This discussion is closed.
tsunami
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
These can be fun and at the same time frustrating!
Anyway, can anyone have a look at Number 12 on the:

special relativity question list

If the speed of the Klingon ship relative to the enterprise is zero, how can its length as observed on the enterprise, be different to its proper length? (No speed => no lorentz transformation)

thanks again
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tsunami)

If the speed of the Klingon ship relative to the enterprise is zero, how can its length as observed on the enterprise, be different to its proper length? (No speed => no lorentz transformation)

thanks again
As the klingon ship and the enterprise are not moving relative to each other, both parties would observe each others ships to be the normal size. If another ship came along that was travelling much faster / slower relative to them then they would observe the length to be different.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't get Special Relativity .
tsunami
(Original post by Nylex)
I don't get Special Relativity .
yes we should campaign to get SR removed from physics courses lol
chrisbphd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

thanks again
I can't access this from cambridge!
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

thanks again
I thought i had seen that question before......
what college are you in?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by chrisbphd)
I can't access this from cambridge!
a bit of ox/bridge rivalry there..... the domain "ox.ac.uk" has probably been banned by the cambridge computing authorities
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

thanks again
anyway, in answer to your first question, same speed does not equal same velocity. you have to use the addition of velocities that you worked out for question 12.
tsunami
(Original post by elpaw)
anyway, in answer to your first question, same speed does not equal same velocity. you have to use the addition of velocities that you worked out for question 12.
i actually was refering to 13 and not 12, but are you saying that the enterprise and the klingon ship are moving away from each other at the same speed 0.2c so effectivly the relative vel as observed by enterprise is 0.4c??
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i actually was refering to 13 and not 12, but are you saying that the enterprise and the klingon ship are moving away from each other at the same speed 0.2c so effectivly the relative vel as observed by enterprise is 0.4c??
yes, except (if you have done q12) it isnt 0.4 c, because in relativity velocities don't add up that simply. from q12, V = (v1 + v2)/(1 + v1v2/c²) = 0.3846 c and use that to work out the length
tsunami
(Original post by elpaw)
yes, except (if you have done q12) it isnt 0.4 c, because in relativity velocities don't add up that simply. from q12, V = (v1 + v2)/(1 + v1v2/c²) = 0.3846 c and use that to work out the length
thanks!
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thanks!
what college are you in?
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes we should campaign to get SR removed from physics courses lol
I dunno, maybe when I understand it a bit better, it'll seem more interesting. Quantum Mechanics is quite boring .
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
I dunno, maybe when I understand it a bit better, it'll seem more interesting. Quantum Mechanics is quite boring .
we dont do that until trinity term. (what do other universities call their terms?)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (141)
46.23%
Take exams next summer (46)
15.08%
Change uni choice through clearing (73)
23.93%
Apply to uni next year instead (31)
10.16%
I'm not applying to university (14)
4.59%

Watched Threads