Turn on thread page Beta

A little help.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

Basically I'm applying for uni for 2011 entry and I want to do Computing & Business there and I thought that it would be a good idea to get some hands on experience on learning how to fix a computer (from various issues) and build a computer just as a little extra curricular to familiarise myself with a computer and that even more than I know now if that makes sense.

But I don't know where else to go except for computer shops which seem to be too busy to take me on.

If it don't make sense I'll elaborate.

Purple_Converse

ReputationRep:
    Advertise in the local paper.

Why don't you want to do a real degree like computer science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Advertise in the local paper.

Why don't you want to do a real degree like computer science?
    Hi,
    Because 1) I'm not too sure if I do want to go down the computer science route
    2) My maths is not the strongest, and I know maths is required for Comp Sci.

Thanks for the idea though :yes:

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do computer hardware, uni. probably isn't the place you want to go to learn this.
    Courses such as A+ etc. are the way to go.
    If you want to learn about the admin. of systems, Microsoft MCDST, MCSA, MCSE are the way to go.
    All these should be available through local higher education colleges.

A computing and business degree wont be related to fixing computers (hardware) but will be related to eCommerce, Business Analysis, some programming etc.

I currently work in an IT company and the majority of IT people that don't work in the support area wouldn't have a clue how to rebuild a computer. This includes Software Developers, which people outside of the IT working world would assume could do this easily.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.