Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can a Girl really have a male best friend? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    Yes as long as thee is no attraction involved. I agree with twizzle, it's like having the best bits of a boyfriend without the worry. Also it's nice to have a guys opinion on things.
    Or the sex.

Yeah defo! Not saying there wont come a time when one is attracted to the other but if you're realli that good friends no reason why you cant work thorugh it!

Speaking from personal experience i grew to love my best male mate and ended up telling him but he just kept saying he saw us as no more than mates, was gutted but after a while realised he was right and now we're fine!

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    In my experience all close male : female relationships in my life have always strayed from friendship in some kind of way. So, I'd say they are much different than female : female friendships and male : male friendships.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yep. My best friend is male

(He's never been attracted to me and vice versa; I was ten when we met and he was 20, so it would be kinda weird)

ReputationRep:
    i love my best friends to pieces and they are both guys. I share everything with them!!!
    So yes it is absolutely possible to have a male best friend!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if there's no attraction.
    But it can really change a friendship if there becomes attraction - especially if it's one-sided - and it sometimes can't go back.
    That's why it helps if he's gay

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but never the other way round...

ReputationRep:
    I have a few close guy friends

ReputationRep:
    I did for 5 years =(

ReputationRep:
    Homosexual? Easily.

Heterosexal? More difficult - but not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Girls are naive optimists. There is always an attraction involved but whether something is done about it is the important thing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes- my brother is my best friend.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    IMO boys make better friends than girls (for a girl). No *****iness, no competition

ReputationRep:
    Yes

But on an aside - I'm staggered at the niavety of many of the females on this thread, saying that only if there is no sexual attraction. I think you hugely underestimate the male sex drive. All men will have at least imagined having sex with virtually any healthy female they come into contact with. It doesn't mean they want to be with you, just something they do without really meaning to.

Plus men are very good at hiding feelings sometimes, so they may fancy you but not let on

Yes, one of my female friends considers me as her best friend.
    However, I think especially for the male side there will be an attraction that is more than just friends at some point. I went through a period of wanting her as more than a friend, and told her, however she did not share the feelings. We worked through it though and now it's fine
    But I think it may be more difficult for guys to keep being only friends...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    I did for 5 years =(

"did" what went wrong??

two of my three best friends are guys
    granted the one i'm closest to is gay ... but i've only known that recently
    and the other i went out with in the past (as in years ago...)
    but really, i can talk to them about anything, so yeah you can have a male best friend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)

"did" what went wrong??
    loooooooong story
    he came to my college and just forgot about me literally
    ohwell =( found better people to chill with i guess lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.