Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I'm debating whether or not to register to sit the UKCAT, as i'm unsure whether or not it would be work applying to graduate entry medicine this year.
    Currently just about to start my third year studying psychology in september, and my work exp so far is:
    -volunteering in a drug addiction drop in centre (support for drug users, as well as needle exchange service, and health support as it is staffed by nurses)
    -week placement in a community pharmacy
    -week at vitalise
    -hopefully long term placement hospital ward volunteering on a weekly basis (starting september)

I haven't got any shadowing under by belt yet, not for lack of trying though, guess i've just been unlucky so far.

Will this amount of experience just be laughed at, or with a credible UKCAT score will it pull together as a decent application??

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially from students currently on the graduate entry route!

Cheers,

ReputationRep:
    i think thats a good amount of experience, the drug addiction drop in centre is great! make sure you can talk about at interview and you'll be fine. apply this year.

ReputationRep:
    The voluntary stuff all looks pretty impressive to me!

Getting some doctor shadowing would be really useful - for you as much as for your application as it can give you a much better idea of what medicine's actually like. Try writing to or ringing up specific doctors (friends' parents? neighbours? or names might be found on the Trust website, or ask your GP to name some local consultants in X speciality), often they're keen to have people to follow them around all day and look impressed at them, and can organise it with Voluntary Services much more easily than you can.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.