Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR.

I'm 16 and think I need braces, I have a gap between my two front teeth and some of them are crooked. Anyway the nearest orthodontists to where i live is in a pretty affluent area *cough*Dulwich*cough* and being 16 cant get them on the NHS any more.

I visited them today and am going to have a free consoltation tomorrow, but was told it could cost £150 for them. Which I can't afford. Can't I get it on the NHS being in full time education? Are there any other ways to not pay as much for them? Do I need them at all?

ReputationRep:
    You can get braces on the NHS until you're 18, and if your local NHS trust only gives them to kids under 16, then you still may be able to get an exemption. Although, it's harder if your problem is cosmetic and doesn't cause you any problems with speech and/or eating. Is the place you're going to private? Try and get a referal to somewhere which treats NHS patients, too?

ReputationRep:
    Getting braces private costs about £3,000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dftt)
    Getting braces private costs about £3,000
    I know, I meant getting just a proper cosultation will cost 150 squid.

Oh and I've seen tht other thread on braces so mods plaese just merege this onw with that one.

ReputationRep:
    You can get it on the NHS. If all else fails, make a huge deal about how it affects you psychologically.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.