Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How important is physical strength in a fight watch

ReputationRep:
    I was always under the impression that fighting skill was important, but then I watched ufc 100 and watched lesnar destroy mir.

I know lesnar has some wrestling credentials but, Both couture and mir are lightyears ahead of lesnar in terms of technical abilites and he just steam rolled them both.

Now imagine a scenario on the street: angry, 100kg guy with insane strength vs 60kg martial arts dude - who would win.

ReputationRep:
    Strength matters little. The speed that you should run away from a possible fight, does, however.

ReputationRep:
    Mental strength is more important. It allows you to think logically and run in such circumstances where you face no real chance of winning

ReputationRep:
    If you're as big/strong as Lesnar then all you need to do is hold them down and pound them. The only worry is whether you hit the guy too hard and end up in prison.

Lesnar isn't invincible and a guy with great speed and 'reading' skill would be able to beat him, it would be very hard though. But I'd say similair things about someone like Mayweather going up against a tubby bloke who was a bit stronger, in that case Mayweather would be way too fast, not strong.

It's a question that only applies to individual fights rather than every fight.

ReputationRep:
    strength is definitely important in a fight, but skill is more important, brock lesnar doesn't win purely because of his strength if that was the case then bob sapp would be one of the best fighters lol, he wins because he is a lot bigger and stronger than his opponent, he is a 2x NCAA wrestling champion those are some very good credentials, and he is very quick and athletic for a guy his size. An example of a smaller more skilled fighter beating opponents much larger than himself go watch the early UFCs where you can see 175 lbs royce gracie tapping out guys who are 250 lbs or watch fedor against hong man choi. Anyone who says that size doesn't matter in a fight is ignorant, there is a reason they have weight classes in combat sports, e.g. put someone like urijah faber who fights at 145 but is very skilled up against anderson silva who is also extremely skilled and he would get destroyed. Same as Mayweather against one of the Kitlchkos.

basically skill >>> strength

but strength + skill >>> skill alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love me)
    I was always under the impression that fighting skill was important, but then I watched ufc 100 and watched lesnar destroy mir.

I know lesnar has some wrestling credentials but, Both couture and mir are lightyears ahead of lesnar in terms of technical abilites and he just steam rolled them both.

Now imagine a scenario on the street: angry, 100kg guy with insane strength vs 60kg martial arts dude - who would win.
    as for this question, there are too many variables for a direct answer, it depends on the angry guy's fitness level, speed, cardio etc and it depends on what art the martial arts guy is trained in (there are a lot of BS martial arts around).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    If you're as big/strong as Lesnar then all you need to do is hold them down and pound them. The only worry is whether you hit the guy too hard and end up in prison.

Lesnar isn't invincible and a guy with great speed and 'reading' skill would be able to beat him, it would be very hard though. But I'd say similair things about someone like Mayweather going up against a tubby bloke who was a bit stronger, in that case Mayweather would be way too fast, not strong.

It's a question that only applies to individual fights rather than every fight.
    the man to beat brock:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.