Turn on thread page Beta

What is the point of a bain marie?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, Ive put some bread and butter pudding and the recipe said to put the gratin dish in a bain marie (like a dish with 2.5cm water). I didnt read that bit before i put the gratin dish in theoven, so no point taking it out now :/

So i just wanted to know, what difference does using a bain marie or not make? Will it ruin the dish if i dont use it.. i put the gratin dish straight in the oven

ReputationRep:
    It just adds moisture. It's kinda like part-baking part-steaming. If you leave the water out, it'll singe and crisp up a bit too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    It just adds moisture. It's kinda like part-baking part-steaming. If you leave the water out, it'll singe and crisp up a bit too much.
    thanks, darn.. i think ill have to make do with a dry bread and butter pudding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    Basically, Ive put some bread and butter pudding and the recipe said to put the gratin dish in a bain marie (like a dish with 2.5cm water). I didnt read that bit before i put the gratin dish in theoven, so no point taking it out now :/

So i just wanted to know, what difference does using a bain marie or not make? Will it ruin the dish if i dont use it.. i put the gratin dish straight in the oven
    It prevents the dish being cooked from boiling as it can't get any hotter than the boiling water in the bain-marie. It also heats the ingredients slower than a direct heat.

This is important when cooking things such as certain sauces and custards etc.

ReputationRep:
    It probably won't have made too much difference, so don't worry overly. I sometimes bake cheesecake in a bath of hot water, sometimes I don't, it generally tends to work out the same.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I had to do it when I was making hollandaise once, and creme brulee. I don't think it's hugely important as I've done creme brulees without it as well.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.