Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This thread is not about whether abortion is right or wrong.

Would you(woman) have an abortion if somehow they could detect if the baby was going to have either a physical deformity(no hand) or a mental deformity(down sydrome) or any other forms of deformity(fused twin)........

I was just curious to see how would a women(or man, as a husband or boy friend) decide on such issue and how bad does it have to be for you to decide to have an abortion.......

ReputationRep:
    This is obviously all a matter of opinion and each case would be particular to the circumstances.

You need to weigh up the odds of the child's chances of having a good quality of life. It's not fair to keep a child alive if all that it's going to do is suffer.

You also need to consider your ability to provide the correct care for this child (possibly for the rest of it's life if it's got serious problems). Are you mentally, emotionally and financially able to support the kid?

It's a strange question to ask, because you are going to get loads of people just giving their opinions for and against abortion.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would, but I can't ever really judge how I'd react in such a situation.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If they wouldn't be able to lead a normal life (that involves going to school, working, living independently as an adult, communicating with other people, etc.), then I would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    If they wouldn't be able to lead a normal life (that involves going to school, working, living independently as an adult, communicating with other people, etc.), then I would.
    I think that this would be the standard response from the girls. I agree with it.

ReputationRep:
    I would abort the poor baby if I didn't think it could lead a regular life without being impeded in some way ; downs' syndrome, physical deformity, conjoined twin. I would feel terrible about doing it but I wouldn't want the life of them to be in anyway disturbed. However I could only do it before they turned into a fetus.......

i think its horrific when people abort healthy babies, and i don't think i could ever do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    I agree, but what would you think that would hinder a person form living a normal life .e.g. no hand or obvious birth mark etc....

ReputationRep:
    looks like most people would choose to abort only if the baby is hindered from living a normal life. So I put forward another scenario, what if he/she is the result of rape......
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by DR_X)
    I agree, but what would you think that would hinder a person form living a normal life .e.g. no hand or obvious birth mark etc....
    I've already said.

How would a birth mark prevent someone from 'going to school, working, living independently as an adult, communicating with other people, etc'?

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend and I would only consider abortion if the her life was threatened or if the baby was going to live an agonising and short life. I don't think downs syndrome is a valid reason for abortion, and a cleft pallet most certainly isn't either. I can understand why someone would abort a downs baby, but at least be honest; it's not about their life it's about yours.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.