Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    right, I'm sure this has been well covered, but i can't find exactly what i'm looking for and different people are giving conflicting advice.

I am moving to Scotland later this year, my mum's got a job there and she wants to go back home (she's scottish, dad's scouse, i've lived in liverpool all my life). I'm also taking a gap year so will be applying to uni this year, what's the deal with tuition fees?

I wanted to go to a Scottish uni anyway, and i know that their tuition fees are lower than English uni's but i can't quite work out what the deal is once i'm a resident of Scotland.

So could someone please explain it all to me?

thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fliss_pop)
    right, I'm sure this has been well covered, but i can't find exactly what i'm looking for and different people are giving conflicting advice.

I am moving to Scotland later this year, my mum's got a job there and she wants to go back home (she's scottish, dad's scouse, i've lived in liverpool all my life). I'm also taking a gap year so will be applying to uni this year, what's the deal with tuition fees?

I wanted to go to a Scottish uni anyway, and i know that their tuition fees are lower than English uni's but i can't quite work out what the deal is once i'm a resident of Scotland.

thanks x
    I'd imagine that if you have a Scottish address, then you'll be able to apply to SAAS to pay your tuition.

ReputationRep:

thanks x
    You need to have been ordinarily resident in Scotland (so not just here for education, for example) for three years prior to your course starting for SAAS to fund you.

ReputationRep:
    I could be wrong, but I remember being told you need to have been living at a Scottish residence for at least 3 years.

Edit: oh, too late :p:

ReputationRep:
    As far as I remember you have to have been a resident in Scotland for three years for SAAS to pay your tuition fees, but you'd have to check that on the SAAS website.

And yes they are lower up here but our courses are usually a year longer so it kind of balances out.

Edit - Ugh slow typing :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was 2 years not 3 but seems like what i've been told was wrong

ReputationRep:
    According to the SAAS website:

"To meet the general residence conditions, you must have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the the first day of the first academic year of the course" and "You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date" the relevant date for 2010 entry has not yet been declared, but judging by the 2009 date would be around August.

I've been a resident in the UK for over 18 years, and I'll be a Scottish resident by Christmas, but having prompted a discussion of how long your residency must be for you to apply, what would i do about disabled student allowance? That's awarded through local educational departments, so if I moved I wouldn't qualify to apply through Liverpool's system anymore, but would I be told I hadn't lived there long enough by the Scottish system to qualify north of the border?

And can I just check, if the SAAS pay my tuition fees, do I have to pay that back and how does that work? I'm just finding the SAAS website really difficult to navigate so am using the un-ending wisdom of TSR users instead, thanks

ReputationRep:
    According to the SAAS website:

"To meet the general residence conditions, you must have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the the first day of the first academic year of the course" and "You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date" the relevant date for 2010 entry has not yet been declared, but judging by the 2009 date would be around August.

I've been a resident in the UK for over 18 years, and I'll be a Scottish resident by Christmas, but having prompted a discussion of how long your residency must be for you to apply, what would i do about disabled student allowance? That's awarded through local educational departments, so if I moved I wouldn't qualify to apply through Liverpool's system anymore, but would I be told I hadn't lived there long enough by the Scottish system to qualify north of the border?
    You certainly wouldn't use your old educational authority if you had since moved. So you may be entitled to use SAAS for some purposes, but not for the full free tuition fee thing.

And can I just check, if the SAAS pay my tuition fees, do I have to pay that back
    Nope.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.