Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Intentions)
    There is so many threads created by virgins desperate to lose their virginity. It is specially sad because almost all of them are less than 20 years old. Some are even younger which is even more shocking.

Peer pressure often dictates that being a virgin is an undesirable indication of being immature or simply being a looser.
    This is a completely false statement and every virgin out there should be aware of the fact that having sex early in life is not cool.
    Just because you are a whore (both male and female) does not make you cool for damn sake.

I find it surprising and amusing that kids aged around 16 are being proud of losing their virginity. They should be ashamed.
    What happened to the whole "no sex before marriage" thing? I am an atheist so my views are not connected to the religion in any form but I have to agree that the greatest gift to the person you love is virginity.
    There is no better thing the feeling that you are the first one and the last one.

So please society open your eyes before it is too late and we will lose the only thing that distinguishes us from animals: the ability to control our sexual desire.

Losing a virginity early is not cool and you should not do it just because others did.
    I don't understand who you think you are to say these things like they're rules. It's up to the person what they do, not for you to tell them.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly agreed. Most middle-aged people realise that they lost their virginity way too early back in their teens/youth.

And I don't wanna hear any of the people who have the attitude towards love/sex as if it were something mundane and meaningless. Those people have seriously been repressing their feelings or lost them somewhere along the way.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's hard to completely agree with the statement made in the OP, although I agree with the sentiment that young people shouldn't feel pressured by others to lose their virginity

Virginity probably means different things to different people - to some it may not be a big deal, and to others it may be much more important... much in the same way that sex can have different meanings for different people - yes; it is something that can be very romantic and is to be shared between two people who love each other very much, but it can also be about being caught up in the moment and having fun!

No one statement can be made with regards to virginity, because it can mean completely different things to different people! We all have different, valid opinions on it...

(sorry for the longish reply! )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    And I don't wanna hear any of the people who have the attitude towards love/sex as if it were something mundane and meaningless. Those people have seriously been repressing their feelings or lost them somewhere along the way.
    But surely those who do believe that love and sex are meaningful would want to experience that? And who's to say someone can't find that 'special someone' who they want to lose their virginity to at a 'young' age?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23, a virgin and never dated before. I'm not ashamed but I'm not gonna say I'm proud or boast about being a virgin too. It's not a status or something. A virgin and a non-virgin only differ from sexual experience, not as the person they are.

ReputationRep:
    There is so many threads created by virgins desperate to lose their virginity. It is specially sad because almost all of them are less than 20 years old. Some are even younger which is even more shocking.

Peer pressure often dictates that being a virgin is an undesirable indication of being immature or simply being a looser.
    This is a completely false statement and every virgin out there should be aware of the fact that having sex early in life is not cool.
    Just because you are a whore (both male and female) does not make you cool for damn sake.

I find it surprising and amusing that kids aged around 16 are being proud of losing their virginity. They should be ashamed.
    What happened to the whole "no sex before marriage" thing? I am an atheist so my views are not connected to the religion in any form but I have to agree that the greatest gift to the person you love is virginity.
    There is no better thing the feeling that you are the first one and the last one.

So please society open your eyes before it is too late and we will lose the only thing that distinguishes us from animals: the ability to control our sexual desire.

Losing a virginity early is not cool and you should not do it just because others did.
    I think people should be in a happy relationship before they do it. Going about with everyone, I think, is pointless. Young teens should definately stop thinking it's something that must be delt with a.s.a.p. 'cause then it won't mean anything, and they'll probably end up with a STI or kid

ReputationRep:

Can I give you a TSR HI-5!
    this is the 1st post which has some sense which I read this week

You people who want to open your legs wide
    because you want to get laid
    http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...i/IMGA4283.jpg
    you see this baboon
    it has more intelligence than you!
    long live the baboon
    may the yeast infection and you become buddies!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why people are so fussed about virginity, it's not all that special. Lost it at an early age? Good for you. Didn't and still virgin at 25? Likewise, whatever you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it bother you at what age other people lose their virginity? You have your beliefs about what is right and they have theirs. Why not leave it at that? If someone loses their virginity at a young age, it's not necessarily because of peer pressure. Some do it because they love who their with or simply because they enjoy it. It's up to you if you want to wait but not everyone wants to and you should respect that. Losing your virginity early doesn't necessarily make you a whore.

ReputationRep:
    Sex feels good, so why not. There may be nothing better for you than feeling that you are the first and only one, but for the majority of people thats not so. In fact, I would say that the desire for that is quite childish - as children want to be their parents most important, first, and last child. I think it's also quite a possesive feeling to want to be the only one. Humans want to have sex from the age of 14, sometimes even under. Why not have sex then, if done safely and carefully it should have no negative physical or mental reprocussions. In my school leavers year, I guess about 50% of people will have had sex. I struggle to see why anyone would want to save themselves. Sex is what you make it, it's not inherantly sacred, or exclusive, or meaningful, or dangerous, or worth saving or not doing. It is not natural however, to not have sex and refrain to marrige. it's been proven that having sex will improve ones physical and mental help. So, I don't see why anyone would refrain from having sex, when it's so good and natural.

I shall assume this is provoked by me (the 15 year old in the other thread.) I just wanted to say I don't think being a virgin or not is anything to "proud of". Its is a process that everyone will go through at some point in their lives regardless of age. I'm not desperate to loose my virginity, I just feel ready now.. besides, I resign from seeing how it is an issue to you?

ReputationRep:

If you think your view ins't influenced by religion then you have no conception of subconscious advertising. I lost my virginity at 17 to a girl I had been dating for a year, does that make me a ****?

Also what is wrong with sleeping around assuming you practice safe sex? I enjoy sex, if I have sex with numerous people who I don't love or even care for that much how does it affect me in a negative way? Don't tell me it will hurt me emotionally because I assure you, it wouldn't. It also wouldn't diminish any future relationship because sex is not the most important factor in a relationship to me, in fact it is one of the least important factors although I accept that a relationship with no sex would not work in the long run.

You claim that are ability to control are sex drives is the only thing that separates us from animals is an ignorant one. Technology, advanced culture, religion, advanced language are just a few of the things that seperate us from animals. Also being unable to control your sex drive would turn you into a rapist. Giving sex up easily does not mean you can not control your sex drive. It means you enjoy sex and see no problem in partaking in an activity you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    It is specially sad because almost all of them are less than 20 years old. which is more shocking.
    Oh come on. There is nothing 'shocking' about young adults/teenagers having sex when mature and emotionally ready. (I'm not saying they all fit this quota) Are you trying to tell me that I'm merely a 'shocking' statistic of teenage hormones exploring the depths of my sexuality? And where do you derive this information from exactly? I doubt its integrity.

Peer pressure often dictates that being a virgin is an undesirable indication of being immature or simply being a loser.
    No, and a lot of people would find comfort in knowing that there should be no pressure to have sex at any age. But what is 'cool' in your jurisdiction? Why should the fact that I and thousands of people out there who *have* engaged in sexual activity before 20 be deemed as 'uncool'. I haven't done anything wrong, I wasn't under pressure, what aspersions are you casting on people like myself? From my viewpoint you sound very judgemental.

They should be ashamed.
    I beg your pardon?! That's right, every sexually active teenager should hang their head in shame for comitting the cardinal sin that is engaging physically with another person and wear a chastity belt for the rest of their miserable adolescant lives.. What you chattin' son!?

Oh finally, light at the end of the tunnel. Losing virginity 'early' does not come into play? There is no early, late, or post-poned time to lose your virginity. There is only a *right* time for someone to do so..and god forbid, that right time MIGHT just happen when a person is at..as you call it.. an early age. No not always, that's granted. But I myself had sex before 16 and it was the right decision for me, and I don't regret it. At the end of the day, who are you to pass judgement?

Do you greatly admire SuBo then? :teeth:

If someone loses their virginity early and there were no consequences i.e. no pregnancy/STD, and it was merely a bad experience, then maybe they can just move on and gain better sexual experience, rather than regret it forever? Personally I'd regret losing it at 25 rather than 15 (which I didn't ).

ReputationRep:
    I think "ashamed" is a bit of a strong word, plenty of people lose their virginity cos they are pressured into it not cos they want to, and then its like those pringles crisps "once you pop you just can't stop."

I'm a virgin by choice myself because I believe in waiting until marriage, but I don't disrespect anyone who isn't or think any less of them because of it. I think its great when people can see from my view point and agree with me, but its not very common which I guess is a bit sad but its not for me or any other individual to say that its right or wrong for people to not remain virgins. It means more if people are virgins until marriage because they intrinsically believe it, not because its forced on them. Because if that were the case then it'd be NO better than all those people being forced INTO losing their virginity earlier.

For me if say, my friends, have lost their virginity to someone they love and they are happy about it and don't regret it then thats all that matters to me. For me personally its gona be a different journey, but I think its important not to judge people's integrity on whether or not they have lost their virginity or not.

(Original post by koko-popz)
    At the end of the day, who are you to pass judgement?
    Hear, hear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twilight fingertips)
    But surely those who do believe that love and sex are meaningful would want to experience that? And who's to say someone can't find that 'special someone' who they want to lose their virginity to at a 'young' age?
    Most teens have had about 5 "special someones". That doesn't make them special anymore. Don't get me wrong, if you've found a cool person to be with and you feel comfortable and everything, that's perfectly fine. But the truth is that most teens are diluded as to what a "special someone" is supposed to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I shall assume this is provoked by me (the 15 year old in the other thread.) I just wanted to say I don't think being a virgin or not is anything to "proud of". Its is a process that everyone will go through at some point in their lives regardless of age. I'm not desperate to loose my virginity, I just feel ready now.. besides, I resign from seeing how it is an issue to you?
    You might feel ready now but the truth is you are 15th years old.
    Yes you could be very mature, I am not saying you are not but the fact is that you are still a child. You could be very smart one, you could be very responsible one but still I know how it works because I used to be 15th myself and I know how my views about pretty much everything changed. And then few years later you will sit (just like million other teenagers) and think "I wish I had waited"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koko-popz)
    No, and a lot of people would find comfort in knowing that there should be no pressure to have sex at any age. But what is 'cool' in your jurisdiction? Why should the fact that I and thousands of people out there who *have* engaged in sexual activity before 20 be deemed as 'uncool'. I haven't done anything wrong, I wasn't under pressure, what aspersions are you casting on people like myself? From my viewpoint you sound very judgemental.
    Please read the whole thread before posting. I will not explain what I meant all over again just because someone can not be bothered to check my responses to other people.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4&postcount=77

Thank you.

And no I am not judgemental, I am just expressing my opinion which happens to be different than yours.

ReputationRep:
    THe only thing that seperates us from animals is the ability to control our sexual urges?

What about law, order, religion etc?

Seriously get off your ridiculous high horse and spread 'em

And yes you are judgmental. You are calling non-virgins at 16 "whores" which is simply not a correct use of the word, thus making it a judgement on your behalf. You are wrong on this subject, and the fact that you come across as being quite polite, well spoken etc and you like Greenpeace does not give any validity to your argument although I know you think it does.

I lost it at 16 and I don't wish I had waited at all. And I had already had wet dreams/masturbated etc so I clearly was ready for it, biologically and I used protection. Stop trying to imprint your stupid, unrealistic moral parameters on regular people.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.