSR.
    Last time I checked (which was 2 months ago, with my science teacher) anorexia was defined as a mental condition. Which is true like you said. Although I do not suffer from it at all. In fact, I'm eating a huge bowl of ice cream right now :p:

I've been this way all of my life, I've had a confirmed case of swine flu the other week, I fought it off in 4 days, which, as far as I know, is quicker than average. My mother caught it from me and she was ill with it for a week and a half, and shes normal weight. I hugely doubt I have immune system problems. I have always been quick with fighting off illnesses.

Trust me, with me I think its natural. It just happens with some people. The reason why people like me stand out so much nowadays is because so much of the population is overweight/obese. Say a few centuries back, I would be a fairly normal weight actually.

Also, my BMI is actually 13.6, although thats still hardly a difference from 13.2 in comparison to what I should be, atleast 17.5

ReputationRep:
    You are 14, your test is probably just low and haven't really hit mid-puberty properly.

Lift weights brah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    Trust me, with me I think its natural.
    :rolleyes:

Stop deluding yourself kid. It is in no way natural to starve yourself to nothing more than skin and bones. To put in into perspective the vast majority of starving african children are in better position that you. Even in the classification of starvation (marasmus) you are well below a BMI that would be classified as moderate malnutrition, so you are very severely malnourished [Degree I (BMI 17-18.4), degree II (BMI 16-16.9) and degree III (less than 16)]. I'm saying no more about this. If you want to grow up with severely stunted growth, with no muscle mass and be walking around completally skeletal them i'm not going to stop you. It is not healthy nor is it in any way normal. I think you need to get some urgent help and it would do you good to pay attention and listen. Your choice. I'm saying no more about this.

ReputationRep:
    Eat , sleep , lift some iron

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Wow - 7 stone at 5'6''? I'm 11 stone at the same height! Crikey!

As people have said above, mate, see a dietician - they'll be able to give better advice than us, probably.

But failing that, food and heavy lifting will pack on the weight soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same, 17 year old girl, 5"6, 7 and a half stone, I exercise fairly regulary but I can't put on weight for the life of me. I'm fed up of trying but I have my friends and family who are watching my every move which is rather off putting! It just seems the more food i eat, the more weight i lose!

Please let me know if you find a solution OP!!

ReputationRep:
    cant be bothered to read the whole thread but the jist is people saying they cant put on weight and they eat loads. You can put on weight, i weighed 9 stone and used to eat what i wanted and my weight never changed, then i got into body building and wanted to start gaining weight. My weight went from 9 to 12 stone in 4 months by changing my diet, you people do not eat loads you just think you do. So stop phucking whinging and eat.

ReputationRep:
    lol i want to bench press you.

ReputationRep:
    eat a lots of junk food...it always works out and u will definitely gain on 100 pounds ...
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    How can people be saying to eat X amount of calories, it depends on what activity the person is doing in the day which they didn't really specify. If you are just being lazy during the day then you can easily get away with 2000 cals, especially at his weight, however if he is doing sports etc then he's gonna need more.

Personally I think he was chatting balls when he said he was eating a lot more for the past month and had lost weight, also surely if he had been to see the gp/doctor they would have taken blood tests if they were that concerend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.