Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I'm looking to learn to drive a scooter and have a few questions so...

    1. How do lessons work? Is it like with cars where you have an instructor and learn over so many hours or is it a daily course thing? I've heard different things and can't pinpoint a webpage (yes i am awful at the internet...)

    2. What would people recommend for a first scooter - vespa or lambretta, i.e. ease to drive, value for money etc...?

    It's a one day course (called a CBT - Compulsory Bike Training) Search for CBT Instructor + 'your area' and you should find tons. Will cost £100-150 for the day but that includes some kit (if yours isn't to standard) full theory in the morning, and practise all afternoon and the test and certificate. It'll be small groups (mine was 3) and you learn all you need to know. The CBT is valid for two years and HAS to be kept with your provisional when you're riding to prove you're allowed.

    My scoot was a Yamaha. Lovely thing it was, cost a fiver to fill and the only bad thing was when the exhaust rusted through (lived near the coast so it was a hazard) If you can, see if Yamaha are doing the free insurance for a year. Mine did, and I paid the extra for an upgrade to TPFT from TP (fully comp was too much) If it's the same deal, it'll be with Devitt DA, who are a banging company for cheap scoot insurance when you're young.

    Any more questions? (used to be a bit of abiker, still is)

    For a moped you need to do a CBT, and will have to repeat in 2 years

    If your going to ride something less than 125cc you need a cbt and L plates. and will haave to repeat in 2 years

    If you want something over 125cc you need to do your cbt, theory and motorbike test. this i view as the best option, as i would recommend something over 50cc, preferable 125cc as then at least you have some acceleration to get out of situations.

    CBT is done in a group, road riding with an instrucor behind you, and off road with the instructor watching. Done in one day. You can do lessons before but you shouldnt need to

    For lessons for the test you has an instructor on a bike riding behind you.

    With a scooter you need to apply for a provisional licence and then complete the CBT (Compulsory basic training) at a registered ADI centre (There is one in all cities and most major towns). The CBT will take you about 5 hrs so allow a full day or so to complete it. Once you've done that then you are legally allowed to ride the scooter by yourself. However, the CBT only lasts for two years and you are restricted by not being allowed to carry a pillion passenger and you must use number plates. Also you will be restricted to a maximum of 50cc (125 cc if you are 17 or over).

    As for training it depends on what size engine you want to use. If you only have a 50cc and are 16 don't honestly bother. Even if you pass in a moped you still have to use L-Plates!! In a 125cc you can either use courses which will be over a few days and will incorporate the two practical tests too (Module one (a few skills test in a combined space) and module two (an on the road test)) - You usually need to book your own theory test though. Some of the longer courses will incorporate a CBT aswell. The other option is learning by yourself (and maybe getting a trainer to help you) and then taking the tests independently.

    EDIT - This video here explains the new style test well - http://www.dsa.coionline.tv/newbiketestvideo/

    Once you have passed you will be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. Once you have done that - you will be able to ride any size bike! However, if you turn 21 whilst you are in this period you can take an additional test to remove the rest of the "waiting time".

    As for reccomendations - mine is DON'T BOTHER!!! Twist-n-go Scooters are inefficent compared to their motorcycle counterparts because they use a poor automatic gearing system and a belt instead of a chain to power the back wheel which is inefficent. Also, the smaller wheels don't respons as well to road conditions (potholes and bumps etc.) and, as a result, the suspension is poorer. I would reccomend, therefore, that you get a Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki bike to start off with and keep going with a manual bike - a Honda CG125 being the best learner bike I can reccomend (It also makes a fantastic bike even when you've passed the test!)

    Hope this helps!


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.