Turn on thread page Beta

Can you apply for both the BVC and the LPC? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I was just wondering if anyone actually knows this for sure: is it possible to apply for both the BVC and the LPC in the same year, seeing as each course is run by different bodies?

Thanks in advance for the help.

N

ReputationRep:
    I know a girl who couldn't make her mind up and managed to go to both courses' classes for about the first two weeks of term - until she got busted and was almost thrown out of law school altogether! I think she'd only paid one set of fees...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ns127)
    Hi.

I was just wondering if anyone actually knows this for sure: is it possible to apply for both the BVC and the LPC in the same year, seeing as each course is run by different bodies?

Thanks in advance for the help.

N
    You can apply for both, but as each course requires you to join the relevant professional body before you start the course, and because joining an Inn you need that form that says 'I want to be a barrister and not a solicitor' or something similar, you have to make up your mind before being accepted on to either course.

I applied for both, and was accepted on both, and so just ignored the letters from the Law Society when they came through as by that stage I had then decided on the BVC.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't decide the BVC is easier to convert than the LPC, should you not get pupillage and become a barrister (ie get a training contract/equivilent experience and pass QLTT to become a Solicitor). If you do the LPC and don't get a training contract you are not able to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you can apply for both. But its a very daft thing to do. You are just putting off a very important decision that you need to make now. The main criteria as to whether you get in is whether you can pay the fees: it isn't like getting into university.

The BVC in particular needs a great deal of committment because of how tough it is to get pupillage these days. If you can't decide between the BVC and the LPC; then you probably don't have the dedication needed to have any chance of securing pupillage and should probably go for the LPC!!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.