Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can't afford to buy a laptop before uni, and I don't think I could survive without a computer. Does anyone take their PC to uni and is it a terrible idea?

ReputationRep:
    In a whole accommodation block at my university, not one person had a desktop.
    But hey call it retro and you'll become the new trendsetter!

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a desktop, and several of my friends who went to Uni have done so before me and none of them have ever lamented the fact. So long as you're not bothered by a lack of portability I don't think it should be an issue. It depends what you need from your computer, really, and whether taking it home during holidays is going to be an issue for you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Retro is what I'll aim for.
    I only need it until I can buy a laptop. I guess I'll just have to get my parents to come pick it up a few weeks later.

ReputationRep:
    I have a desktop PC that i took to uni, but i also had a cheap laptop to take home at christmas because i do computing. Personally I think all the students that buy expensive laptops for uni are complete morons, as the majority of them never even leave their desk anyway. Plus desktop PCs are generally more powerfull and less expensive. Also it's nicer to look at a screen at eye level, rather than staring down at a laptop all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    I have a desktop PC that i took to uni, but i also had a cheap laptop to take home at christmas because i do computing. Personally I think all the students that buy expensive laptops for uni are complete morons, as the majority of them never even leave their desk anyway. Plus desktop PCs are generally more powerfull and less expensive. Also it's nicer to look at a screen at eye level, rather than staring down at a laptop all the time.
    But they are nowhere near as bulky or heavy as a desktop which aids when taking it to uni and back etc.

ReputationRep:
    Good few people in my halls had desktops. It's a bit less practical, but it really depends if you'll want to move it and how you get home.

For my part, I once had to take my PC home on the train at Christmas, under my arm. That was an effort. Sat it down on the ground whilst I was using an ATM and people stared at it as if it was a robot or a bomb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamer99)
    But they are nowhere near as bulky or heavy as a desktop which aids when taking it to uni and back etc.
    I have to take my desktop to and from uni once in a car. It's hardley the most taxing of things...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    I have to take my desktop to and from uni once in a car. It's hardley the most taxing of things...
    Fair enough, mine with all its mointors etc is for sure though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamer99)
    Fair enough, mine with all its mointors etc is for sure though.
    just take one monitor? It beats using a laptop for pretty much everything other than portability.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on taking my desktop PC and my 2 year old MacBook to university with me when I do my MSc. I was just going to take my laptop but decided I'd be better off with my PC as well for the extra grunt.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my desktop. I love my desktop. Everytime I use a laptop I manage to spill something on it and break it, plus the soundcards/graphics cards are never powerful enough. My PC is big and robust and I wouldn't be without it!

ReputationRep:
    I bought a new laptop for university. By the end of the year it had been in for repair, and then completly died in the summer after first year. Since then I have had a desktop with absoloutly no problems. If i need a laptop at university I borrow one for the day from the library which is really easy and i don't have to lug my laptop to and from uni.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who had one. It was fine. The only inconvenience is that you cant sit on the sofa and watch telly/ facebook at the same time. But then again, I suppose if you've never had a laptop you wouldnt miss it!

ReputationRep:
    I have had a desktop my whole time at uni and would never ever go back! Laptops tend to overheat if used intensively, and thus get slow...Also, noone ever uses laptops in my lectures, so there is no need for portability like that. I have only ever needed to use it at my desk, so there has been no need for a laptop - desktops are much nicer to do work on too, better monitor, keyboard etc, so you will be absolutely fine!

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my Desktop PC + twin monitor setup + studio amplifier + studio speakers.. as well as my laptop running linux and my tiny laptop (eee pc).

Best of all the worlds really! Shove my tinnnny laptop in my bag to take anywhere for internet, my laptop for working at the Uni, etc. and my desktop for speed/comfort and the second monitor for running my xbox through!

..I'm not a geek, honest!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.